Prospect Info: MacKenzie Blackwood -G- (42nd Overall 2015)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Too much spin here for me...

We just turned a #36 overall, which in a deep draft is practically a late first, into a middle second and used it for the most unpredictable positions to project in all of sports.

This was a missed opportunity for a team that simply cannot miss any opportunities.

NJD Kula

THE SPITFIRES LINE
Jan 16, 2009
По&#1082
www.rshl.org
Best NA goalie in the draft, not going to be upset with the pick.

Dude is huge and apparently has a calm demeanor. Supersized goalies are all the rage now so makes sense.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

We just turned a #36 overall, which in a deep draft is practically a late first, into a middle second and used it for the most unpredictable positions to project in all of sports.

This was a missed opportunity for a team that simply cannot miss any opportunities.

it's something to see 3-4 years down the road. Admittedly there were guys on the board that I hoped the Devils would pick but it is a pretty big risk I agree, hopefully it doesn't bite us in the back. Hopefully this guy becomes a major asset either on the ice or as a trade chip a few years down the road.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
90% of this fanbase must think forward is the only position

i LOVE the Blackwood pick. Dude is one of the top goalie prospects in a extremely deep draft, he's tall like Bishop and can really play.

What next to NO ONE understands on here is that our depth at goaltender isn't as good as fans like to believe. We have a stud number one who is currently on the wrong side of 20, Clarmont and Wedgewood both became major duds, Clemmer won't be retained...

We don't really have that many prospects at this position if you think about it, especially skilled ones. I rather have done Merrill + this pick for Barzal but those freaking out about this pick are TRULY freaking out about nothing and/or are literally in-informed.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Down the road when NJ needs to address goaltending this pick will make more sense. Obviously the management team decided they could get a very good goalie in the 2nd as opposed to having to take a goalie with a high pick in the future (1st round) or take some lesser touted guy in later rounds (Clermont i.e.).

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I dont care about goaltending depth to be 100% honest

we have a near elite starter signed for 6 years and good young backup.

past that, who gives a crap? non elite goalies are easy to find.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
I hate our draft overall.
Didn't get enough speed and skill upfront.
Drafting a netminder was assinine.

Don't forget we flipped a unproven 2nd rounder for an established Palmieri who is still young and growing into his game.

We basically drafted Zacha, Palmieri, and Speers. Quality > Quantity.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
This is obviously a long term plan for when Cory is older and Kinkaid is most likely long gone. The only other prospect I would of considered would of been Sprong.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Blackwood to Black, to Wood, back to Black, tried to make him to go to rehab, back to Wood, Wood SCORES assists to Black and Blackwood on Wood's goal

Techno Devil*

This kid was the best goalie in the draft. Even if he doesn't play a single game in a red jersey, at the very least he will have full visibility with other scouts and GMs. What I'm getting at here is... Jacob Markstrom. He was also the best goalie in the draft and was probably coveted by many teams before he was the key piece in the Bobby Lou deal (Shawn Matthias was kind of a godsend as well). They also just chose to retain him over Eddie Lack, which was not the en vogue move if you took a poll.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This kid was the best goalie in the draft. Even if he doesn't play a single game in a red jersey, at the very least he will have full visibility with other scouts and GMs. What I'm getting at here is... Jacob Markstrom. He was also the best goalie in the draft and was probably coveted by many teams before he was the key piece in the Bobby Lou deal (Shawn Matthias was kind of a godsend as well). They also just chose to retain him over Eddie Lack, which was not the en vogue move if you took a poll.
The best goalie in the draft was the 2nd goalie taken.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

This.

And I am laughing at people bringing up situations where goalies where flipped. In all cases it is for futures, which is the complaint with the pick. It extends out the time until this pick can have an impact.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I dislike this 2nd round draft pick.

I guess they truly went with the "best player still available" logic to select the pick, which I get, but I'm generally anti goalie selection unless you're desperate for goaltenders in your organization, which the Devils are not

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

You said not even a week ago you'd take goalie if he was BPA at 6. Why advocate a 6 BPA on a goalie but not a 42?

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

I don't mind the trade down (though I would have taken the 4th this year), but this pick is just a dumb move no matter what the kid's scouting report says.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad