Prospect Info: MacKenzie Blackwood -G- (42nd Overall 2015)

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Smart teams keep their goaltending prospects well stocked. Think about how much Nashville has benefitted from the same thing in the past decade. I like the pick, he seems like a real NHL talent, and outside of the goalies already on the roster we didn't really have that in the system

agreed

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
Look at the list of guys drafted in this range that have become stars. To draft a guy who most likely at best will be a backup (because of organization depth) is a mistake.

I don't buy that argument. Being "at best" a backup isn't as bad as you make it sound. If he develops into a starter quality goalie he will have a lot of value. Our starter was exactly that and he fetched the 9th overall pick.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Smart teams keep their goaltending prospects well stocked. Think about how much Nashville has benefitted from the same thing in the past decade. I like the pick, he seems like a real NHL talent, and outside of the goalies already on the roster we didn't really have that in the system

Understood, however look at how barren at forward we are right now - who do we have to lean on to provide us with what we need, Matteau, Boucher, Coleman, Quennenville, Zacha?

If we literally were not so poorly stocked and had a couple of more forwards with stronger upside to lean on for hope, sure I can somewhat understand and make an argument for taking a goalie this early, however we aren't in that position and that is why it makes it even more inexcusable.

i don't like the strategy here

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Unless Blackwood turns into an NHL starter, this is a highly questionable pick considering our deficencies as an organization. Conte has to prove me wrong.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Unless Blackwood turns into an NHL starter, this is a highly questionable pick considering our deficencies as an organization. Conte has to prove me wrong.

Why does he have to become a starter? Why can't he just be organizational depth for a few years, a backup for a couple and be an insurance policy in case of Cory getting hurt/traded himself, then be traded for value assuming Cory's still here?

You can't really draft goalies to be starters ever since you'll still NEED a starter for the few years while they develop.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
If you want to have a goalie ready by the 2021 there are other ways to go about doing it. This pick was totally unnecessary right now. If you want a contingency plan, you can get that cheaper and later. Kinkaid is a fine young backup we got for free, why couldn't we do that again?

I'm sure Blackwood is a fine prospect but that's really not relevant. You can get a goalie anywhere now. Team know that and are specifically drafting goalie with the hope of developing them and trading for assets. We don't need a goalie farm.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Every team drafts a goalie with a high pick at 'some' point even given that backup goalies are disposable. Carey Price was a high second-rounder when the Habs still had Theodore and Halak iirc.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Why does he have to become a starter? Why can't he just be organizational depth for a few years, a backup for a couple and be an insurance policy in case of Cory getting hurt/traded himself, then be traded for value assuming Cory's still here?

You can't really draft goalies to be starters ever since you'll still NEED a starter for the few years while they develop.

That is way too many ifs for a second round pick

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I don't buy that argument. Being "at best" a backup isn't as bad as you make it sound. If he develops into a starter quality goalie he will have a lot of value. Our starter was exactly that and he fetched the 9th overall pick.

My point exactly. We got him for futures, and he was an nhl starter at that point. Two years out from that deal and that pick still hasn't impacted the Canucks. Add in development time and season he spent as a backup to. Luongo (and taking out the two years he split time with Luo). You are looking at about 7 years before a true impact. A skater drafted in that position could well be in the lineup impacting a team well before that.

This isn't drafting a goalie high when you goaltending is Dan cloutier and alex auld, or chris terreri and a Sean Burke in a contract dispute. You have a starter signed for 7 more years.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Are our forwards that barren right now? We added Blandasi, the Russian kid, Zacha, Kyle, and Speers all this year.

Feel like that is a lot infused into the system in a short time span and we still have two 4ths coming up.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

using a high 2nd round pick on a backup goalie is not good asset management.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Everything I've read about him suggests that he is an excellent goalie prospect. At this spot, I would have preferred to take a forward, but we don't really know what our needs will be years in the future when Blackwood is hopefully ready to start playing in the NHL at least as a back-up, so he could be a useful player to us then even if we can't imagine that too well now. Goalies take awhile to develop, so by the time he could be looking at joining our NHL team, we don't know what it will look like. At least it seems like we got a good prospect with the pick.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Cory could fall off a cliff by the time he is ready. You don't know which is why you have organizational depth to prepare for whatever happens.

I rather use one pick now then 3+ picks on a trade a few years down the line. Goalie prices are to expensive.

Reactions: MichaelJ

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
People harp on the fact that you find goalies for free, for low draft picks all the time but not every free, low-round pick ever pans out either...in fact the majority don't. How many assets has Edmonton drained drafting/trading for goalies over the last few years?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Cory could fall off a cliff by the time he is ready. You don't know which is why you have organizational depth to prepare for whatever happens.

I rather use one pick now then 3+ picks on a trade a few years down the line. Goalie prices are to expensive.

for ELITE goalies, yes

for run of the mill guys, you can find them anywhere.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I knew they were probably going to draft a goalie in this draft. I hope that guys like Sprong, Chlapik, and some other guys who were left don't bite us. But the Devils have no good goalie prospects so it's a definite need and he was the top ranked NA goaltender as well so I'm fine with the pick.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I knew they were probably going to draft a goalie in this draft. I hope that guys like Sprong, Chlapik, and some other guys who were left. But the Devils have no good goalie prospects so it's a definite need and he was the top ranked NA goaltender as well so I'm fine with the pick.

The Kyle trade and Speers helps this pick even more for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad