Sportsnet: MacArthur sounds off on former coach Carlyle

hockeyfanz*

I don't get why he'd bother to complain about his previous coach.

How is that beneficial in any way? Just makes him look bitter.

Yes...same with Grabo. Just move on. Sounds like Carlyle has. I really dont give a crap if the coach is a pr1ck if the team plays for him. So far Carlyle has no reason to be criticized for motivating his team.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
It is classless to say so after the fact in the media.....go and speak to the man face to face and shut your pie hole in public.

Why would MacArthur go seek out Carlyle to talk about it in person? :laugh: This is the real world.

I do not have any respect for players who act this way.....as it serves no useful purpose.

Neither does what you just suggested :laugh: He didnt write a letter about it to a newspaper for ****s sake, he was obviously asked a question in an interview and decided not to answer with the standard tired cliché.

This is similar to people at work who say bad things behind the back of others then act nice in front of them.....

An answer in an interview that's going to be published is not in any way like saying things behind somebody's back and then pretending you didnt :laugh:

All this righteous indignation is so over the top :cry: :cry:

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Forward support and clearing the puck are things that can be concretely structured and practiced until they become routine. There are plenty of teams that don't have trouble with it, and its not because all their players are just individually better at it. You could hardly think of something more coach-able.

I disagree that is a coaching thing, the coach can sit there all day and Sunday to explain to his players how to execute a breakout play but ultimeltly it is up to the players to follow through with it. Come on do you really sit there and think Randy tells the boys "its ok, we'll let the opposition pin us down for 2/3 of the game but we need to come back with 1-2 quick strikes on them", no of course not. I'm sure Randy has told them countless times how he want things done, the problem is for whatever reason the team panics out there and makes idiotic play after idiotic play in their own end.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Franson just had what was probably the worst game of his career.

Don't know about worst game of his career but yea he was awful last night. I'll give the guy a pass though because a) he was paired with a rookie and was probably trying to do too much out there to teach Rielly things but he got away from the things that he has done good at b) it was the home opener he likely had a lot of "jitters" c) he was adjusting to a new partner, often times defence partners don't click right away (if at all), his/Riellys timing was off and he was guilty of again trying to do much due to a lack of trust in his partner. I'm going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt for now and assume it was one bad game, but yea if he pulls sh_t like this again I'll be on him like flies on rice.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Forward support and clearing the puck are things that can be concretely structured and practiced until they become routine. There are plenty of teams that don't have trouble with it, and its not because all their players are just individually better at it. You could hardly think of something more coach-able.

I disagree that is a coaching thing, the coach can sit there all day and Sunday to explain to his players how to execute a breakout play but ultimeltly it is up to the players to follow through with it. Come on do you really sit there and think Randy tells the boys "its ok, we'll let the opposition pin us down for 2/3 of the game but we need to come back with 1-2 quick strikes on them", no of course not. I'm sure Randy has told them countless times how he want things done, the problem is for whatever reason the team panics out there and makes idiotic play after idiotic play in their own end.

We all had no problem blaming it on Wilson when the players were doing the same thing. The honeymoon phase is still in effect for Carlyle, but I have my doubts.

Anyway, more fundamentally the guy I was arguing with doesn't even accept that the Leafs were not a good team defensively last year. And I gather from your post that you agree with me on this one. Biggest difference so far between Carlyle and Wilson is quality of goaltending IMO and this season will show whether the team hs really made any improvements defensively.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Anyway, more fundamentally the guy I was arguing with doesn't even accept that the Leafs were not a good team defensively last year. And I gather from your post that you agree with me on this one. Biggest difference so far between Carlyle and Wilson is quality of goaltending IMO and this season will show whether the team hs really made any improvements defensively.[/QUOTE]

I think in some ways we are better defensively under Carlyle, you don't see as many high risk plays, the team does a much better job at keep the opposing players to the outside and the PK is a lot more aggressive. That being said we still are horrible at clearing the puck out, and as a result because of that we give up a lot of shots (3rd highest last year) and we aren't able to shoot much (4th lowest last year) because we rarely have the puck to begin with.

So, at the end of the day I would say under Carlyle we have gone from a horrible defensive team to a mediocre one, we are nowhere near a good one and there is still a lot of work to do.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Why would MacArthur go seek out Carlyle to talk about it in person? :laugh: This is the real world.

Neither does what you just suggested :laugh: He didnt write a letter about it to a newspaper for ****s sake, he was obviously asked a question in an interview and decided not to answer with the standard tired cliché.

An answer in an interview that's going to be published is not in any way like saying things behind somebody's back and then pretending you didnt :laugh:

All this righteous indignation is so over the top :cry: :cry:

He is a classless idiot.....You speak man to man, face to face and leave the BS at home.

He also suggested that others feel the same way....why is he speaking for them?

He should simply let his play speak for him and when asked say, I have moved on and do not wish to discuss this....Like Carlyle did.

Grabo and him should both join a support group for large mouth idiots.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
To be honest I was never a huge fan of Mac during his time here. Yes he had that one good season and we got him on a steal of a contract but overall his play leaves a lot to be desired. He wasn't well rounded at all, average at best defensively, a decent triggerman but when he's not scoring he played disinterested, sometimes even softer than Phil. A good depth scorer but not someone you could consistently count on in a top six role.

After hearing the comments I'm glad the Leafs didn't offer him a contract. A guy wearing an "A" should be a team first guy and clearly Mac wasn't. He should of accepted the fact he got outworked and outplayed for a top six spot and played his hardest in the role where he was given. Whining to the media months later just seems petty to me.

Tyler Biggs*

Just play better Clarke and maybe you won't hear it.

Love the big babies in the NHL that need a coach to baby them….You make a lot of money and all you do is complain because he is not your friend….Coach is there to bring discipline not to breast feed you….

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He is a classless idiot.....You speak man to man, face to face and leave the BS at home.

He should simply let his play speak for him and when asked say, I have moved on and do not wish to discuss this....Like Carlyle did.

Someone needs to gif when Caryle, Bolland\Orr were sharing a laugh on the bench, and put a clever little statement into it referring to MacArthur.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON

I hate it when hockey fans just defend their teams no matter what. You have no idea about the situation. I'm completely fine with players speaking their mind. I don't know who was worse here specifically, but two disgruntled players lashing out on the coach in one off-season concerns me. These weren't plug hockey players either. Both had 55+ point seasons.

People defend Carlyle now because we're winning. If that changes the whole fanbase will hate him and think he doesn't communicate to his players effectively. It's odd how Carlyle is considered such a good coach despite awful, outdated roster selection, but a guy like Wilson is considered such an idiot because he played a run and gun style.

Everyone seems to forget that if 2012 had have been the lockout shortened season, Wilson would have been the first coach to take the Leafs to the playoffs.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
I hate it when hockey fans just defend their teams no matter what. You have no idea about the situation. I'm completely fine with players speaking their mind. I don't know who was worse here specifically, but two disgruntled players lashing out on the coach in one off-season concerns me. These weren't plug hockey players either. Both had 55+ point seasons.

People defend Carlyle now because we're winning. If that changes the whole fanbase will hate him and think he doesn't communicate to his players effectively. It's odd how Carlyle is considered such a good coach despite awful, outdated roster selection, but a guy like Wilson is considered such an idiot because he played a run and gun style.

Everyone seems to forget that if 2012 had have been the lockout shortened season, Wilson would have been the first coach to take the Leafs to the playoffs.

Two players who got outplayed and lost their top six spots to players who wanted to contribute and make a difference. (Kadri, Lupul, Kulemin) I suppose in Grabos case you could make an argument for him>Bozak but it doesn't bother you that those players are refusing to hold themselves accountable for their play and instead blaming the coach?

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

On the flip side, some of these self-loathing Leaf fans (we have plenty) will seize on this as proof positive that RC is a bad coach, he treats players poorly, etc, etc.

As for people defending RC because he's winning, it's like that with any coach. If you're winning, your style is successful. The same style whilst you're losing means you're garbage. It's all about results.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
I cannot believe the number of people slamming Carlyle here. It's ****ing pathetic. The guy's a winner. He's tough, he's old school. So ****ing what? The results are what matter, and he's getting more out of this team than Wilson ever did. This is exactly the style of coach that the Leafs need. Otherwise, there is way too much taking it easy with the country club atmosphere. The best Leafs coaches over the past 20 or so years have all been hardasses and not exactly known for being the most communicative and open with the players. Carlyle fits in perfectly with predecessors like Burns and Quinn.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010

Probably the silliest thing you could've said, and there was a lot of silly in your post.

Tyler Biggs*

I am so tired of hearing players bad mouth their former coaches. At the end of the day, that doesn’t matter. It matters what kind of a difference you make on the ice and how much you produce. Just shut up and play, instead of being a me monster.

Scotty Bowman was the same way and he has 13 Stanley Cups.

Team Overrated

Aug 5, 2013
I liked him when he was here. We are a better team now. I wish him health and happiness, but not success, and that is only because his success is the Sens success. Randy is a a good coach; he has a three or four year window before the team out grows him. We made the playoffs last year performed well and I think we will improve further this year.

Tyler Biggs*

“Some guy don’t want to hear it every single shift you come off the ice.
I’m old enough to know I made a mistake. You don’t need to hear it
every five seconds."

Ever consider.. I don't know.. playing better?

Scotty Bowman, Pat Burns, Mike Keenan, but what do they know?

Last edited by a moderator:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

I do not defend the Leafs no matter what....you should at least know who you are quoting.

Carlyle is vastly superior as a coach then Wilson....their records support this.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I certainly liked what MacArthur brought while here, but frankly the comments he has just make him sound really pathetic. Apparently he really needed a coach that was going to coddle him. Sorry to him, but if he didn't want that kind of coach he and the team should have gotten the job done under Wilson. MacArthur may have gotten to pad his stats but they weren't winning enough games.

Carlyle may certainly have issues and I'm sure that kind of personality will wear out its welcome like it usually does. But it got this team into the playoffs and frankly I care more about this team winning the Cup in my lifetime than making sure Clarke MacArthur has a happy and fun time on the bench.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
You seem to forget that by game 48 the Leafs were out of a playoff spot

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
You seem to forget that by game 48 the Leafs were out of a playoff spot

No they weren't.

They were 24–19–5 after 48 games that season, they went 4-0-1 over games 49-53.

The collapse started in game 54, where they went 7-18-4 the rest of the way

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2