Confirmed with Link: MacLellan named GM, Trotz Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Make no mistake. There is never value in wild speculation.

It's all simple entertainment. Just like hockey is.

Only, its not speculation. Ted himself said he was criticized in the interview. Weaknesses pointed out; critiqued. It was a bizarre situation to make a GM hire IMO.

Forced to guess, for mere entertainment purposes on what you label "wild" speculation, what do you think BMac said to him that landed him a GM job?
Of course it's speculation. A guess isn't a guess if you already know the answer. Unless the question you were asking was if BM criticized Ted during the interview or not.

I have no idea what his criticism entailed, outside of what has been reported or what he and Ted have covered (pro scouting dept. being one that stands out). Since I know very little about the man, the depth and breadth of his criticism could land just about anywhere, although I can't imagine it was overwhelmingly biting.

I guess I'm not entertained by recycled bickering.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I feel there is no way Oates was behind the Ovi resurgence. He simply moved him away from the brick wall teams were throwing up in his face on every LW rush, that he just couldn't sort out.

Ovi scored 38 under Dale. I think he reinvented himself more under Dale. He had dropped from 50G to 32G under Bruce. Chart it. The lowest point was under Bruce. And that of course is not factoring TOI, which under Dale eliminated ENGs and many other chances to pot goals for Ovi.

Ovi Nick Ward
Laich Grabo Fehr
Chimera MJ Wilson
Patty Latta Beagle
Kuz

Trade Brouwer to Holmgren for a kings ransom since they will always bite on grit. Toughness.

I don't know. I feel with better 5v5 play he could've had 60 this year. Oates at least deserves credit for putting him in that spot on the power play. Dale and Bruce had him high at the points. He was never this automatic before. Well automatic as in he would still score the goals but never had a coach come here and install a powerplay that had the other teams nearly ******** their pants. Imagine someone to finish in the mojo spot or Wardo in Brouwers spot who I think would be better and push 30 goals.

It's a different form of respect being paid to Ovechkin and IMO a little bit of Oates micromanaging on where to set his feet and better angles on the shot. Ovi and this team used to ring 4 or 5 of them around the boards/glass per game. Oates comes in and it stopped and Ovi wasn't trying to pick corners rather overpowering them low...now the new pads could play a factor. The goals off the faceoffs early this season were money too until teams took that away. Oates had some good stuff,just not head coach kind of stuff. He should stay an assistant.

blokeyhighlander

June = :cupnana:
Oct 9, 2009
NC
Are we sure Ted didn't just come out with the question, "What can I do better as an owner?"

That's a very new-management style of interview question.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It was the Olympics, not Oates. Unless we're talking about being an All-World Turret on the power play.

I think resurgence may need to be defined.

Do we measure blindly goals, what he is paid to do, or....

Ovi had never looked less passionate about the game, than he did under Oates. The latest thing to vanish from his peak game of ~4 years ago, trucking defensemen.

After Montreal, gone was that contagious smile. "The move" got tripled teamed but it may not have mattered, he was fumbling pucks all on his own.

Maybe the resurgence will be complete when he appears compassionate about the game once again. It may be gone forever. People change.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Maybe the resurgence will be complete when he appears compassionate about the game once again. It may be gone forever. People change.

Goal scorers peak at about 23-25 and go down from there. Energy levels, quickness and all kinds of things contribute to this.

Ovechkin of 07-08 wasn't going to be the Ovechkin of 15-16.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I think resurgence may need to be defined.

Do we measure blindly goals, what he is paid to do, or....

Ovi had never looked less passionate about the game, than he did under Oates. The latest thing to vanish from his peak game of ~4 years ago, trucking defensemen.

After Montreal, gone was that contagious smile. "The move" got tripled teamed but it may not have mattered, he was fumbling pucks all on his own.

That I do agree with.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
resurgence. hart trophy. two Richard trophies. under a coach we now know had a strange point of view at best.

Ov may not ever be the 07-8 Ov again, but I expect he will lead the league in goals. challenge for the art ross. challenge for a 4th hart trophy. lead the caps to a top 5 power play. rank top 10 in hits among forwards. remain one of the most feared hitters in the league.

edit: If Ov leads the NHL in goals and is top 5 in points and if the Caps are top half of the playoff draw, I would bet he would be the Hart Trophy winner.

How does that get derailed? Trade Green. Don't replace him correctly. Carlson gets hurt. That would leave the even strength breakout and transition to inexperienced defensemen like Schmidt, Orlov and Carrick. Also the power play. Ov would suffer with that. Trade Green and sign Boyle or Markov and that issue should be less so.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Goal scorers peak at about 23-25 and go down from there. Energy levels, quickness and all kinds of things contribute to this.

Ovechkin of 07-08 wasn't going to be the Ovechkin of 15-16.

Then there are players like Hossa who are students of the game. Even as his offense slips he becomes a better player ever year.

Stamkos will be interesting to watch. A well known fitness freak, he's performed at a 56 goal pace over his last 167 games. His peak is arguably longer than Ovechkin's already.

And of course there's ****ing Crosby.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Then there are players like Hossa who are students of the game. Even as his offense slips he becomes a better player ever year.

Stamkos will be interesting to watch. A well known fitness freak, he's performed at a 56 goal pace over his last 167 games. His peak is arguably longer than Ovechkin's already.

And of course there's ****ing Crosby.

Stamkos is a great young player. But....

Has he won a Hart? Has he broke 100pts?

Last year alone he (Stamkos) missed more games than Ovechkin has his entire career.

Ovechkin is a top 10 hitter in the league since he came in. Stamkos plays a far less physical game.

Alex Ovechkin has had 50+ assists 4x in his career. Stamkos? Never has.

Hossa's a very very good player. He could possibly even be a HOFer.

If Ovechkin quit today he's be a 1st ballot HOFer.

Don't get spoiled by what Ovechkin has been or is. #8 ranks up there with Hull, Gretzky, Bossy, Lemieux and other insanely great players.

Stamkos has a long way to go to reach that status and Hossa will NEVER do so.

Hossa is the modern day Steve Larmer and thats no knock on him as Larmer was outstanding. But he is no Ovechkin...NOT CLOSE!

OVECHKIN
6x 1st team all star
2 x 2nd team all star
3x Hart
3x Pearson
1x Art Ross
4x Richard

Stamkos
2 x 2nd team all star
2 x richard

Hossa
NOT A DAMN THING

Last edited:

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Stamkos is a great young player. But....

Has he won a Hart? Has he broke 100pts?

Last year alone he (Stamkos) missed more games than Ovechkin has his entire career.

Ovechkin is a top 10 hitter in the league since he came in. Stamkos plays a far less physical game.

Alex Ovechkin has had 50+ assists 4x in his career. Stamkos? Never has.

Hossa's a very very good player. He could possibly even be a HOFer.

If Ovechkin quit today he's be a 1st ballot HOFer.

Don't get spoiled by what Ovechkin has been or is. #8 ranks up there with Hull, Gretzky, Bossy, Lemieux and other insanely great players.

Stamkos has a long way to go to reach that status and Hossa will NEVER do so.

Hossa is the modern day Steve Larmer and thats no knock on him as Larmer was outstanding. But he is no Ovechkin...NOT CLOSE!

I thought you were talking about goal scoring.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I thought you were talking about goal scoring.

When you brought up Hossa and Crosby then all bets were off. You brought in the "all around player" value argument tacitly.

Fact is that despite HFboards "logic"...Stamkos has a LONG way to go to reach what #8 has done and is doing. Odds are that he won't get close.

Hossa should even be part of the discussion no matter what his two way play is. If you want to use a prime Fedorov as an example then that would be closer.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
When you brought up Hossa and Crosby then all bets were off. You brought in the "all around player" value argument tacitly.

Fact is that despite HFboards "logic"...Stamkos has a LONG way to go to reach what #8 has done and is doing. Odds are that he won't get close.

Hossa should even be part of the discussion no matter what his two way play is. If you want to use a prime Fedorov as an example then that would be closer.

No, I'm talking about goals and consistency and age.

I sincerely doubt that Stamkos' goal scoring has peaked at 25 despite the "Energy levels, quickness and all kinds of things " that you noted. Hossa scored at career levels at age 30. I also don't think Crosby has reached his career high in goal scoring.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
No, I'm talking about goals and consistency and age.

I sincerely doubt that Stamkos' goal scoring has peaked at 25 despite the "Energy levels, quickness and all kinds of things " that you noted. Hossa scored at career levels at age 30. I also don't think Crosby has reached his career high in goal scoring.

This is just one sample but almost every other breakdown points to the same thing.

http://smokedegrees.blogspot.com/2011/05/study-when-do-great-goal-scorers-peak.html

Goal scorers reach their peak between 23-26. In this case 25.

There are abberations and exceptions to the rule but don't count on it.

Crosby will be 28 at the start of next season and has hit 40 goals exactly once in his career. Odds are he will never reach his 51 goal peak again.

Stamkos is 24 so he still is in his "peak" goal scoring years most likely.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
This is just one sample but almost every other breakdown points to the same thing.

http://smokedegrees.blogspot.com/2011/05/study-when-do-great-goal-scorers-peak.html

Goal scorers reach their peak between 23-26. In this case 25.

There are abberations and exceptions to the rule but don't count on it.

Crosby will be 28 at the start of next season and has hit 40 goals exactly once in his career. Odds are he will never reach his 51 goal peak again.

Stamkos is 24 so he still is in his "peak" goal scoring years most likely.

And it looks like the exceptions to the rule are fitness freaks and students of the game. Which is my point.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
And it looks like the exceptions to the rule are fitness freaks and students of the game. Which is my point.

I would take that bet RE: Crosby in a heartbeat. The guy will never get 52+ goals in his career. I don't care what kind of shape he's in.

Stamkos is still in his peak. We'll see how long it lasts and if he can stay healthy...not everyone is a tank like Ovechkin.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-in-on-new-hires-barry-trotz-brian-maclellan/

Laich on Trotz's Preds:

“You didn’t know which way, if you were watching on the screen, you couldn’t tell, if you just turned to the channel, whether they were backchecking or forechecking, because they skated just as hard back the ice as they did up the ice,” he said. “As a player who appreciates the 200-foot game, I’m excited to have a coach like that who demands that of everybody.

Hmm, maybe a little dig at Ovie and Backstrom already, Brooksie? Article contains other quotes from players, too.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
HAHA Laich misses as many defensive assignments as anyone. Maybe one day his play will actually back his words up.

You'll be hard pressed to find a player who works harder than Brooks Laich. He gives it his all and does play 200ft. I don't think anyone questions that about him.

His groin? His contract? Yeah. But not his determination.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
You'll be hard pressed to find a player who works harder than Brooks Laich. He gives it his all and does play 200ft. I don't think anyone questions that about him.

His groin? His contract? Yeah. But not his determination.

I still hate how he and Brouwer talk big...and then that's it.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I still hate how he and Brouwer talk big...and then that's it.

I hear that complaint a lot but I never get it I guess. Perhaps Brouwer there was one or two times where I rolled my eyes but nothing horrendous.

Both Laich and Brouwer never take a shift off. Say what you will about their skills or lack thereof but they have heart and lay it on the line.

Heck some players have to talk to the media on the team don't they?

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I hear that complaint a lot but I never get it I guess. Perhaps Brouwer there was one or two times where I rolled my eyes but nothing horrendous.

Both Laich and Brouwer never take a shift off. Say what you will about their skills or lack thereof but they have heart and lay it on the line.

Heck some players have to talk to the media on the team don't they?

I'm all about people giving 100, but if you can't elevate your play when "calling out the team" you shouldn't be talking. They aren't driving play, they aren't changing anything, they're merely talking and distancing themselves from the problem instead of actually doing something about it.

Liberati0n*

It's ridiculous to say their play on the ice qualifies or disqualifies them from talking. Having good judgment is what qualifies you to offer judgments, and nothing else. Not that that qualifies them. They deserve criticism for their comments simply because of their motivations in making those comments. In Laich's case, he's an image-focused PR machine. In Brouwer's, he's a semi-alpha male who feels threatened by things around him and feels he needs to cut down his peers. Their play on the ice has nothing to do with the rightness of what they say.

Edit: That's not to say, for example, that Laich's failure to back up his words on the ice isn't related. He's all about saying the right things, and the fact that he's such a soft player (for example) just goes to show that saying, rather than doing, is the point.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I'm all about people giving 100, but if you can't elevate your play when "calling out the team" you shouldn't be talking. They aren't driving play, they aren't changing anything, they're merely talking and distancing themselves from the problem instead of actually doing something about it.

Well I guess we could use more of Ovie and Backstrom talking instead:

Ovie:

"I get chance I must scoar goalz. It is just moment and I must scoar. Team game"

Backstrom:

"I think we must play better. We have to work harder..I think. We keep playing hard and good things happen I think."

I am pretty certain the media talks to all kinds of players but Laich and Brouwer are two of the more articulate guys so their sound bites get more play.

I don't know. Its not like they are Jagr when he was with the Caps saying brutally dumb stuff.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Sure, its different if Beagle said what they said once or someone popped up once or twice but those 2 continuously spout off and at that point I'm expecting you to have raised your game to go along with the constant call outs; they haven't and don't so them talking irritates me.

The why they do it doesn't matter to me, its the fact they do it and then think they can go a bout how they always play is perfectly okay. If you're calling out the team or an issue you damn sure better be stepping up to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad