Prospect Info: MacKenzie Blackwood -G- (42nd Overall 2015)

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Bad pick. The best we can hope for because we already have Schnieder is trading him for futures down the road. Too high to pick a goalie.

sddev

#%$@ this season.
Sponsor
Jul 27, 2005
Mammoth Lakes. CA
image.png

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
honestly im not too unhappy. its a move for the future. I really wanted a forward, but we got a highly tanked tendy at 42.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Bad pick. The best we can hope for because we already have Schnieder is trading him for futures down the road. Too high to pick a goalie.

Would it really be the worst thing in the world to say, trade Kinkaid to get a two back next year (or even just ride out his deal) and have this guy already in the system?

God if the ripping's this bad for a second round pick I would have loved to have seen this place when we used FIRSTS on Ahonen and Damphousse with a 25-year old Marty.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
This will probably be a bad pick like Santini was a bad pick. :laugh: Frustrating until we actually watch him play.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I would've preferred a forward, like everyone else, but I can understand the pick.

You need to try to keep your entire prospect pool deep -- forwards, goaltenders, defense. You never know what will happen. Lou had to face this the hard way when Parise and Kovalchuk left. Yes, you need forwards but if you really like Blackwood, you take him.

He's a great goalie prospect, don't let the fact that you wanted a forward detract from that.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
This will probably be a bad pick like Santini was a bad pick. :laugh: Frustrating until we actually watch him play.

this is my feeling. was frustrated we didnt take a forward then, happy with Santini now. probably will feel the same with Blackwood down the road *shrug*

NJD1982

Mar 31, 2007
Good athlete, big size, he's probably gonna be the goalie for Canada at the WJC so that's nice.

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005
Interesting pick, probably at least four years away from making an impact at the NHL level and maybe another year or two if they think he has starter potential.

And Cory is signed for 6. This is underwhelming for sure, but I'm ok with it.

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
Awful, awful, awful. This is the biggest waste of a pick since Ari Ahonen.

This is bad process, no doubt about it. It could work out for us but there is zero logic behind this pick. We have our starting goalie for the next 7 years. Are we using 2nd round picks on insurance players?

I can't even wrap my head around how mind-numbingly stupid this pick is. I don't care who he is or how good he might become.

Reactions: Colin226

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
Really, really like this player and glad he's in the system.

Do not like the pick at all. The Devils need every forward prospect they can get because they absolutely need some to hit and the more they have the higher the odds are. This pick was really important for that purpose.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Would it really be the worst thing in the world to say, trade Kinkaid to get a two back next year (or even just ride out his deal) and have this guy already in the system?

God if the ripping's this bad for a second round pick I would have loved to have seen this place when we used FIRSTS on Ahonen and Damphousse with a 25-year old Marty.

That is still being a pick for more futures. There is a higher chance that a a skater picked in that slot has a bigger and more recent impact than futures you get in dealing one of the goalies down the road. And those futures are the ceiling of this pick.

And those were awful picks back then, but even then Marty at the time wasn't signed for 7 more years.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Interesting pick, probably at least four years away from making an impact at the NHL level and maybe another year or two if they think he has starter potential.

Which is the point. I think the idea is to try and avoid what is going on in Buffalo, Edmonton, San Jose, etc. Having to give up lots of picks for a goalie.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
just bad asset management.

yesterday got my hopes up but trading back to take a goalie is really underwhelming

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
just bad asset management.

yesterday got my hopes up but trading back to take a goalie is really underwhelming

Trading back is a plus for asset management. At least they have another prospect coming to replace the forward they lost by taking Blackwood.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad