Prospect Info: MacT thinks he has more picks (UPDATE 2/16/15 Stauffer Says That We have Two 3rds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
Love your optimism but I am all but certain there have been solid deals on the table for Mac T but he over values his players and is afraid to make mistake.

Only a rumor but if Simmonds was available for Eberle last year he should have jumped on that like a starving dog on a bone.

Mac T is anything but bold. I was a fan of a lot of his personnel moves but for every good one he has a bad one. His hiring Eakins and keeping him well past his due date, seals him as grossly incompetent.

The drafting has largely been a failure to date even tho I still have hope for a lot of our prospects. I just don't see how this draft can change our fortunes with the joke that is the Oilers management overseeing it all.

No questions asked! Similar skill sets but Simmonds is a fiery player.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
Love your optimism but I am all but certain there have been solid deals on the table for Mac T but he over values his players and is afraid to make mistake.

Only a rumor but if Simmonds was available for Eberle last year he should have jumped on that like a starving dog on a bone.

Mac T is anything but bold. I was a fan of a lot of his personnel moves but for every good one he has a bad one. His hiring Eakins and keeping him well past his due date, seals him as grossly incompetent.

The drafting has largely been a failure to date even tho I still have hope for a lot of our prospects. I just don't see how this draft can change our fortunes with the joke that is the Oilers management overseeing it all.

Agreed with all above. I can tell MacT is trying but hiring Eakins should be grounds for dismissal of MacT. THat was a brutal mvoe and any good he does he does something equally stupid. I was a big MacT fan but that's slipping on a daily basis.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
So just read this on the sportsnet.ca site...

"Combine the first-rounder acquired from Pittsburgh in the David Perron deal with the third-rounders nabbed from Tampa Bay (Eric Brewer trade) and Ottawa (Ales Hemsky deal), and the Oilers now hold five picks in the first three rounds. They could have three of the first 31 or 32 overall selections."

Eric Brewer trade? wtf?
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...actavish-bob-green-nhl-draft-2015-trade-pick/

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No questions asked! Similar skill sets but Simmonds is a fiery player.

Well if you want to play that game, really the Oilers probably could've had Tyler Seguin for Jordan Eberle twice ... once at the draft and again when Boston was shopping him.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

"Combine the first-rounder acquired from Pittsburgh in the David Perron deal with the third-rounders nabbed from Tampa Bay (Eric Brewer trade) and Ottawa (Ales Hemsky deal), and the Oilers now hold five picks in the first three rounds. They could have three of the first 31 or 32 overall selections."

Eric Brewer trade? wtf?
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...actavish-bob-green-nhl-draft-2015-trade-pick/

Wow, go Wikipedia go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NHL_Entry_Draft

The Edmonton Oilers' third-round pick will go to the Tampa Bay Lightning as the result of a trade on November 28, 2014 that sent Eric Brewer to Anaheim in exchange for this pick.[27]
Anaheim previously acquired this pick as the result of a trade on March 4, 2014 that sent Viktor Fasth to Edmonton in exchange for a fifth-round pick in 2014 and this pick.[28]

Uh, doesn't appear that we still have that pick. It goes TO Tampa because of the Brewer trade. Fail SN.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

Eric Brewer trade? wtf?

Sportsnet is just brilliant like that. They've got parts of it right, but as a whole it's wrong. Our third was dealt to Anaheim last deadline for Fasth. Then this year Anaheim shipped that third to Tampa for Eric Brewer. So our third belongs to Tampa.

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
Well if you want to play that game, really the Oilers probably could've had Tyler Seguin for Jordan Eberle twice ... once at the draft and again when Boston was shopping him.

Then why didnt they? Seguin>>>Eberle. They should have done it.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Somehow, this is less embarrassing than his quotes on "Norris" Schultz and "10 year man" Eakins

What a ****ing horrible GM

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
i heard MacT being interview on the 1260s pregame show. He talked about Pittsburg's pick as being an important player for them. They have 3 picks in top 32 and, i believe fully intend to use all 3.

It's pretty clear that Rebuild 3.0 has been fully adopted.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
i heard MacT being interview on the 1260s pregame show. He talked about Pittsburg's pick as being an important player for them. They have 3 picks in top 32 and, i believe fully intend to use all 3.

I'd rather he sell off '16 picks for players than this draft's picks. If we use all our picks this year, and sell them all off next year, and make the team better with them, I applaud the man. Some call the first two rounds of this year being ala 2003

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I'd rather he sell off '16 picks for players than this draft's picks. If we use all our picks this year, and sell them all off next year, and make the team better with them, I applaud the man. Some call the first two rounds of this year being ala 2003

that's 'if' this year's draft is truly as great as 'they' say. they also said Yak was... Plus, it could be alot of TSN hype. If the draft is so deep, that should make a 25th and 33th pick all the more valuable, shouldn't it?

It all comes down to how important 2015/16 is to the organization. I don't get the feeling its very high.

btw, in the said 1260 interview, Mact stated the he doesn't believe the NHL is a development league. Flies in the face of just about everything he's done and will do.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
btw, in the said 1260 interview, Mact stated the he doesn't believe the NHL is a development league. Flies in the face of just about everything he's done and will do.
Mactavish has seemed to change his mind repeatedly over what the present and long term goals of this franchise are. The guy is in over his head even more than Eakins was. The worst part is it looks like Nelson, a guy he had absolutely no use for whatsoever when he first became GM (probably because he was a Tambellini hire), is going to save his job.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Recently I think MacT sounds like a guy with zero fear of losing his job. He's got that overconfident way about him again. I think the results from the forensic evaluation just came in. The conclusion? It was all Tambo's fault.

Deleted member 241491

Phone conversation:

MacT: Hey David Poile, this is MacT. I'm wondering what it would take to get Shea Weber
Poile: Ummm...how about your 2 3rd round picks in this years draft.
MacT: Really (frothing at the mouth). Done. I'll write up the papers
MacT: Hey KLowe, it's Mac T. I just got Weber for our 2 3rd round picks in this years draft.
KLowe: Holy cow. That's awesome, what a bold move. You should call Katzy and tell him the great news.
MacT: Hey Daryl, it's MacT. I just traded for Shea Weber for draft picks.
Katz: Good job buddy, you're the best!! Great work. I know you were on it.

Oilers media release: Today I announce that I made the boldest move in Oilers history in trading 2 draft picks for Shea Weber. I guess Kevin Lowe isn't the only guy who knows a thing or two about winning. That is all. Suck it. Thanks, MacT

MacT: Hi Mr. Bettman, this is Craig MacTavish from the Oilers, remember me?
Bettman: Craig? Oh ya, the guy from the team who always starts the draft by picking first? How can I help you today?
MacT: I wanted to inform you that we just traded our 2 3rd round picks in this years draft to Nashville for Shea Weber.
Bettman: Ummm, Craig. You only have 1 draft pick in the 3rd round.
MacT: (silence) Uhhhh.. really? Oh.
MacT: Hi David Poile, uhhh, MacT again. Umm...I guess I only have 1 draft pick in the 3rd round.
Poile: Hahaha...lol...I know Craig. Everyone knows that you only have 1 pick in the 3rd round. I was just *********g with you.. haha...loser. *click*
Thanks. I had a good laugh...

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Recently I think MacT sounds like a guy with zero fear of losing his job. He's got that overconfident way about him again. I think the results from the forensic evaluation just came in. The conclusion? It was all Tambo's fault.
Refusing to fire Eakins was causing him so much stress. Nelson is making his life easier now, to the point where the team DOES actually look visually better. Waiting as long as he did just proves how terrible he is at his job. I agree with you that I suspect his job has been saved. It's a shame for Oiler fans because it just means we're stuck in the bottom third of the league for as long as he's here.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

agreed. If he ever was part of the forensic. Wouldn't be surprized if the whole exercise was to find something other than themselves to blame. think about it; they'd already fired everyone else. there were only 3 options left:

1. fire themselves (not an option)
2. do nothing (what they wish they could have done, but not really an option)
3. have a forensic to appear to be doing something, buy time, and hopefully discover something/someone to point the finger at.

It appears to have worked.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
agreed. If he ever was part of the forensic. Wouldn't be surprized if the whole exercise was to find something other than themselves to blame. think about it; they'd already fired everyone else. there were only 3 options left:

1. fire themselves (not an option)
2. do nothing (what they wish they could have done, but not really an option)
3. have a forensic to appear to be doing something, buy time, and hopefully discover something/someone to point the finger at.

It appears to have worked.
The part that's really head shaking to me is that most of the venom and anger felt towards the organization could have been avoided if Mactavish would have just fired Eakins in October. He should have known Eakins was on such a short leash with the fans and that the only thing that was going to save him was the team getting off to a good start this year. When it didn't happen he should have pulled the plug right then and there.

Him refusing to do what everybody but him knew had to be done really started to turn the fan base against the organization. He looked like he was making it into a battle of wills between him and the fans and media. For what purpose? His hand picked coach was a disaster. Do the right thing and move on. It was his own stubbornness that put so much focus on himself.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Seriously for guys that "live and breathe" Oilers hockey they sure don't know wtf they are working with do they? There's no reason that we can't add at least a 2nd for Petry but there really isn't any of our guys that would return a 3rd with the possible exceptions of Purcell (minimal salary retained) and Hendricks.

And they all should be traded because
Petry is not gonna sign extension
Purcell is soft
Hendricks will dealing next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad