Prospect Info: MacKenzie Blackwood -G- (42nd Overall 2015)

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I don't think you plan for Schneider's heir apparent SIX YEARS before his contract expires. Seems like overkill. We could have drafted a second round goalie in 2-3 years and it would have been plenty of time.

Unless they plan on developing him on the back burner for a few years and then flipping him. But that's not why you draft a player.

I can't justify this when our forward need is so great and there are still excellent F prospects on the board. Zacha and Palmieri isn't enough.

Claudi27

Mar 28, 2008
Barcelona
I guess you always need the starter, the backup and the prospect

Kinkaid was no longer the prospect because Clemmensen is AHL bound and Clermont or Wedgewood don't cut it

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
I don't think you plan for Schneider's heir apparent SIX YEARS before his contract expires. Seems like overkill. We could have drafted a second round goalie in 2-3 years and it would have been plenty of time.

Unless they plan on developing him on the back burner for a few years and then flipping him. But that's not why you draft a player.

I can't justify this when our forward need is so great and there are still excellent F prospects on the board. Zacha and Palmieri isn't enough.

I am so angry that I can't even formulate coherent thought about this pick, but I think you've summed up my feeling very nicely.

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
This is a good pick. This guy is gigantic and is also the most athletic goaltender in the draft. He is raw, but has a lot of potential. He moves well and was the Colts best player down the stretch in the OHL.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
You guys are unreal.

You can not like the pick, but you can't immediately say it's a dumb pick. All we're doing is sitting behind screens reading and watching highlight videos on players, we don't know anything about these guys honestly.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

All goalie picks are picked with long term development in mind. It is to plan for when Cory's getting older, Kinky is LONG gone, and what we do next because we don't have anything else.

Claudi27

Mar 28, 2008
Barcelona

While I agree, we're not in a situation to draft today kids who will help in 2-3 years, the team has to grow now starting from the last weeks of last season to make the playoffs in a decent spot as soon as next season, and Matteau, together with Boucher, need to be part of it. Just take whoever you see as a safer bet to reach his potential, draft smart and trust Kinkaid will play lights out again this season and generate a Talbot kind of interest or make Schneider less untradeable.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You guys are unreal.

You can not like the pick, but you can't immediately say it's a dumb pick. All we're doing is sitting behind screens reading and watching highlight videos on players, we don't know anything about these guys honestly.

We're not even doing that, we're just dismissing it out of hand cause of the position he plays.

For all we know maybe Shero does trade Cory two years down the road, shoot a vocal minority has been crying for that now anyway.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
You guys are unreal.

It isn't about the player, it is about the position and where the organization stands with it. Goalie is a different animal than forward or defense. There is only 1 that plays. We have an all-star signed for 7 more years. No matter how good Blackwood is his impact on the organization will be limited.

Mid-second round is just too high to take someone who 80% chance will just be a backup because of who else you already have.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
no one is saying the kid isn't talented or won't play in the NHL, thats not the point. I'm sure he will be at least a decent NHL goalie

the point is, you can find them anywhere. sign one in FA, sign a Euro, draft one later, etc.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
You never know what happens.

In a span of two years, Devils lost Kovalchuk, Parise, and Clarkson. Lou could not have anticipated that. We have no idea what will happen to Schneider.

If you like Blackwood and think he's a great prospect, you take him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

In a span of two years, Devils lost Kovalchuk, Parise, and Clarkson. Lou could not have anticipated that. We have no idea what will happen to Schneider.

2 of those 3 left as UFA. Cory is signed for 5-6 more years

not a good argument.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

And people killed Lou for that as if he was supposed to have a plan to lose his three of his four leading scorers inside one calendar year.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Look at the list of guys drafted in this range that have become stars. To draft a guy who most likely at best will be a backup (because of organization depth) is a mistake.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Smart teams keep their goaltending prospects well stocked. Think about how much Nashville has benefitted from the same thing in the past decade. I like the pick, he seems like a real NHL talent, and outside of the goalies already on the roster we didn't really have that in the system

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
You guys are unreal.

Yes we can, what do we have as prospects up front?
Hell what do we have at the pro level up front
A huge raw goalie, great when he snipes from the face off dot ( what we have needed the last 2-3 drafts) I'm gwith with this pick

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
You guys are unreal.

This has nothing to do with the player/the person and everything to do with the position.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Smart teams keep their goaltending prospects well stocked. Think about how much Nashville has benefitted from the same thing in the past decade. I like the pick, he seems like a real NHL talent, and outside of the goalies already on the roster we didn't really have that in the system

With you Rhodes.

Plus we basically got 3 forwards with our top 4 picks (I'm counting Kyle). So I am fine with using one on something else.

I thought it would be defense, but a top goalie is fine IMO because our goalie depth is putrid.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

And Shero was in Nashville for a long time, so he saw that approach firsthand.

He didn't really do the same thing in Pittsburgh though and it arguably cost them at times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad