Confirmed with Link: MacLellan named GM, Trotz Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
The one thing that I've noticed from posters is that if they like MAJO, they either don't like Laich and/or Brouwer or the reverse if they like either Laich and/or Brouwer they don't like MAJO. Have not seen many that either like all three or dislike all three.

I like all 3, for wildly different reasons (obviously assuming health).

Liberati0n*

I'm starting to become convinced that you're just trolling this board with the Laich stuff.

It's approaching the delusion of a spurned superfan otherwise.

I don't get spurned. I just double down in my adoration. Wilson STILL hasn't accepted my friend request and my love for him hasn't waned. ;)

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Bottom line, Brooks Laich is a great guy who is just not living up to his contract. Fault the organization, not him. All that money should have NEVER been offered to him, but obviously, he'd be a fool to turn it down. Hopefully, he gets a clean bill of health this summer and the team can use the amnesty clause to part ways. With his groin having the stability of Lindsay Lohan after one too many quaaludes, it would be my guess that he'll never come close to sniffing 50 points.

Another part of the hate that he gets is that he was overvalued by the franchise, even going into last season. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't McPhee comparing Laich to guys like Mike Richards etc.? You make the money he does, have the EXPECTATION put on you that you'll produce, and ultimately don't (even w/ an injury), people will bring out the pitchforks.

Like I said before...he's a good guy, but it's time to part ways.
Yes, he should have been given the contract, because he was worth it at the time. His numbers and intangibles backed that up. It was just bad luck that he injured his groin. His contract would look somewhere between 'just fine' and 'very good' if he didn't.

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008
Yes, he should have been given the contract, because he was worth it at the time. His numbers and intangibles backed that up. It was just bad luck that he injured his groin. His contract would look somewhere between 'just fine' and 'very good' if he didn't.

Fair enough...but my point still remains that part of the reason for many fans' discontent with him is that he is overvalued and not living up to the money he's being paid. Now, obviously the injuries are part of the equation, but this is sports. Things like this happen just about everywhere. It's just up to the Caps to try to clean things up for the time being.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Up until this past season, I was not alone in cringing at Ward's contract which he had been pretty much playing 4th line minutes for prior to this year. Things change. I'm optimistic that Laich will be healthy (and before this remark takes off, no I'm not his doctor and I don't have a medical degree:towel:) and bounce back with Trotz.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
You're on a roll today!

I remember when Mike Smith was the goalie for TB, Laich always seemed to get under Smith's skin, banging him (goalie interference) to the put in one game Laich lost his lid while in front of the TB net due to a scrum and then at stoppage, as Laich went to retrieve his helmet, Smith shot Laich's lid down the ice. Laich does have some sandpaper to his game.

That was hilarious. Maybe the last time I laughed watching a hockey game. I know you always liked that one, too.

But then with many chances to continue tormenting Smith after that, Laich had clearly let that pass. Maybe Mike pissed in his Cheerios back in juniors.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
That was hilarious. Maybe the last time I laughed watching a hockey game. I know you always liked that one, too.

But then with many chances to continue tormenting Smith after that, Laich had clearly let that pass. Maybe Mike pissed in his Cheerios back in juniors.

I do. I wonder if that was the same game when Downey went after Ovechkin and Matt Bradley came out to intercede. One of the better rivalries in the old SE Div.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I like all 3, for wildly different reasons (obviously assuming health).

I like all 3 fine, but they all frustrate me.

Would be great if Mojo packed on 10-15 lbs of muscle in the offseason so he can be more physical along the boards and it would be great if he shot the puck more.

Brouwer needs to live on the crease and fill the role vacated by Knuble.

Laich just needs to get healthy again and things would be fabulous.

Which one of those is more likely to happen? That's the issue. Just Laich staying healthy, IMO.

So package Mojo and Brouwer (Wilson can take his minutes) for a defensemen that can be a defensive anchor for Green.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I do. I wonder if that was the same game when Downey went after Ovechkin and Matt Bradley came out to intercede. One of the better rivalries in the old SE Div.

I don't think it was. It was just an otherwise regular regular season game vs Tampa.

I think I was in tears laughing so hard watching Laich lowering his head and taking out their G.

The only rivalry, more like, the closest thing to a rivalry.

I will not miss the least in the least

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
I have no idea if this makes any sense at all, but is it possible that MacLellan is more of an interim GM, hired because Leonsis felt he needed a year to really figure out a new direction? Can't he just as easily be demoted once it's all figured out?

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
Also, I just want to say that, I've heard some really smart people, in various fields, y'know, physics, economics, philosophy, etc., saying that their best ideas have occurred to them in the shower.

And I think the reason is that here is where they are very relaxed.

I like the idea of a GM thinking of ideas in a hammock, just in general. I'm sure he takes showers every now and then too, but you can't very well shower all day at work.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I have no idea if this makes any sense at all, but is it possible that MacLellan is more of an interim GM, hired because Leonsis felt he needed a year to really figure out a new direction? Can't he just as easily be demoted once it's all figured out?

If you demote him, you have to expect he's going to leave the team. It doesn't work like that...

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
If you demote him, you have to expect he's going to leave the team. It doesn't work like that...

Alright. But MacLellan could be someone Ted doesn't particularly want to keep, but prior to getting rid of him along with GMGM, figured he could use him as someone to stick there until he got it all figured out. I guess it depends on what his contract says.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
To me Trotz is the new voice. Mac has the label.

While he may work best slipping in and out of sleep, it is still odd. Talk about a cakewalk job the past 13 years, chilling in his presumed house in Minnesota, on our payroll. I am not sure Ted knew him.

Going to watch games between naps, and more recently, just surfing the web for everything he needs to yes from his hammock.

Last edited:

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
To me Trotz is the new voice. Mac has the label.

Or this, sure. Trotz has been around a long time and presumably had some leverage re how much say he'd get. Maybe MacLellan is still effectively the assistant, just now with a little extra work to do.

This theory would make the MacLellan promotion make more sense to me.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Unless some super GM hit the market and Mac had a reason to leave, or you get new owners, no way you fire a GM after one year. That's what gets you blackballed for a -loooooong- time.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
Unless some super GM hit the market and Mac had a reason to leave, or you get new owners, no way you fire a GM after one year. That's what gets you blackballed for a -loooooong- time.

Ah, yes. Of course that's right. I feel dumb.

I think the theory Mr. Holt said then.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
And this is not merely because I don't want him to fight me. I don't, but I also agree with what he said. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnXXPmIFJiw

I am not as scrappy as i used to be, no worries.

Hey look at that, BMac learning from McPhee. Of course watching from the bench, no room for a hammock proper.

Mac sighting at :50

with his airplane neck ring pillow :biglaugh:

The league had so many more characters back in the 1980's.

Last edited:

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I am not as scrappy as i used to be, no worries.

Hey look at that, BMac learning from McPhee. Of course watching from the bench, no room for a hammock proper.

Mac sighting at :50

with his airplane neck ring pillow :biglaugh:

The league had so many more characters back in the 1980's.

Kordic was a tough hombre.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Shawn Simpson on Brian MacLellan: "When people steal your job and steal your life, you can get a little emotional." I think it's now safe to say that his comments were of the sour grapes variety and that he is backtracking.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It's like his toughness peaked that night in Chicago, maybe neutered by the league for taking too strong a stance against fighting before the league was ready.

Whenever he would eat fists they were always quick to talk about his heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese