Prospect Info: MacT thinks he has more picks (UPDATE 2/16/15 Stauffer Says That We have Two 3rds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Why does this conversation sound so familiar to me? I don't feel like searching through old threads or looking at old interviews but didn't Mactavish screw up the number of picks he had in an interview last year too? Anybody with a better memory than me remember this?

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Eh, he got 40 games, was sent down before burning a year of RFA... Not mismanaged.

Big-time mismanaged! Sent down after the The World Juniors is unforgiveable! After his first nine games every fan knew he wasn't ready for the big leagues but guess what, MacT knew better. Kept him in a loser atmosphere for 40 games! Pure pathetic!

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
Big-time mismanaged! Sent down after the The World Juniors is unforgiveable! After his first nine games every fan knew he wasn't ready for the big leagues but guess what, MacT knew better. Kept him in a loser atmosphere for 40 games! Pure pathetic!

The WJHC thing... well, he was there twice. You have a point there.

No, it was not clear after 9 games that Drai specifically was not going to be able to hack it.

Check out the Draisaitl thread, it was far from clear.

As for being in a loser atmosphere, you can say that about any of our prospects.

Drai has the upper hand here in his development in that he only spent 40 games here before going to a winning atmosphere on a stacked dub team.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown

FYI: The other option was sending him back to PA where the team was in turmoil and the coach was fired around Halloween. And PA is terrible. And PA has nearly no track record in developing high end prospects.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Of all the dumb things Oilers management have said and done over the past few years, mistaking the number of third round picks they have in the upcoming draft seems pretty minor to me.

lol, this is the gm of the team, the one that is 'on it'

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
The WJHC thing... well, he was there twice. You have a point there.

No, it was not clear after 9 games that Drai specifically was not going to be able to hack it.

Check out the Draisaitl thread, it was far from clear.

As for being in a loser atmosphere, you can say that about any of our prospects.

Drai has the upper hand here in his development in that he only spent 40 games here before going to a winning atmosphere on a stacked dub team.

It was clear for everybody I communicate with. When he's an 18 yar old 'prospect' in a loser situation in the NHL its a bigger concern. The older prospects that made the team off and on like.. Klefbom whom is 21, Pitlick(23),
Pinz(30), Lander who's almost 24 have more maturity and development than Drai and less likely to have a loser situation stunt their careers.

FYI: The other option was sending him back to PA where the team was in turmoil and the coach was fired around Halloween. And PA is terrible. And PA has nearly no track record in developing high end prospects.
So what, that's at a unior level. Who knows how that team might have fared with Drai in their lineup. If all else fails, he would still dominate an continue wit his confidence which has positive implications on furthering his development. Turmoil on a junior team is <<<< NHL team.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Why does this conversation sound so familiar to me? I don't feel like searching through old threads or looking at old interviews but didn't Mactavish screw up the number of picks he had in an interview last year too? Anybody with a better memory than me remember this?

I am feeling the de ja vu on this as well. I think it may have been a few years ago, possibly the 4th we traded for Smithson when we loaded up for our big playoff push.:sarcasm: Or the 4th we traded for Mike Brown.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
They were talking about why the scouts were all congregated in OKC for their mid season meetings. I would be concerned if they werent preparing for the draft. What else would you expect them to be doing?

I guess I have to re-post this quote:

“The primary focal point of our organization right now is in preparation for this upcoming draft. â€

It's a 100% given that the scouts are working on the draft, common sense. Having a GM give the quote above, 1/2 way though the season, before the trade deadline, 3 weeks after giving a terse presser and response when asked about 'draft position' is a tad out of sorts would you not agree?

At least we now know a point of time reference for MacT 'up coming' = 5 1/2 months

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

#1 priority is what is good for the team.
#2 priority is what is good for a prospect.

Using your own nhl team as a farm team is hilarious. They could have encouraged a trade earlier they couldd have sent him to europe no>?

He was up here because MacT thought he and Arco would do the job.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So the primary focus is the draft. Well, that's the problem right there. The primary focus has been the draft for the last 6 years.

How about focusing on ya know, like, improving the team currently. Ya know, the black hole at center, the lack of NHL Dmen, the lack of starting caliber goalies. Things that NHL teams need to ya know, win games. Or the fact that "the core" needs to be made touchable.

I don't even care that he didn't know that the Oilers dealt away their second 3rd rounder because that's just another in a long line of Craig's idiocracies but how about focusing on something other than the draft for a change.

It's ok though because Craig's on it, Craig is a smart man because he has an MBA, Craig knows a thing or two about winning.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
So the primary focus is the draft. Well, that's the problem right there. The primary focus has been the draft for the last 6 years.

How about focusing on ya know, like, improving the team currently. Ya know, the black hole at center, the lack of NHL Dmen, the lack of starting caliber goalies. Things that NHL teams need to ya know, win games. Or the fact that "the core" needs to be made touchable.

I don't even care that he didn't know that the Oilers dealt away their second 3rd rounder because that's just another in a long line of Craig's idiocracies but how about focusing on something other than the draft for a change.

It's ok though because Craig's on it, Craig is a smart man because he has an MBA, Craig knows a thing or two about winning.

I'm more concerned with the D than anything. Re-sign Roy, make Draisaitl fight him for it. And that's assuming we don't get McEichel.

If we don't, then we need D.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Phone conversation:

MacT: Hey David Poile, this is MacT. I'm wondering what it would take to get Shea Weber
Poile: Ummm...how about your 2 3rd round picks in this years draft.
MacT: Really (frothing at the mouth). Done. I'll write up the papers
MacT: Hey KLowe, it's Mac T. I just got Weber for our 2 3rd round picks in this years draft.
KLowe: Holy cow. That's awesome, what a bold move. You should call Katzy and tell him the great news.
MacT: Hey Daryl, it's MacT. I just traded for Shea Weber for draft picks.
Katz: Good job buddy, you're the best!! Great work. I know you were on it.

Oilers media release: Today I announce that I made the boldest move in Oilers history in trading 2 draft picks for Shea Weber. I guess Kevin Lowe isn't the only guy who knows a thing or two about winning. That is all. Suck it. Thanks, MacT

MacT: Hi Mr. Bettman, this is Craig MacTavish from the Oilers, remember me?
Bettman: Craig? Oh ya, the guy from the team who always starts the draft by picking first? How can I help you today?
MacT: I wanted to inform you that we just traded our 2 3rd round picks in this years draft to Nashville for Shea Weber.
Bettman: Ummm, Craig. You only have 1 draft pick in the 3rd round.
MacT: (silence) Uhhhh.. really? Oh.
MacT: Hi David Poile, uhhh, MacT again. Umm...I guess I only have 1 draft pick in the 3rd round.
Poile: Hahaha...lol...I know Craig. Everyone knows that you only have 1 pick in the 3rd round. I was just *********g with you.. haha...loser. *click*

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
lol, this is the gm of the team, the one that is 'on it'

I have no faith that MacT can fix this team. I feel that way for many different reasons, none of which are because he doesn't know how many 3rd round picks he currently has.

So what, that's at a unior level. Who knows how that team might have fared with Drai in their lineup. If all else fails, he would still dominate an continue wit his confidence which has positive implications on furthering his development. Turmoil on a junior team is <<<< NHL team.

I'm confident Drai learned more in his time in Edmonton than he would have in PA. Although it is early, the time he spent in Edmonton does not look like it has negatively affected his play with the Rockets.

#1 priority is what is good for the team.
#2 priority is what is good for a prospect.

Using your own nhl team as a farm team is hilarious. They could have encouraged a trade earlier they couldd have sent him to europe no>?

He was up here because MacT thought he and Arco would do the job.

MacT ****ed up by going in the season with no depth at C and no NHL goalies. Full stop. In a perfect world the Oilers have plenty of C options and Drai goes to the Rockets (because they're a good team, with a good track record of developing NHL talent) after his ninth game. Unfortunately MacT was so bad at his job that he basically had to keep Drai because even though he struggled, because Drai was still a better option for the team than the other guys on the depth chart.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

My memory isn't the greatest at times, but yeah. I remember.

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
The truly crazy thing is that he still believes he's going to have a job here in June. If there's any justice in this Universe, his will be the first pink slip delivered, on his desk, first thing Monday morning April 13. He can take his ass-hat buddies with him too.

w8i6ho2.gif

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
If only he had an extra 11m kicking around he could in theory look forward to free agency. But I guess we love having significant amounts of money tied into **** players.

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
Phone conversation:

MacT: Hey David Poile, this is MacT. I'm wondering what it would take to get Shea Weber
MacT: Hey KLowe, it's Mac T. I just got Weber for our 2 3rd round picks in this years draft.
KLowe: Holy cow. That's awesome, what a bold move. You should call Katzy and tell him the great news.

Oilers media release: Today I announce that I made the boldest move in Oilers history in trading 2 draft picks for Shea Weber. I guess Kevin Lowe isn't the only guy who knows a thing or two about winning. That is all. Suck it. Thanks, MacT

Bettman: Craig? Oh ya, the guy from the team who always starts the draft by picking first? How can I help you today?
MacT: I wanted to inform you that we just traded our 2 3rd round picks in this years draft to Nashville for Shea Weber.
MacT: Hi David Poile, uhhh, MacT again. Umm...I guess I only have 1 draft pick in the 3rd round.
Poile: Hahaha...lol...I know Craig. Everyone knows that you only have 1 pick in the 3rd round. I was just *********g with you.. haha...loser. *click*

Lol The sad part is that this could actually happen.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
Phone conversation:

haha :handclap:

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Phone conversation:

Post of the day for sure.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
Phone conversation:

I lol'd

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Realistically guys this draft is massive for us. When you have a deep draft like this one supposedly is and you have a handful of exceptional players at the top of the draft you cannot afford to **** it up. We're talking MA Pouliot over Parise, Perry, etc. all over again. We simply cannot afford that to happen. On the flip side if we aren't dealing picks then we will be dealing prospects or NHL players to try and fill holes in our roster that aren't filled by this years top pick and the likes of Nurse and Draisaitl. This could well mean that one of Eberle or Yakupov becomes that player that gets dealt in a package deal.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Realistically guys this draft is massive for us. When you have a deep draft like this one supposedly is and you have a handful of exceptional players at the top of the draft you cannot afford to **** it up. We're talking MA Pouliot over Parise, Perry, etc. all over again. We simply cannot afford that to happen. On the flip side if we aren't dealing picks then we will be dealing prospects or NHL players to try and fill holes in our roster that aren't filled by this years top pick and the likes of Nurse and Draisaitl. This could well mean that one of Eberle or Yakupov becomes that player that gets dealt in a package deal.

Love your optimism but I am all but certain there have been solid deals on the table for Mac T but he over values his players and is afraid to make mistake.

Only a rumor but if Simmonds was available for Eberle last year he should have jumped on that like a starving dog on a bone.

Mac T is anything but bold. I was a fan of a lot of his personnel moves but for every good one he has a bad one. His hiring Eakins and keeping him well past his due date, seals him as grossly incompetent.

The drafting has largely been a failure to date even tho I still have hope for a lot of our prospects. I just don't see how this draft can change our fortunes with the joke that is the Oilers management overseeing it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad