Confirmed with Link: MacLellan named GM, Trotz Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I said it when he was fired, and I'll say it again: I don't think Adam Oates ever coaches in the league again.

I would agree.

Coaches who try to undermine their GM generally get blacklisted. Oates was actively making GMGM look bad and it became personal with him.

Ted Nolan won a Jack Adams and then later tried to get his GM fired. He didn't work again for a long time.

If I was a GM I sure wouldn't risk my job to hire a guy like Oates.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Of course Oates wont' coach again. The only reason Oates was coaching in the first place was to hamstring GMGM and get him fired. I told you this months ago. Mission accomplished!!

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
At the time of the hire it was popular to get that hot new assistant Ted said it himself. That's why he wanted Oates after NJ in finals and Tampa power play. He had success there but as we saw he is no head coach.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Its funny we say Oates will only ever coach a PP again but when he came here the Devil's fans were saying we'd have a terrible PP cause he can't coach it.

How much of that PP was Forsythe and how much was Oates?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I seem to remember many here were happy with the Oates hire after a strong introductory presser as well. I'm still against the GMBM hire until he demonstrates improvement in the roster.

I'm psyched about Trots, but he's wasted if the D isn't upgraded and if they don't re-sign or replace Grabo. Wouldnt that be a terrible outcome? They finally hire a serious coach and then fail to give him the horses to be a serious team in the East? That would be SO like the Caps.

I'm with you, no press conference song and dance is going to impress this Caps fan. Been around too long to get suckered that easily. Make some positive, well thought out AND successful moves and I'll start believing. To me firing the guy who just ran the franchise into an iceberg and replacing him with the 1st mate who has spent years consuming and carrying out the previous GM's "vision", well I fear things could easily get a lot worse with this team.

Trotz should do fine, but the GM has to be a visionary, a shrewd businessman and negotiator to make that vision work. Hopefully he's learned that being an unapproachable dick isn't the path to choose.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Whoever picked Trotz for GM gets the ding ding chicken dinner

I have a feeling Barry will quickly realize he is surrounded with incompetents and end up telling BMac who to go get. BMac has no clue how Trotz wants the team built. He may have his ideas but in the end Trotz decides.

Dont be fooled by BMac. He could have perused HF and put together his plan. Where he got the job was by risking insulting Ted. If he told Ted to let Trotz make the calls on deals, he may end up our best "GM" ever.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Ted keeps reiterating not wanting to make GM candidates feel like they "lost".

Does this wimp understand that winning and losing is what fuels team sports? I'm sure as ex players those GMs understand that.

Why own a pro sports team if you're afraid of hurt feelings. No ****ing wonder McPhee was kept around 15 years and this teams problems have never been directly addressed.

Those attendance banners might as well be participation trophies.

As much trust I have in Trotz, the front office could not be lamer.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Whoever picked Trotz for GM gets the ding ding chicken dinner

I have a feeling Barry will quickly realize he is surrounded with incompetents and end up telling BMac who to go get. BMac has no clue how Trotz wants the team built. He may have his ideas but in the end Trotz decides.

Dont be fooled by BMac. He could have perused HF and put together his plan. Where he got the job was by risking insulting Ted. If he told Ted to let Trotz make the calls on deals, he may end up our best "GM" ever.

I called it and it was pretty obvious to predict. Why else would we stay in house unless they want trotz to have more say in the team? He's the one with experience for once. Why would we hire Shero if we wanted to let Trotz call the shots ?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It speaks volumes that Ted hires a guy that points out his shortcomings in a freaking job interview. You know what he probably said... stop choosing rookie coaches. Stop choking out fans. And take down some attendance banners.

I still can't believe that is what got him hired.

BMac probably took one look at Trotz, who simply said no. Don't even think about it.

Dick Patrick is probably face palming all of it as he slowly loses control of day to day operations, because Ted found a new buddy.

New Order
Trotz
Patrick
BMac
Ted :laugh:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
It speaks volumes that Ted hires a guy that points out his shortcomings in a freaking job interview. You know what he probably said... stop choosing rookie coaches. Stop choking out fans. And take down some attendance banners.

I still can't believe that is what got him hired.

BMac probably took one look at Trotz, who simply said no. Don't even think about it.

Dick Patrick is probably face palming all of it as he slowly loses control of day to day operations, because Ted found a new buddy.

New Order
Trotz
Patrick
BMac
Ted :laugh:

Some serious hyperbole here unless this is entirely a joke post.

Deestroyer

Mar 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Adam Oates is in Hockey Night In Canada panel, and obviously they asked about Alex Ovechkin and Barry Trotz
Wasn't that an awkward moment

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Some serious hyperbole here unless this is entirely a joke post.

Exactly, its so bizarre one cannot speculate without posters becoming confused. The closest thing I can find as a comparable are Seinfeld episodes.

Give your best guess of what negative things about Ted where pointed out by BMac in the interview, which by Ted's admission landed him the job.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
How long before we know if Oates is really the one behind Ovi's resurgence?

I think if they change the powerplay yet he still scores at least 40 but with more even strength goals would be an indicator. Oates did have Stamkos blasting them from that same spot. Still I think if we get a few more years of Ovechkin getting 20 pp goals with the majority of them from his spot,I think Oates deserves some credit.

How can they possibly go away from letting him shoot that? Teams know it's coming and still he buries them.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Exactly, its so bizarre one cannot speculate without posters becoming confused. The closest thing I can find as a comparable are Seinfeld episodes.

Give your best guess of what negative things about Ted where pointed out by BMac in the interview, which by Ted's admission landed him the job.
I guess I'm not sure what value there is in wild speculation. The only thing it accomplishes is furthering agendas as each person sees fit. You're not going to guess anything that goes contrary to how you viewed the way previous management operated. I'm guessing just about everyone else will do the same and we're back where we all started, usually with lots of hyperbole thrown in along the way.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I feel there is no way Oates was behind the Ovi resurgence. He simply moved him away from the brick wall teams were throwing up in his face on every LW rush, that he just couldn't sort out.

Ovi scored 38 under Dale. I think he reinvented himself more under Dale. He had dropped from 50G to 32G under Bruce. Chart it. The lowest point was under Bruce. And that of course is not factoring TOI, which under Dale eliminated ENGs and many other chances to pot goals for Ovi.

Ovi Nick Ward
Laich Grabo Fehr
Chimera MJ Wilson
Patty Latta Beagle
Kuz

Trade Brouwer to Holmgren for a kings ransom since they will always bite on grit. Toughness.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I feel there is no way Oates was behind the Ovi resurgence. He simply moved him away from the brick wall teams were throwing up in his face on every LW rush, that he just couldn't sort out.

Ovi scored 38 under Dale. I think he reinvented himself more under Dale. He had dropped from 50G to 32G under Bruce. Chart it. The lowest point was under Bruce. And that of course is not factoring TOI, which under Dale eliminated ENGs and many other chances to pot goals for Ovi.

Ovi Nick Ward
Laich Grabo Fehr
Chimera MJ Wilson
Patty Latta Beagle
Kuz

Trade Brouwer to Holmgren for a kings ransom since they will always bite on grit. Toughness.

It was the Olympics, not Oates. Unless we're talking about being an All-World Turret on the power play.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I guess I'm not sure what value there is in wild speculation. The only thing it accomplishes is furthering agendas as each person sees fit. You're not going to guess anything that goes contrary to how you viewed the way previous management operated. I'm guessing just about everyone else will do the same and we're back where we all started, usually with lots of hyperbole thrown in along the way.

Make no mistake. There is never value in wild speculation.

It's all simple entertainment. Just like hockey is.

Only, its not speculation. Ted himself said he was criticized in the interview. Weaknesses pointed out; critiqued. It was a bizarre situation to make a GM hire IMO.

Forced to guess, for mere entertainment purposes on what you label "wild" speculation, what do you think BMac said to him that landed him a GM job?

Join the discussion about what actually got him hired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad