Prospect Info: MacT thinks he has more picks (UPDATE 2/16/15 Stauffer Says That We have Two 3rds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
Just watched MacT interview in OKC. He was talking about the 2015 draft. He said the Oil have 2 picks in the 3 Rd round. That would be true if he didn't trade the oilers pick to Anaheim for Fasth. We have Ottawas pick for Hemsky. I thought I missed something so I checked the nhl's recorded transactions in the 3 Rd round. Nothing.Am I surprised that our GM has no clue. This is truly unbelievable. Total incompetence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Heading into a very important draft for the Oilers with two first rounders, a high second-round pick and two third rounders in the deepest draft since 2003, MacTavish felt it was important to have someone in this role who works well within the group.

Actually this is an excellent catch. Am I missing something here?

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=36076

Might be the writer making a mistake himself and not MacT.

EDIT: MacT's own quote is here:

“It’s an extremely important draft. The primary focal point of our organization right now is in preparation for this upcoming draft. We now have Pittsburgh’s first-round pick. We have two first round picks. We’re going to get an early pick in the second round so that’s going to be a pick that we’ve got to utilize very well. And then we’ve got two third-round draft choices. It’s essential that we do very well at this year’s draft.”

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=36078

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Seriously for guys that "live and breathe" Oilers hockey they sure don't know wtf they are working with do they? There's no reason that we can't add at least a 2nd for Petry but there really isn't any of our guys that would return a 3rd with the possible exceptions of Purcell (minimal salary retained) and Hendricks.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
He's probably just thinking of the 4th round pick being just like a late 3rd rounder since it'll be at the start of the round... lucky for the Oilers they draft early in every single round every year. :)

Of course he could also already be planning on trading that Pittsburgh 1st for a 3rd, 4th and 2 7ths and just jumped the gun by letting it slip out.

All we know for certain is MacT is on it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's probably just thinking of the 4th round pick being just like a late 3rd rounder since it'll be at the start of the round... lucky for the Oilers they draft early in every single round every year. :)

Of course he could also already be planning on trading that Pittsburgh 1st for a 3rd, 4th and 2 7ths and just jumped the gun by letting it slip out.

All we know for certain is MacT is on it.

Yet they still can't draft worth a **** for the most part. Early in the rebuild my though process was to get a ton of picks and go hog wild. That only works if you draft decent players and develop them worth a damn. Oh well at least we have the same guys in place to draft in this draft that we have the last number of drafts right? :help:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I was fully onboard the rebuild bandwagon as well when it looked like the most logical road to possibly getting the team back on the road to contention again.

I unfortunately naively vastly underestimated the incompetence, arrogance and ineptness of this management group.

4-6 years has turned into infinity.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I was fully onboard the rebuild bandwagon as well when it looked like the most logical road to possibly getting the team back on the road to contention again.

I unfortunately naively vastly underestimated the incompetence, arrogance and ineptness of this management group.

4-6 years has turned into infinity.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He has that 2nd 3rd rounder ear marked for Tkachev I bet.

Vintage Oiler management. more disturbing though is this part of his quote.

“The primary focal point of our organization right now is in preparation for this upcoming draft. â€

Half way through the season and the teams focal point is on the draft. This after his last press conference where he bristled at the question about draft position and said we are not worrying about that!

Are these guys just poor liars or are they really that stupid, I can never figure out which.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad