Confirmed with Link: MacLellan named GM, Trotz Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

LifetimeUFA

Apr 12, 2014
After letting McPhee go, Ted said he wanted a fresh set of eyes, this move tooootally makes sense

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Huh, that's a surprise. I'll reserve judgment, but my instinct is to be disappointed. Happy about Trotz, though.

Burgh32

Aug 15, 2005
S.J
I think Ted 'n Dick are fools. I expect MacLellan is just another lapdog that was hired to submit to Ted 'n Dick's whims. I think Trotz is a better than average coach.

But I will reserve full judgment until MacLellan gets a chance to build over the summer.

That's the one fear about hiring MacLellan. We heard about how McPhee was 'outvoted' by the bosses on some key hockey decisions. I hope MacLellan isn't being hired because they feel he will resist less than the others with pedigree that they interviewed.

I wasn't as big of a fan of Shero as others here, but I think I'd much preferred the fresh voice and experience than the promotion from within.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
maybe its unfair to blame MacLellan for GMGMs failures, who knows how much power he had. meanwhile he's succeeded in the roles he had, i guess we'll see how he does.

Yep. Ted said he wanted a fresh set of eyes. Will be interesting to see the presser. And this offseason.

Sep 19, 2008
A month ago, when #Caps fired McPhee, Leonsis said he wanted a “fresh set of eyes and new voice”. MacLellan has been w/ the team since 2000

:laugh:

Now that we know the boy has been with the Caps since 2000 I am extremely negative about this promotion. It's just a blatant "sleight of hand" card trick for us fans. "We need new eyes here. Promote this man who has been with this organization!"

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We all should have seen both these moves coming. Fits perfectly with the Ted and Dick Capitals Family Hour. Mac will have to work outside the GMGM box to get any credit for being more than a clone.

Reeks of technical change without upsetting the DP apple cart of control.

Burgh32

Aug 15, 2005
S.J
Pray that MacLellan values Centers and Defenseman slightly more than McPhee did. The two most important positions on a team and... well....

LifetimeUFA

Apr 12, 2014
The fact that they didnt even talk to Shero is leaving me speechless, i just dont get Ted and DP

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Huh, that's a surprise. I'll reserve judgment, but my instinct is to be disappointed. Happy about Trotz, though.

Yeah. Trotz was a great hire. Probably more important than the GM hire tbh. The team will play the right way under him and hopefully create a successful culture as an organization.

If MacLellan makes a couple good moves this offseason this is a contender next year.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Shiny Barry Trotz. Shiny!

@TSNSimmer: Shocking hiring of Brian MacLellan. I've never met a lazier/less passionate hockey man. @washcaps At times you shake your head. #Laughable

Simpson worked in the Caps front office from the late 90's to 2004.

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
...completely doing the opposite of what they said they'd do

Maybe the hockey gods will smile down on us...most likely not tho cuz Caps

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Pray that MacLellan values Centers and Defenseman slightly more than McPhee did. The two most important positions on a team and... well....

He wouldn't have been hired if he didn't think this team needed some changes that GMGM never made. Ted is many things but he's not dumb. He knew the fanbase was pissed. He knows this hire doesn't do much to help that. This guy can't be too much like GMGM. I would have rather had Shero, Fenton, or Sweeney but for some reason I'm slightly optimistic that GMBM will learn from McPhee's failures. We shall see.

RockDaRed

May 13, 2013
Richmond,VA
**** this!! I told you they would screw this up. Tons of candidates to run the show but Ted can't give up a once of ****ing power. Screw you sir. Poor trotz. You should have gone somewhere else where people actually get a real chance to succeed. Sorry in advance to your failed coaching career here.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
I wish Ted still did the email thing so I could tell him
how big of a clown he is. Can't wait till TXPD gets in here to defend Ted.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The interview process was a sham. Go back and listen to the post-firing presser and all of the signs were there for this to be their loaded inclination.

My impression as well. Plan B may have been Plan A from the start.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
He wouldn't have been hired if he didn't think this team needed some changes that GMGM never made. Ted is many things but he's not dumb. He knew the fanbase was pissed. He knows this hire doesn't do much to help that. This guy can't be too much like GMGM. I would have rather had Shero, Fenton, or Sweeney but for some reason I'm slightly optimistic that GMBM will learn from McPhee's failures. We shall see.

Is there any evidence to support these claims?

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
The simple question is what can we expect to be done differently by MacLellan?

And the complex question is will Leonsis continue to meddle? If so, how much?

Fine with the Trotz hiring.

Wonder if this means that Mahoney and Co. have a better chance of staying? You'd think so.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
It's not like GMGM's tenure was a complete cluster****. They've been great at 1st round picks and trades for the most part. And it's not like Shero has put together some masterful team of late round picks. He took Jordan Staal over Toews, Nick, and Kessel, pretty much the biggest call of his career, that or trading for Hossa.

fsnoles98

Mar 16, 2009
Ted promotes within the good ole boys network to keep control. Not seeing any light of day in this hire as GM. Good hire for coach. Ted is becoming the Jerry Jones of the NHL, has NO hockey knowledge but wants to think he does. This team will again not see a Stanley cup with this kind of management making decisions like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia