Confirmed with Link: MacLellan named GM, Trotz Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
this says only one thing to me. we now know who has been calling the shots. it was not McPhee. It has been Leonsis or Patrick and Leonsis the entire time. Hiring Trotz and MacLellan keeps the status quo without keeping McPhee.

Was McPhee arguing against a veteran improvement to the defense and being shot down by Leonsis or convincing Leonsis? I don't know but the decision was Leonsis.

But lets see how this works out. Maybe "anyone but McPhee" will be an improvement. I will admit that I am totally shaking my head.

Also...the not talking to agents. That is Leonsis policy.

RockDaRed

May 13, 2013
Richmond,VA
There needs to be fire Ted shirts and posters at games. Dan Snyder use to get that crap and he was actually trying to build a winning team.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If GMBM was to move Green for some real top4d he would get additional 1-2 years in his chair with no problem. And there will be peace in this forum also.

Liberati0n*

Chimera trade, Brouwer trade, Kundratek trade... Do I need to continue?

Langway made a distinction between pre-2010 when Larry Carriere was around and after. Brouwer was '11 but Chimera was obviously before that, and Kundratek is arguably an amateur scouting issue (not to mention he may not even end up an NHL player). You do need to continue.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
These tweets are disturbing. Not sure if this Simmer guy is just a disgruntled ex-employee or on to something. Or both.

This kind of hangs a cloud on the Trotz hiring. I wonder just how much say he's going to have in how things are run, or if he'll become a yes-man. After Obstinate Oates I'm sure they wanted someone more...accomodating.
Saw a tweet that said MacLellan took his job. Explains a lot.

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
Shiny Barry Trotz. Shiny!

@TSNSimmer: Shocking hiring of Brian MacLellan. I've never met a lazier/less passionate hockey man. @washcaps At times you shake your head. #Laughable

Simpson worked in the Caps front office from the late 90's to 2004.

Oh thats good to hear! Wtf are we doing?

Halpysback*

And would have had to give up 4+ million in salary for 4 years at least to do it.

That would have been a terrible move.

Unless Holtby is total crap he's gonna make close to that much after this year while probably not being better. Holtby's fine and all, but you had an established starter who could have been signed while gaining extra assets. Those kinds of moves push teams forward.

4.5 million for a starter is nothing these days. Would have been one of the better contracts on the team.

The assets would have been really nice though given how the farm has been plundered lately.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Saw a tweet that said MacLellan took his job. Explains a lot.

I don't think Ted and Patrick would hire an incompetent family friend to this position when they both know the team needs to get back to winning to line their pockets, which is basically what Simmer is putting fourth.

I also do not think he's the best man for the job.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Unless Holtby is total crap he's gonna make close to that much after this year while probably not being better. Holtby's fine and all, but you had an established starter who could have been signed while gaining extra assets. Those kinds of moves push teams forward.

4.5 million for a starter is nothing these days. Would have been one of the better contracts on the team.

The assets would have been really nice though given how the farm has been plundered lately.

Except you want to pay that to a 29 year old who you know what you've got in, Holtby gets you those assets because he still has the potential to be great.

Again, that would be a terrible use of assets. You don't trade a prospect for more prospects, that's Pejorative Slured.

Liberati0n*

Obviously it's personal for Simpson, but that doesn't mean what he's saying isn't true.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Also, in Ted's take he said that both GMBM and Trotz said they have a lot of confidence in our scouting and drafting which bodes well for keeping Mahoney.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Langway made a distinction between pre-2010 when Larry Carriere was around and after. Brouwer was '11 but Chimera was obviously before that, and Kundratek is arguably an amateur scouting issue (not to mention he may not even end up an NHL player). You do need to continue.

Halak trade was a good one, Penner trade was a good one, Wideman trade was a real good one because even though he was horrible, he was a legitimate #4 D acquired for 3rd rounder. Fleischmann trade was decent.

That's almost all NHL-level trades.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Also...the not talking to agents. That is Leonsis policy.
Another worthwhile question to ask: is that policy staying intact? I would guess so. :shakehead

@TSNSimmer: Chris Patrick will be asst GM. Great guy. Jeff Harpern will follow. @washcaps

Getting Halpern involved...I like.

The Kundratek trade is inconsequential and more of an amateur scouting call. How will he improve them at center and defense is the question. Will he merely say that those positions are hard to find and pass the buck?
yeah but we coulda kept him and traded Holtby for a 1st/bluechipper/etc.
The goaltender market is terrible. Getting that kind of value back wasn't going to happen even if they wanted to make that move.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Also, in Ted's take he said that both GMBM and Trotz said they have a lot of confidence in our scouting and drafting which bodes well for keeping Mahoney.

More than that, I think. The language of the TT seems to indicate a very, very strong desire to rely on prospects and a unified farm system based on that scouting. It suggests GMGM's recent scuttling of touted prospects did not sit well with Ted and DP. The Forsberg/Erat deal may have been the nail in the coffin.

laleli

May 6, 2012
i don't know anything about mac's gm skills, but the fact that he worked with gmgm makes me sceptical :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad