Confirmed with Link: MacLellan named GM, Trotz Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
Shiny Barry Trotz. Shiny!

@TSNSimmer: Shocking hiring of Brian MacLellan. I've never met a lazier/less passionate hockey man. @washcaps At times you shake your head. #Laughable

Simpson worked in the Caps front office from the late 90's to 2004.

At least McPhee was passionate. This turd doesn't even have that

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Shiny Barry Trotz. Shiny!

@TSNSimmer: Shocking hiring of Brian MacLellan. I've never met a lazier/less passionate hockey man. @washcaps At times you shake your head. #Laughable

Simpson worked in the Caps front office from the late 90's to 2004.

Awesome.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
A month ago, when #Caps fired McPhee, Leonsis said he wanted a “fresh set of eyes and new voiceâ€. MacLellan has been w/ the team since 2000

:laugh:

Now that we know the boy has been with the Caps since 2000 I am extremely negative about this promotion. It's just a blatant "sleight of hand" card trick for us fans. "We need new eyes here. Promote this man who has been with this organization!"

Yeah this smells like some BS on the fresh eyes/voice stuff. Knee jerk reaction in the immediate sense seems clear that power is more to Patrick/ownership...unless MacLellan will change that. As others have said pro scouting doesn't seem to be that good the past several years.

On the humorous note maybe this is GMGM's revenge to keep trolling his hat0rs now that his acolyte has assumed power.

968e54a0f2360a2bf4db3e1e0266c21f2724d881f310935764491a1ffb38277b.jpg

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
Wow. Was expecting a GM to be named and consulted with before a coach decision was made. As many have mentioned Lenosis wanted a bramf new regime, instead got a man thats been here fora while. The Trotz pick up is awesome for you guys, iffy on the GM.

Liberati0n*

Wow. I really didn't think this would actually happen. I have no way, past the twitter Langway posted, to judge him personally, but every other thing about the decision is horrible. What a bunch of ****ing losers.

Sep 19, 2008
It's not like GMGM's tenure was a complete cluster****. They've been great at 1st round picks and trades for the most part. And it's not like Shero has put together some masterful team of late round picks. He took Jordan Staal over Toews, Nick, and Kessel, pretty much the biggest call of his career, that or trading for Hossa.

Then hire Fenton.

MacClellan positives and negatives. First the positives: He's worked in this organization for over a decade. He's been the director of player scouting so he's got a keen eye for talent, I would think.

Negative: He has been with this organization for over a decade and is well-versed in the culture of mediocrity here. What makes anyone think that culture would disappear when a guy who has largely been with this team throughout that said mediocrity is promoted?

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Is there any evidence to support these claims?

Not really, just my opinion. And it will help me not overreact to this hiring until we see what he's made of this offseason. Not going to bash the hiring until we see what he can do. Doesn't mean I'm completely satisfied though.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
MacLellan is not a thrilling choice, based on what's known, and reeks of more of the same limited accountability and opaque transparency that accompanied GMGM's tenure. Why not cast a wider net? How can what he's learned in his ~14 years with this organization prepare him to take this team to the cup?

Liberati0n*

Then hire Fenton.

MacClellan positives and negatives. First the positives: He's worked in this organization for over a decade. He's been the director of player scouting so he's got a keen eye for talent, I would think.

Negative: He has been with this organization for over a decade and is well-versed in the culture of mediocrity here. What makes anyone think that culture would disappear when a guy who has largely been with this team throughout that said mediocrity is promoted?

So...no positives then?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The claim that the interviews would be conducted with no media attention so candidates feelings wouldn't get hurt was a big tip off. It reeked of BS then and now it looks like a cover up for keeping a token round of interviews secret while the AGM was already penciled in as a younger, cheaper option that will continue the Ted and Dick plan.

Maybe the new guy will kick ass. We have to hope. But the way this was done and the result they landed on does not inspire confidence that they've really changed their tune or want voices outside the cult rocking the boat.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I don't know...I kinda like it.

If this means the entire scouting group is still intact, and Mac can make the right moves...this works out well.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
@nateewell: Excited for Mac and Caps. Will carry on best traits of GMGM while bringing fresh perspective. Like this move a lot.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@TSNSimmer: He got close with [Caps scout] Chris Patrick. Talked [h]is way in with Dick Patrick [Chris' father]. @JasonLaCanfora This is a sad day for @washcaps

Of course, on a personal level, his last direct knowledge of the man is likely ten years ago when Simpson was fired. But, yes, not exactly a quality you want associated with your GM in the past. Given ownership's past history of meddling you can't help but wonder if it's just fundamentally more of the same. Was he the best candidate merely because he knew what they wanted to hear?

Maybe MacLellan is a better pro evaluator. I don't know. I don't expect him to rock the boat, though, and I doubt Trotz alone is the answer. Will they at least allow Trotz to assemble his own assistant staff or is he the only improvement allowed?

They're ****ing lucky that Trotz coached their AHL team way back when I guess. Otherwise it would have been Mark French or someone else within their bubble.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
@nateewell: Mac isn't flashy - @SergeyKocharov may have his work cut out for him - but a real sharp hockey man.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Let's not fire him quite yet. Maybe he disagreed with many of the things George did. Maybe he is a rising star. Maybe none of the other candidates were any good. Maybe they see Shero, Gillis, any of the other ex-gms as crap. Maybe all the other guys wanted to bring in their own scouts and they believe in Mahoney. Maybe Ted/Dick wanted to keep control. Maybe they liked McPhee a lot and wanted someone similar. Honestly we don't know how he will fair, but let's not pass judgement before he fails.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Very excited on Trotz and will reserve my opinion on MacLellan until after this season. From what I know about him so far he is better with pro talent evaluation than George and in my books is 2 for 2 so far he traded Halak for a 4th and got Trotz to coach this team. Should be interesting but I am not worried, I think the roster from this past season could have made the playoffs with a real coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad