Prospect Info: MacT thinks he has more picks (UPDATE 2/16/15 Stauffer Says That We have Two 3rds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
that's 'if' this year's draft is truly as great as 'they' say. they also said Yak was... Plus, it could be alot of TSN hype. If the draft is so deep, that should make a 25th and 33th pick all the more valuable, shouldn't it?

It all comes down to how important 2015/16 is to the organization. I don't get the feeling its very high.

btw, in the said 1260 interview, Mact stated the he doesn't believe the NHL is a development league. Flies in the face of just about everything he's done and will do.

There is undeniably a lot of talent in this years draft. The key though as always is to pick the right guys. I'll bet that if you look at 30 teams first round list there will be significant differences team to team.

The CSS rankings are a little loopy but right now that Pittsburgh pick could put you in range for guys like Sprong, Svechnikov, Jeremy Roy, Nicolas Roy and surprisingly Travis Konecny. Konecny for example is small but really skilled. Despite his size he is aggressive as hell. If they go higher than some other very good players drop back.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
The part that's really head shaking to me is that most of the venom and anger felt towards the organization could have been avoided if Mactavish would have just fired Eakins in October. He should have known Eakins was on such a short leash with the fans and that the only thing that was going to save him was the team getting off to a good start this year. When it didn't happen he should have pulled the plug right then and there.

Him refusing to do what everybody but him knew had to be done really started to turn the fan base against the organization. He looked like he was making it into a battle of wills between him and the fans and media. For what purpose? His hand picked coach was a disaster. Do the right thing and move on. It was his own stubbornness that put so much focus on himself.

very well said. Isn't it interesting how often Mact has to publicly state why someone in their organization isn't being fired. Lowe is very valuable resourse, Eakins is evolving as a coach; most recently, Howsen is a good evaluator of talent. He is explaining why they are keeping what appear to be useless employees.

It isnt going to stop either. next it will be why all the scouts have remained the same.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
The part that's really head shaking to me is that most of the venom and anger felt towards the organization could have been avoided if Mactavish would have just fired Eakins in October. He should have known Eakins was on such a short leash with the fans and that the only thing that was going to save him was the team getting off to a good start this year. When it didn't happen he should have pulled the plug right then and there.

Him refusing to do what everybody but him knew had to be done really started to turn the fan base against the organization. He looked like he was making it into a battle of wills between him and the fans and media. For what purpose? His hand picked coach was a disaster. Do the right thing and move on. It was his own stubbornness that put so much focus on himself.

True. Some of the recent moves that he has made have seemingly made a positive change to the team as well...but those were moves that every fan knew needed to be made long ago. It seems as though the moves he didn't want to make(firing Eakins)where his hand was forced were some of the best things he did. Are we to commend him for this? I say no.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
True. Some of the recent moves that he has made have seemingly made a positive change to the team as well...but those were moves that every fan knew needed to be made long ago. It seems as though the moves he didn't want to make(firing Eakins)where his hand was forced were some of the best things he did. Are we to commend him for this? I say no.

exactly, and no. He said he wasn't interested in a bandaid C, then when he finally got Roy, Yak starts playing good, they have a real 2nd line and they start scoring 3-4 goals a game.

firing Eakis and getting Roy were moves he didn't want to make, and may have been forced to make.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Fire MacT!

exactly, and no. He said he wasn't interested in a bandaid C, then when he finally got Roy, Yak starts playing good, they have a real 2nd line and they start scoring 3-4 goals a game.

firing Eakis and getting Roy were moves he didn't want to make, and may have been forced to make.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Seriously for guys that "live and breathe" Oilers hockey they sure don't know wtf they are working with do they? There's no reason that we can't add at least a 2nd for Petry but there really isn't any of our guys that would return a 3rd with the possible exceptions of Purcell (minimal salary retained) and Hendricks.

I don't think we're trading Hendricks. He's worth that 1.85M because he's doing all the important things that nobody else feels like doing this year. Last year too. If Hendricks was making 3M we'd be complaining but at 1.85 we should be happy that he's bringing exactly what we need to the table.

If we eat 1.5M of Purcell's contract and take a bad contract in return that is going UFA at the end of the year I could see us getting a 3rd rounder.

If we eat 1M of Nikitin's salary next year I could see us getting a 3rd rounder.

With Petry though I think that the NHL really underrates this guy.

No he's not a 1st pairing guy on any team, but I think he's a 2nd pairing guy on more than few teams. If he's playing with a shutdown guy who's got a good outlet pass he could be money rushing the puck, playing positionally and blocking shots. If he's playing with a PMD I do see him as a 3rd pairing guy on a great team, though.

I'd really like to see Petry playing with the Penguins. I'd give him 2nd pairing minutes. Him and Legtang on different pairings would constantly give Crosby and Malkin a competent puck rusher and enable them to be more dangerous more often.

It might end up making our 1st rounder later at the end of the day, but if Arcobello, Petry and Perron are going to the finals I'm cheering for the Penguins for the first time ever no matter what.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Wasn't there a whole bunch of *****ing from hf boards gms that MacT didn't know how many picks he had?

New info?

@Bob_Stauffer: Fyi: Edmonton Oilers received St. Louis's 3rd round pick in 2015 for Edm's 4th in 2015 as a condition in the David Perron trade made...

@Bob_Stauffer: ...in the summer of 2013. So Oilers have 2 #1's (Edm, Pitt), a #2 (Edm) and 2 #3's (Ott-Hemsky trade, St. Louis) for the 2015 draft

Last edited:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Wasn't there a whole bunch of *****ing from hf boards gms that MacT didn't know how many picks he had?

It was silly *****ing then, and it's even sillier now that we know this.

Why people hang off every syllable a GM or coach or agent or player publicly says is well beyond me.

Basically, the very early 4th turns into a fairly late 3rd. Not a huge difference, but nice nonetheless.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com

New info?

@Bob_Stauffer: Fyi: Edmonton Oilers received St. Louis's 3rd round pick in 2015 for Edm's 4th in 2015 as a condition in the David Perron trade made...

@Bob_Stauffer: ...in the summer of 2013. So Oilers have 2 #1's (Edm, Pitt), a #2 (Edm) and 2 #3's (Ott-Hemsky trade, St. Louis) for the 2015 draft

thread located here:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1816377

I am guessing that a bunch of guys who posted on that thread are going to post an apology today.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Seeing as this is information that only became available this morning I don't see anyone needing to offer an apology. That said it makes the Perron trade a tad more palatable and it is one less mistake that MacT has made (in terms of knowing what picks he does/doesn't have).

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I guess it turns out MacT does know how many picks he has in the first 3 rounds. I think that might be the first thing he's been right on this whole season.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
I don't know how anyone would question the great MacT, he's shown himself to be such a fantastic GM:shakehead

I will laugh if it comes out that we didn't have an extra pick but he secretly made a deal that would allow us to get one in secret so that he wouldn't look bad.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't know how anyone would question the great MacT, he's shown himself to be such a fantastic GM:shakehead

I will laugh if it comes out that we didn't have an extra pick but he secretly made a deal that would allow us to get one in secret so that he wouldn't look bad.

Wow this chamber is echo-y.

So, this entire thread was basically "Dummy, doesn't know draft picks, derp", when in fact he was correct about his total amount of picks. The rest of his tenure is what it is, but it's stupid and disenguenous to act as if you were in the right in the "Derp, doesn't count picks, derp", when the GM had it correct, ALL ALONG.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Phone conversation:

MacT: Hey David Poile, this is MacT. I'm wondering what it would take to get Shea Weber
Poile: Ummm...how about your 2 3rd round picks in this years draft.
MacT: Really (frothing at the mouth). Done. I'll write up the papers
MacT: Hey KLowe, it's Mac T. I just got Weber for our 2 3rd round picks in this years draft.
KLowe: Holy cow. That's awesome, what a bold move. You should call Katzy and tell him the great news.
MacT: Hey Daryl, it's MacT. I just traded for Shea Weber for draft picks.
Katz: Good job buddy, you're the best!! Great work. I know you were on it.

Oilers media release: Today I announce that I made the boldest move in Oilers history in trading 2 draft picks for Shea Weber. I guess Kevin Lowe isn't the only guy who knows a thing or two about winning. That is all. Suck it. Thanks, MacT

MacT: Hi Mr. Bettman, this is Craig MacTavish from the Oilers, remember me?
Bettman: Craig? Oh ya, the guy from the team who always starts the draft by picking first? How can I help you today?
MacT: I wanted to inform you that we just traded our 2 3rd round picks in this years draft to Nashville for Shea Weber.
Bettman: Ummm, Craig. You only have 1 draft pick in the 3rd round.
MacT: (silence) Uhhhh.. really? Oh.
MacT: Hi David Poile, uhhh, MacT again. Umm...I guess I only have 1 draft pick in the 3rd round.
Poile: Hahaha...lol...I know Craig. Everyone knows that you only have 1 pick in the 3rd round. I was just *********g with you.. haha...loser. *click*

Does that mean we get Weber?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Seeing as this is information that only became available this morning I don't see anyone needing to offer an apology. That said it makes the Perron trade a tad more palatable and it is one less mistake that MacT has made (in terms of knowing what picks he does/doesn't have).

No apologies necessary at all afaic.

I think that maybe fans and posters on this and other sites need to realize that we are not always given information regarding the organization.

Having said that, why wouldn't they inform anybody of the conditional pick they got for the Perron deal with the blues?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I think that maybe fans and posters on this and other sites need to realize that we are not always given information regarding the organization.

Having said that, why wouldn't they inform anybody of the conditional pick they got for the Perron deal with the blues?

This is the first that they realized it? :sarcasm: Only kinda with this group......

Lock

Apr 5, 2008

No kidding, this management group is like a bunch of third graders who want the world to immediately recognize and acknowledge everything even remotely positive that they do.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Maybe they're hiding some top-pairing defensemen somewhere and we just don't know them yet.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

Well Stauffer said as a condition of the Perron trade we got this pick, without us actually knowing what the condition that caused us to get this pick it's hard to say when we knew for sure we were getting the pick, maybe it was something along the lines of if you don't re-sign Perron you get this conditional draft choice.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I'm going to apologize to MacT as this condition wasn't made public from what I understand and I criticized Craig MacTavish for what I assumed was a mistake in this thread. I'm sorry Craig for any comments that were offending in nature.

Also, we have another 3rd rounder, WOOOOOOO!!!!!

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
I'm going to apologize to MacT as this condition wasn't made public from what I understand and I criticized Craig MacTavish for what I assumed was a mistake in this thread. I'm sorry Craig for any comments that were offending in nature.

Also, we have another 3rd rounder, WOOOOOOO!!!!!

The way this team drafts we may as well wipe our ***** with it for all the good it'll come to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad