Confirmed with Link: MacLellan named GM, Trotz Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
I'm fine with referring to him as "GMBM" right front the get-go. The nickname and head-bag will stay until given reason to remove it.

@TSNSimmer: Shocking hiring of Brian MacLellan. I've never met a lazier/less passionate hockey man. @washcaps At times you shake your head. #Laughable

Simpson worked in the Caps front office from the late 90's to 2004.

...and didn't have his contract renewed. No chance of butthurt informing that comment at all.

RockDaRed

May 13, 2013
Richmond,VA
@TSNSimmer: @TedLeonsis glad you brought Barry back. What a shame giving MacLellan this post. Never met a lazier man.

Yeah great. Like I said pitchfork and torches!!!

Slappy

May 29, 2007
Looking into Mac to learn a bit more about his past:

MacLellan, who won a Stanley Cup with the Calgary Flames in 1989, had a 10-year NHL career in which he skated for the Los Angeles Kings, New York Rangers, Minnesota North Stars, Flames and Detroit Red Wings. A forward who played 606 NHL games, MacLellan recorded 172 goals, 241 assists and 413 points. MacLellan also won a silver medal with Team Canada at the 1985 World Championship in Prague.

New York didn't work out for Brian MacLellan. Coach Ted Sator wanted MacLellan to use his size for a more aggressive game--something that MacLellan was uncomfortable doing.

Not that traits as a player necessarily translate to how he evaluates talent, but just something I found interesting.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
These tweets are disturbing. Not sure if this Simmer guy is just a disgruntled ex-employee or on to something. Or both.

This kind of hangs a cloud on the Trotz hiring. I wonder just how much say he's going to have in how things are run, or if he'll become a yes-man. After Obstinate Oates I'm sure they wanted someone more...accomodating.

Burakovsky95*

This is so stupid.

Completely agree with this

Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski 6m
Promoting Brian MacLellan to GM for Caps is baffling. Fire a guy too in love with his own players, promote someone in same dept.

Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski 5m
This team needed fresh eyes in player personnel. Move reinforces they think they're closer to winning than anyone else believes they are

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This is so stupid.

Completely agree with this

Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski 6m
Promoting Brian MacLellan to GM for Caps is baffling. Fire a guy too in love with his own players, promote someone in same dept.

Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski 5m
This team needed fresh eyes in player personnel. Move reinforces they think they're closer to winning than anyone else believes they are

Read the Ted's Take linked earlier. They're having it both ways, trying to appear as though they've made drastic changes BUT it's just a "refresh" and not a "reboot". Exactly the kind of attendance-saving "it's not as bad as it looks" move we thought they'd pull.

Get ready for a lot of rebuild-style internal roster promotions. Everything in Ted's statement indicates that Bmac and Trotz were picked for this purpose.

Slappy

May 29, 2007
The whole process shows that Ted 'n Dick are the ones ultimately making most of the hockey decisions. Had they hired a GM or named a new President (not Gretzky) to make hockey decisions, then it would've shown that they really were stepping back. I hope they let Maclellan run things the way he wants and don't interfere, but it's hard to believe that will happen.

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
I'm still cautiously optimistic. I wasn't sold on Shero. MacClellan has already shown some good drafting moves with Joos. I don't trust this Simpson guy (seems a tad too butthurt), and the other person tweeting who knows Mac seems quite pleased who knows him. And unlike Wyshynski, there are some of us out there beyond just the Caps organization who do think this team has it in them to win the Cup -- they just need to get the right pieces in place. I'm not going to go all doomsday before we even see what Mac/Trotz can do. It ain't GMGM/Oates... it's a brand new day in Caps hockey, we've got a new GM and HC and we're finally ready to start rolling, I'm excited to see what's coming.

And reading Ted's Take, it really does sound like Ted took in the problems with GMGM HCAO because he talked about the need for communication between the GM and HC and catering to the individual strengths of the players in all positions.

One key component for Dick and me was to ensure Brian and Barry share similar philosophies regarding team structure, style of play and the changes we need to make as an organization. Some of those changes will be evident, others won’t be as obvious and a few will be confidential. While they both have their own opinions and strong viewpoints – and are unencumbered in sharing them – there is an alignment in their thinking. There is a belief in a common system that will allow individual talents – offensive, defensive and goaltending – to flourish while committing to a style of play that will be the most beneficial to our team.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
you know old Teddy had this planned out for some time and tried to sneek this hire in when all the media was off. Fresh eyes my ass Ted

Burakovsky95*

I'm still cautiously optimistic. I wasn't sold on Shero. MacClellan has already shown some good drafting moves with Joos. I don't trust this Simpson guy (seems a tad too butthurt), and the other person tweeting who knows Mac seems quite pleased who knows him. And unlike Wyshynski, there are some of us out there beyond just the Caps organization who do think this team has it in them to win the Cup -- they just need to get the right pieces in place. I'm not going to go all doomsday before we even see what Mac/Trotz can do. It ain't GMGM/Oates... it's a brand new day in Caps hockey, we've got a new GM and HC and we're finally ready to start rolling, I'm excited to see what's coming.

We are nowhere near competing for a cup. Have you watched this years playoffs?

Liberati0n*

Isn't Nate Ewell a professional PR lackey who used to work for the team? Simpson may not have much credibility, but Ewell has actually none.

MacClellan has already shown some good drafting moves with Joos.

What? He was a pro scout, not an amateur one. Signing Djoos was a formality.

I also don't know why people are saying he has good pro scouting acumen. If anything, the fact that he has a track record as pro scout for a team that sucks at pro scouting means he'll be unfortunately confident in wrong evaluations.

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
Yes, I've watched some of this year's playoff, and yes, we our screwed up but it's because we've been playing under a HC who has a crappy-ass system that barely anyone can understand. We have some damn good players on our team and I have confidence in them that with a great coach and the team working with him and together, they can pull it together.

And, yes, signing Djoos was a formality, but one that might have not happened had Mac not been paying attention... but he was.

As for "fresh eyes" - Ted said in his "Ted's Take" that although they knew Mac, he spent most of his time on the road, and most of their day-to-day time was spent with GMGM and it's been over the course of this process that they've gotten to know him and while searching for the GMGM they found themselves comparing their options to HIM. So, yes, they looked at him with "fresh eyes."

I guess I just refuse to be negative before literally ANYTHING has happened to show that it's going to a ****storm of a season.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
It sure does seem that Leonsis and Patrick were worried about an outside guy telling them what they didn't want to hear. That's obvious in Ted's Take. You would think they gave all the candidates a Capsology test and Maclellan had the highest grade. Of course he is going to have a vision of the team's organization and direction, he has a huge head start on the other candidates. I doubt all the other candidates studied the Caps from top to bottom yet.

I don't know, all we can do is wait and see. If he succeeds it is a brilliant move. If he fails we can ***** and moan at that time.

Halpysback*

So the **** who traded Halak for peanuts is gonna be our GM now.

What a disgrace.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
We better create a new thread at this forum named "Help for MacLellan".

He will be able to read better pro scouting reports and make better decisions.

Collectively we have more time to invest in advanced stats and so on, we should help him win the SC.

Halpysback*

It sure does seem that Leonsis and Patrick were worried about an outside guy telling them what they didn't want to hear. That's obvious in Ted's Take. You would think they gave all the candidates a Capsology test and Maclellan had the highest grade. Of course he is going to have a vision of the team's organization and direction, he has a huge head start on the other candidates. I doubt all the other candidates studied the Caps from top to bottom yet.

I don't know, all we can do is wait and see. If he succeeds it is a brilliant move. If he fails we can ***** and moan at that time.

There was no way in hell they were even gonna consider Shero given his clashes with Pens' much more hockey-royalty ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad