Prospect Info: MacKenzie Blackwood -G- (42nd Overall 2015)

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
90% of this fanbase must think forward is the only position

i LOVE the Blackwood pick. Dude is one of the top goalie prospects in a extremely deep draft, he's tall like Bishop and can really play.

What next to NO ONE understands on here is that our depth at goaltender isn't as good as fans like to believe. We have a stud number one who is currently on the wrong side of 20, Clarmont and Wedgewood both became major duds, Clemmer won't be retained...

We don't really have that many prospects at this position if you think about it, especially skilled ones. I rather have done Merrill + this pick for Barzal but those freaking out about this pick are TRULY freaking out about nothing and/or are literally in-informed.

Did you say the same thing about Ahonen and Damphousse?

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
I don't mind the trade down (though I would have taken the 4th this year), but this pick is just a dumb move no matter what the kid's scouting report says.

I'm going on the record in saying that I think this was a great pick for the Devil's. Let's see this thread again in 7 years and see who was right.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think jimmies are a bit overly rustled here.

Speaking of which Tom's bringing the snark again :laugh:

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 2m2 minutes ago
Devlls' fans complained when they took Steve Santini in 2nd rd in 2013 because he was D. Guy is probably their best prospect.

Position right now matters little.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
@TGfireandice: Devlls' fans complained when they took Steve Santini in 2nd rd in 2013 because he was D. Guy is probably their best prospect.

:shakeshead: there is a difference between a skater and goaltender. You play ,ore than one forward or defensemen in the lineup (so there will likely always be some slot for a top prospect to fill). There is only 1 net so if you have a top guy signed long-term it is filled and that path is blocked. It is like a QB in football.

This is like Denver picking Tommy Maddox when Elway was still in the prime of his career.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Devlls' fans complained when they took Steve Santini in 2nd rd in 2013 because he was D. Guy is probably their best prospect.

Deep down I think TG hates our fanbase with a heated passion.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

The bottom line is it was a missed opportunity. In a deep draft, we could have had a borderline first round caliber forward. Instead, we took a goalie, the most insanely unpredictable pick possible.

devs1616

Jan 26, 2014
A goalie was needed. We have Schneider, Kinkaid, Wedgewood.... then you fall off a cliff

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Then use a late round pick on a goalie. You don't spend a second rounder on an Albany need.

Exactly.

The draft has a totally different complexion if a Sprong or Harkins is taken at 42. Goalie just wasn't a second round priority, end of story.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I swear it's like people think we should have UDFA's as our #2-3-4 goalies. Then if something ever happened to Cory people would complain we had no depth when said UDFA's played like crap.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 4m4 minutes ago
Tom Gulitti retweeted Matt
Remember that in 2 years maybe Kinkaid will be ready to more and want to move on.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 57s57 seconds ago
If Kinkaid moves on in a couple years, maybe Wedgewood is the next backup and Blackwood will still be early in development as a G.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 36s36 seconds ago
You don't just have 1 goalie.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I swear it's like people think we should have UDFA's as our #2-3-4 goalies. Then if something ever happened to Cory people would complain we had no depth when said UDFA's played like crap.

Remember that in 2 years maybe Kinkaid will be ready to more and want to move on.

If Kinkaid moves on in a couple years, maybe Wedgewood is the next backup and Blackwood will still be early in development as a G.

Do people want us to pull a Chad Johnson contract out for a backup? Because I don't. I prefer keeping our goalies in house and cheap.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Then use a late round pick on a goalie. You don't spend a second rounder on an Albany need.

That isn't what this is. Kinky is going to want to become a starter most likely when he becomes a UFA. Wedge looks really weak as a prospect and after that we have NOTHING.

I don't want to trade lots of futures for a replacement back up or sign one to a bad contract and he ends up sucking. (Ocho Cinco).

Plus we don't know what happens with Cory long term. He isn't THAT young.

This kid is good enough to down the road become an excellent back up for Cory and a potential replacement. Considering some people think we won't be contending until towards the end of Cory's contract this pick makes even more sense.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I understand some of you guys may not be thrilled with the pick, but if you want to see what he's all about, I did make a video on him, too. Sorry if my commentary's piss poor; still trying to learn and I get nervous with the mic :)

GhostofKenKlee

Guys starting to come into their own where drafted in the 09/10/11 draft for the Devils. Process that....

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
This is a bad pick all considering.

Yes, Cory could this or that, Kinkaid could this or that, but the fact remains. It's a bad pick from an organizational standpoint. There was talent on the board here that we could've had that would've improved this team in our forward corps, which IMO is far more important than having another goaltender in the system.

The kid projects to be good and very well could be a stud goaltender, but this is a pick that should've been made in a year or even two years down the line. At the very least I understand why they took Blackwood here. They clearly think he's special enough to do this now even with Wedgewood in the system who still has potential to play at the NHL level. Take a goaltender later in the draft or wait another year for one.

A bright spot is this potentially makes Kinkaid expendable in the future, but I don't think we're in a position now to even think this way. Goaltender was a position of strength for us. I was disappointed we left Bracco and even Kylington on the board here, even though they went even later.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

Patrick Sharp was his Neighbor lol

Thanks for sharing the video. It's kind of neat that he started playing goalie when he was 12--playing as a defenseman for all those years probably helped with the puck-handling. And I kind of like that he realized a lot of great goalies were taken in latter rounds, so the important part in development comes after draft day. The dude is also good-looking so I will award bonus points for that. :naughty:

The Beaver

Jan 2, 2013
Worcester, MA
I see it as 3 out of 4 picks were forwards if you include KP. I really don't have a problem with the pick. All teams do it. Montreal took Fucale when they had a prime Price. And Price with Theodore and Halak. Again 3 out of 4 were used for forwards. It's ok if one pick is against the grain

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Kindaid was had for free, so was Andrew Hammond...Halak, Miller, Mason last year Dubnyk this year.. all for the price of admission. And there are always the Hedbergs and Nabokov's the older guys like that looking for a home or like Al Montoya picked up off the scrap heap...

So trying to spin this as anything other than pure stupidity is a giant leap.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
They were taking a goalie today. This is the one they wanted. They added a bunch of young forwards other ways and probably are not done. I'm just going to let it go and root for this guy.

I really do like what he brings.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Just because guys can be had for free doesn't mean you'll pick the right ones at the bargin bin basement and if you don't, then you have to go shopping anyway.

Oilers trade a 2 and a 3 for Talbot
Oilers trade a 3 for Scrivens
Oilers trade a 3 and a 5 for Fasth

All those assets to fill out the goaltending position in the last few years for one team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->