Confirmed with Link: MacLellan named GM, Trotz Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Well I guess we could use more of Ovie and Backstrom talking instead:

Ovie:

"I get chance I must scoar goalz. It is just moment and I must scoar. Team game"

Backstrom:

"I think we must play better. We have to work harder..I think. We keep playing hard and good things happen I think."

I am pretty certain the media talks to all kinds of players but Laich and Brouwer are two of the more articulate guys so their sound bites get more play.

I don't know. Its not like they are Jagr when he was with the Caps saying brutally dumb stuff.

Except rarely do those 2 call out the teams over and over again. They've both also shown to raise their game when the going gets tough.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Sure, its different if Beagle said what they said once or someone popped up once or twice but those 2 continuously spout off and at that point I'm expecting you to have raised your game to go along with the constant call outs; they haven't and don't so them talking irritates me.

The why they do it doesn't matter to me, its the fact they do it and then think they can go a bout how they always play is perfectly okay. If you're calling out the team or an issue you damn sure better be stepping up to fix it.

But its funny that, to me at least, Knuble was no different. He called out the team as much or more and he had the "lack of raising" game thing too. But I never really saw him get criticized like these two guys.

I guess it really doesn't bother me that much and I don't think its a big deal.

Halpysback*

You'll be hard pressed to find a player who works harder than Brooks Laich. He gives it his all and does play 200ft. I don't think anyone questions that about him.

His groin? His contract? Yeah. But not his determination.

Chimera? Ward? Anyone who actually wins board battles, doesn't randomly give up on defensive assignments and doesn't get muscled from in front of the net to the extent where he has to redefine what "going to the net" means for him.

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
You'll be hard pressed to find a player who works harder than Brooks Laich. He gives it his all and does play 200ft. I don't think anyone questions that about him.

His groin? His contract? Yeah. But not his determination.

He's extremely determined but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm saying he easilys looses his man he's just extremely overrated for his d play, his board work has gotten weaker and as far as out letting from half wall to start a break out the play stalls on his stick constantly

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
The Brooks Laich of the last 2 years has been diminished and he absolutely hasn't been the same player as before in large part due to injury. (which he hopefully will recover from fully)

Prior to that he was very good along the boards. We just seem to forget since that was so very long ago.

Brouwer? Not so much. But Brouwer does finish his checks with regularity and has a better shot.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I feel like Brouwer always makes his hit like a half second too late, and if he's not too late, he waits on purpose until he is. Like he's timing the hit to be just after the guy gets rid of the puck.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I feel like Brouwer always makes his hit like a half second too late, and if he's not too late, he waits on purpose until he is. Like he's timing the hit to be just after the guy gets rid of the puck.

Better late than never. Thats what finishing your checks is all about.

Drill the guy even after he releases the puck. Thats how you wear down an opponent and get them thinking twice as the game goes on. Either that or do a pass by.

Youre not going to always hit the guy while he has the puck on his stick and I doubt Brouwer INTENTIONALLY waits til the player releases the puck to hit him.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
Brouwer-bashing is somewhat unwarranted, but Brooks Laich has been completely enraging for the last two years; he'd be a great, slightly overpaid, top-6 forward if his jaw muscles were torn and his groin was healthy, but unfortunately we get the reverse scenario.

Liberati0n*

His jaw muscles have absolutely nothing to do with whether he'd be a great top-6 forward. That's where the absurdity comes in.

Having a guy in the locker room who's that blatantly self-centered and talks to the media constantly is a horrible influence, and a cause for resentment. In that sense, his jaw is related.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
The one thing that I've noticed from posters is that if they like MAJO, they either don't like Laich and/or Brouwer or the reverse if they like either Laich and/or Brouwer they don't like MAJO. Have not seen many that either like all three or dislike all three.

Halpysback*

The one thing that I've noticed from posters is that if they like MAJO, they either don't like Laich and/or Brouwer or the reverse if they like either Laich and/or Brouwer they don't like MAJO. Have not seen many that either like all three or dislike all three.

All 3 should be shipped out for max value

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Having a guy in the locker room who's that blatantly self-centered and talks to the media constantly is a horrible influence, and a cause for resentment. In that sense, his jaw is related.

Thats pretty harsh. I don't get that at all. From all accounts he is a great teamate and 1st class human being. He has tremendous respect from players and coaches alike for a reason.

If he reads your comments you better pray your car doesn't get a flat tire in the middle of nowhere b/c he would have every right to drive past you and give you the middle finger.

All 3 should be shipped out for max value

I'd agree. I'd say trade everyone on our roster to other teams for players not on our roster currently. Get max value for it and the cup is ours! If we only had Scuderi....

Halpysback*

I'd agree. I'd say trade everyone on our roster to other teams for players not on our roster currently. Get max value for it and the cup is ours! If we only had Scuderi....

No just players whose cap space and roles can be significantly optimized. Good team building 101. I bet LA is still crushed that they moved Ryan Smyth out.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
No just players whose cap space and roles can be significantly optimized. Good team building 101. I bet LA is still crushed that they moved Ryan Smyth out.

Doesn't LA have a 4th line center making about $6 million per year?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I love the certainty that Richards' career is over while Green is merely on a detour back to greatness.

I never said that. I just merely stated a fact.

Richards is making almost $6 mil per year for the next million years (approximately) and he is a 4th line center on that team.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Laich looked pretty good in the games leading up to his season ending injury last year. Appeared to have his leg strength back. I'm more than willing to give him another shot because there isn't really a reason to buy him out and his trade value is vitually nill right now. I'm betting the ole tire changer circles the wagons one more time.

Liberati0n*

I'm pretty negative on all of them. It's weird though, because Laich is almost as soft a player as Johansson but those people don't seem to realize it.

BobRouse said:
Thats pretty harsh. I don't get that at all. From all accounts he is a great teamate and 1st class human being. He has tremendous respect from players and coaches alike for a reason.

If he reads your comments you better pray your car doesn't get a flat tire in the middle of nowhere b/c he would have every right to drive past you and give you the middle finger.
We've been over this before.

NBTW said:
Any evidence whatsoever that he's resented by teammates?
Nope. It would just be a reasonable reaction. He's a me-first guy who drapes team-first banners all over himself so everyone can look at them. More intelligent and perceptive players definitely notice.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Nope. It would just be a reasonable reaction. He's a me-first guy who drapes team-first banners all over himself so everyone can look at them. More intelligent and perceptive players definitely notice.

No it wouldn't. You're simply projecting your distaste for his press interaction to teammates. It's ********.

Liberati0n*

No it wouldn't. You're simply projecting your distaste for his press interaction to teammates. It's ********.

It's not my distaste for his press interaction. It's my distaste for the falseness of it. All I can think of when I read/see a Laich interview is the phrase "personal brand."

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
It's not my distaste for his press interaction. It's my distaste for the falseness of it. All I can think of when I read/see a Laich interview is the phrase "personal brand."

I guess Brooks Laich must have come over and ate all your Cinamon Toast Crunch one day. I'd be pretty pissed at him too if he did that to me...

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Ah yes, he's building his personal brand so he can sell all his BL21 apparel. That's such a logical and sensible conclusion. I'm sure you developed your theory through hours of personal interaction with the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad