Confirmed with Link: MacLellan named GM, Trotz Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Going to reserve judgement on MacLellan until after this offseason. Lets see what this guys made of.

Sep 19, 2008
MacClellan is an insider who has already been familiar with the current culture of mediocrity. Perhaps the FO knows something we don't about the lad. I'd have gotten someone like Shero who has a track record of winning a cup and at least going out there and making an improvement. I'm aware of his downfalls at Pittsburgh, but a new chance could have helped him out.

MacClellan has no experience at all being a GM. It must say something about him if the FO is willing to put the franchise in the hands of someone so raw and green. Good luck

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Kind of expected it...what do we know about him? Has he blindly supported GMGM or has he opposed his direction?

I guess we won't know.

Where was he before he became assistant GM?

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
He'll have to be able to identify out weaknesses and make moves to fix them. I'd also like to see a move to a more analytical game.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
If MacLellan can be like GMGM but communicate with the coaches and agents better, and learn from GMGM's failures to truly upgrade the roster then he will be pretty successful. I highly doubt he would be hired as GM if he had the same exact view of the roster as GMGM had. As I stated earlier I will give him a chance before I make judgement. This offseason will tell us a lot about him.

Assistant GMs aren't always clones of their bosses either, are they? Shero came from conservative Nashville and became a pretty bold GM. Chiarelli came from Ottawa who isn't a very tough team to Boston and built a tough, well rounded machine.

Only explanation for this is that he obviously didn't have the same opinion as George on this roster. Lets give him a chance.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Everyday the organization take one step closer to becoming the next Islanders and Panthers.

Burakovsky95*

Really looks like the owner and president really wanted Trotz but any GM candidate outside the organization would have wanted to interview more for the coaching job. Which led to this.

WNY to NoVA

May 16, 2011
If MacLellan can be like GMGM but communicate with the coaches and agents better, and learn from GMGM's failures to truly upgrade the roster then he will be pretty successful. I highly doubt he would be hired as GM if he had the same exact view of the roster as GMGM had.

so, be a totally different better GM than the one he "studied" under?

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I think Ted 'n Dick are fools. I expect MacLellan is just another lapdog that was hired to submit to Ted 'n Dick's whims. I think Trotz is a better than average coach.

But I will reserve full judgment until MacLellan gets a chance to build over the summer.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The interview process was a sham. Go back and listen to the post-firing presser and all of the signs were there for this to be their loaded inclination.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
I would find it hard to believe that many organizations would promote the second in command when the guy in command was a compete failure for 17 years. I know Maclellan wasn't there the whole time but come on.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
MacLellan...don't know much about him. However, as McPhee's right hand man for the past 7 years or whatever, I have my doubts. I suppose we don't know what happens behind the scenes, so I will reserve judgement for now.

Love the Trotz hire though

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
maybe its unfair to blame MacLellan for GMGMs failures, who knows how much power he had. meanwhile he's succeeded in the roles he had, i guess we'll see how he does.

PRicci09

Jan 17, 2013
NHL-N Reporting that the Caps never even reached out to Shero

Shero would have been the logical choice, i'm sure the guy knows our organization pretty well given the rivalry.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I would find it hard to believe that many organizations would promote the second in command when the guy in command was a compete failure for 17 years. I know Maclellan wasn't there the whole time but come on.

It's the Capitals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino