Sportsnet: MacArthur sounds off on former coach Carlyle

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
So let me get this straight, Mac was taking shifts/nights off on a regular basis, and he had confidence issues everytime he was reminded of it?

Talk about being insecure :laugh:

mikebel111*

I cannot believe the number of people slamming Carlyle here. It's ****ing pathetic. The guy's a winner. He's tough, he's old school. So ****ing what? The results are what matter, and he's getting more out of this team than Wilson ever did. This is exactly the style of coach that the Leafs need. Otherwise, there is way too much taking it easy with the country club atmosphere. The best Leafs coaches over the past 20 or so years have all been hardasses and not exactly known for being the most communicative and open with the players. Carlyle fits in perfectly with predecessors like Burns and Quinn.

I perfectly agree. This team needs a coach that will be hard on them while at the same time being a players coach like randy is. Wilson was so quiet. he didn't say anything to them a lot of the time. randy makes mistakes like everyone else does. People harp on him for treatment of gardiner, however jake was brutal when he came back and than Carlyle played the heck out of him when he started to get it together. gardiner didn't play well first 2 games yet randy still played him and gardiner responded with a great game.

randy is world class coach and perfect for a young team.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
No they weren't.

They were 24–19–5 after 48 games that season, they went 4-0-1 over games 49-53.

The collapse started in game 54, where they went 7-18-4 the rest of the way

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20112012&type=con&date=01/24/2012

Check it out for yourself. 48 games and they were in 9th and thats with teams that have played 47 games as well and take away Ottawa's 2 games and they still had a 5 point lead over Toronto. Sorry but 48 games in and they were out

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
The Senators barely made the playoffs last year. If it were an 82 game season I question whether or not THEY would have made the playoffs, not the Buds, granted they suffered alot of injuries to their best players.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
1318492940559_ORIGINAL.jpg

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Plastis Wafer

Oct 7, 2013
Mac certainly has a point that not all players react positively to perpetuated criticism on a shift by shift basis, but nothing is accomplished by saying that at this point in time, Hopefully he does well in Ottawa, it certainly looks like he will be getting more minutes and responsibility.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Just glad it was Mac and not Grabo that joined our division. Should atleast add some more spice to the battle of ontario without Alfy there anymore.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20112012&type=con&date=01/24/2012

Check it out for yourself. 48 games and they were in 9th and thats with teams that have played 47 games as well and take away Ottawa's 2 games and they still had a 5 point lead over Toronto. Sorry but 48 games in and they were out

At 60 games they were in.

The downturn began with the New Jersey game where Gustavsson let in that brutal point shot in OT. Team never recovered from that point onwards.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
we had no goaltending in 11-12. reims' head was mush and gus sucked.

that's not the case this year.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
It's nice seeing our checking forward, Dave Bolland, who gets the majority of his starts in the defensive zone, making an impact at both ends of the ice.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
It's nice seeing our checking forward, Dave Bolland, who gets the majority of his starts in the defensive zone, making an impact at both ends of the ice.

Bolland has certainly impressed. I was a bit of a skeptic given his decline in responsibility for Chicago but hes looked good. One of those guys that does a good job finding pucks in front of the net and burying them.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
He'll fit right in with Walrus and his merry bunch of idiots.

Ok I get you don't like the sens and neither do I, but really why feel the need to resort to childish name calling? Besides Mclean is one of the better coaches in the NHL, the guy didn't win back to back Jack Adams for no reason.....

EDDIE20*

Ok I get you don't like the sens and neither do I, but really why feel the need to resort to childish name calling? Besides Mclean is one of the better coaches in the NHL, the guy didn't win back to back Jack Adams for no reason.....

McLean won back to back Adams trophies? When did that happen?

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
I still don't get some fellow leaf fans that feel bad for grabovski or macarthur and co. These are not the types of players you win with. There were some major flaws in their game and Carlyle decided to use players that were overall more responsible hockey players in their place. Glad to see there is no country club atmosphere with the Leafs and tons of players are battling for spots in the line up. That's the culture I always wanted in Toronto. For a player to cry about a coach after they've been let go just makes the player look bad. They sound like disgruntled union workers who were use to being spoiled and then all of a sudden lost their positions to better skilled guys.

Sad really , these types of players should stay far away from our team. Don't know why some of us sympathize with this, or even believe these guys were going to win with us. It was clear they were Ron Wilson esq players. Out with the old (losing) in with the new (dicipline, defensive responsibility, winning).

EDDIE20*

I don't feel bad for either of them. If MacArthur wouldn't have been such a floater last season, maybe they would have kept him.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Is it any coincidence that the two guys who benefitted the most from Ron Wilson's run and gun system were booted out of town and have sour grapes?

Let them ***** and whine. We're better off without them.

Carlyle > Wilson
Bolland > Grabo
Raymond > Mac

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
I still don't get some fellow leaf fans that feel bad for grabovski or macarthur and co. These are not the types of players you win with. There were some major flaws in their game and Carlyle decided to use players that were overall more responsible hockey players in their place. Glad to see there is no country club atmosphere with the Leafs and tons of players are battling for spots in the line up. That's the culture I always wanted in Toronto. For a player to cry about a coach after they've been let go just makes the player look bad. They sound like disgruntled union workers who were use to being spoiled and then all of a sudden lost their positions to better skilled guys.

Sad really , these types of players should stay far away from our team. Don't know why some of us sympathize with this, or even believe these guys were going to win with us. It was clear they were Ron Wilson esq players. Out with the old (losing) in with the new (dicipline, defensive responsibility, winning).

That's a big sweeping indictment considering we haven't won squat yet. We've beat 3 bubble teams with superior goaltending and "outscoring our problems", we were second last in turnovers last season and the turnover machine continues, our play has been a sloppy mess. I'm still waiting for Carlyle's sound defensive game to show up. Meanwhile, CMac was 100x better last Saturday than everybody's best chum, Bozak.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
That's a big sweeping indictment considering we haven't won squat yet. We've beat 3 bubble teams with superior goaltending and "outscoring our problems", we were second last in turnovers last season and the turnover machine continues, our play has been a sloppy mess. I'm still waiting for Carlyle's sound defensive game to show up. Meanwhile, CMac was 100x better last Saturday than everybody's best chum, Bozak.

So you're a big Clarke MacArthur fan? I've seen Carlyle teams play defense. They become superior. This takes time and the right personal - i.e. getting rid of grabo and replacing him with bolland, etc.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
At 60 games they were in.

The downturn began with the New Jersey game where Gustavsson let in that brutal point shot in OT. Team never recovered from that point onwards.

Moot point. After 48 they weren't which is what the poster was refering to, which is false.They were not in a playoff spot .Also who cares about 60 games when after 82 they were out of it lol the argument becomes silly after picking and choosing certain dates over others

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
So you're a big Clarke MacArthur fan? I've seen Carlyle teams play defense. They become superior. This takes time and the right personal - i.e. getting rid of grabo and replacing him with bolland, etc.

It still remains to be seen, Carlyle's been at the helm for 18/55/3 games now and we must still be top 3 in turnovers and we look much more like the Ron Wilson "sloppy/outscore your problems" teams than anything new, only with improving personnel and better goaltending, which is thanks to Burke and Nonis.
So everybody is willing to turn on the hatefest toward every player Randy dislikes so soon, before we've actually won anything.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
It still remains to be seen, Carlyle's been at the helm for 18/55/3 games now and we must still be top 3 in turnovers and we look much more like the Ron Wilson "sloppy/outscore your problems" teams than anything new, only with improving personnel and better goaltending, which is thanks to Burke and Nonis.
So everybody is willing to turn on the hatefest toward every player Randy dislikes so soon, before we've actually won anything.

That's been Randy Carlyle's best friend since he started coaching.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I don't care what Mac and Grabo think about Carlyle. I do care about what Gardiner and Kadri think. I hope those relationships are OK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad