Sportsnet: MacArthur sounds off on former coach Carlyle

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Tbh if a current player said these things how long would he be in Toronto?

Defense

Oct 27, 2009
Disappointing, dont want players leaving with a sour taste in their mouths,,,

However Kessel signed a max term extension, so I wouldnt be too worried

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
TBH with you guys, I actually feel for Mac and Grabo. Carlyle was a douch to them and still is to many players. IDK who would want to play in Toronto just because of him. If you guys remember correctly, Lupul sounded off on him right after he left anaheim. He's a terrible coach to his team and makes them feel like crap.

I really hate carlyle as our coach and times like this, it makes it frustrating that we have such a terrible management

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
So he's complaining that the coach is telling him he made a mistake? What a crybaby. You make a mistake and don't want people to tell you is the most absurd thing I've ever heard

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Disappointing, dont want players leaving with a sour taste in their mouths,,,

However Kessel signed a max term extension, so I wouldnt be too worried
Exactly.

Lupul didn't like Carlyle in Anaheim yet he signs a 5 year deal.

**** happens, some can get over it, others cant.

TBH with you guys, I actually feel for Mac and Grabo. Carlyle was a douch to them and still is to many players. IDK who would want to play in Toronto just because of him. If you guys remember correctly, Lupul sounded off on him right after he left anaheim. He's a terrible coach to his team and makes them feel like crap.

I really hate carlyle as our coach and times like this, it makes it frustrating that we have such a terrible management
Yeah and then theres other guys like Bobby Ryan praising Carlyle about how he made him into a much better player, it can go both ways, take the blinders off bud.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010

Yea.. winning back 2 back on the road to open the season.. it's tough. :laugh:

Everyone doesn't get along with everyone.. that's just not how the world works. I'm sure there are players that appreciate Carlyle's tough love (the guys getting the TOI).

Some people need a kick in the ass to perform... others need someone to massage their ego's/feelings. Different strokes for different folks.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

Everyone had enough of the Ronnie Wilson country club atmosphere around here...and the results speak for themselves. How are you able to speak with such certainty about how RC treated certain players? I mean, all we get to hear is one side of the story, how do you truly know what's going on in that dressing room?

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
I don't get why he'd bother to complain about his previous coach.

How is that beneficial in any way? Just makes him look bitter.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org

agreed, Carlyle seems to be a bit of a Mike Keenan-esque d-bag

that said, until he loses the team and the wheels come off, it's his show and they'll have to deal with it

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

And yet Kessel chose to re-sign for 8 years and Lupul seems to be doing just fine with him now. He was upset that he didn't want to hear criticism. Oh boo hoo. You make millions and it is the coaches job to, get this, COACH. If the coach has to tell you every shift that you are doing something wrong, then maybe you should stop doing it.. Clearly, MacArthur wasn't doing it or else he wouldn't have to keep harping on it. The guy sounds like my teenager. Glad he's gone as well as Grabovski. What a couple of crybabies...

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Wilson, Maurice and Quinn were all player's coaches, and we all frequently got to hear about the Muskoka Five and country club atmosphere from the media.

Pardon me if I'm not going to cry over the fact that we have a hard ass coach who demands accountability. This is what everyone was screaming for anyway.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Not everyone gets along with their boss in every job, but the most important thing is that it translates into success. From what I observe about Randy is that he seems in relatively good spirits and passes a lot of knowledge to players when they get off the bench. I am personally thrilled to have Randy behind our bench and you guys should be too. It is night and day to have an actual system that is evident and working, and clearly it is working for us.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Everyone had enough of the Ronnie Wilson country club atmosphere around here...and the results speak for themselves. How are you able to speak with such certainty about how RC treated certain players? I mean, all we get to hear is one side of the story, how do you truly know what's going on in that dressing room?

Bingo.
Carlyle seems like he's the kind of guy who expects a certain kind of attitude and behaviour. it might not be all flashy and whatever. All I have to say is - there's being frustrated that you aren't getting the chances you were before, I understand that.

but as I said at the end of the day it shouldn't be about YOU and your ice time, or whatever. It's one thing like Lupul not playing Left (when he wanted to, and thought he could be better, and Carlyle saying no (albeit, also due to the depth on the left for Anaheim at the time), then Loops getting traded, put on the left, and putting on a clinic here, and Carlyle admitting yes, there was a big mistake).

it's about
:leafs

the end. so if you get 10 minutes, you make the most of that ten minutes and perform. Komisarek played what? 4, 5 games all year before being press boxed and then Marlie-d and hasn't said a WORD. Do you think/feel he was happy? No, but he's not crying about the media, because he acknowledges the fact that his play probably didn't warrant more time, as well as he didn't fit the system Carlyle was trying to interject here.

same for Liles.

so as much as Grabovski, Mac, (Bobby Ryan) are complaining about how they were woefully mistreated, well, you know what. whatever. he has to do what's best for the club.

Penalty Kill Icing*

I agree with Mac on this one. Going at this rate, people are going to be tired of defending Carlyle sooner than later. :laugh:

Paul MacLean made the playoffs without Anderson, Karlsson, Spezza while being a player's coach. Alfie signed in Detroit, but you don't see him mouthing off MacLean (who clearly wasn't an issue anyways).

People in here didn't see playoffs for a decade and giving Carlyle far more credit than players like Reimer, McClement for playing out of their skin.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I pretty much expect most of the ex Leafs under Carlyle to say things like this. Carlyle is a polarizing figure whom clearly isn't a players coach.

Some people will like that approach and others won't. As long as the team is filled with guys who do, then it's no problem.

I think it's pretty clear that Carlyle expects NHL players to be pros and frowns on drama. I can see how it can be tough to work under a person like that but at the same time, it can be beneficial to a player to get such a straight forward approach. I'm sure these guys are used to all kinds of management styles.

In the end all coaches get fired anyway. All we need to care about is wins. All Carlyle cares about is a professional attitude and a strong work ethic.

At least Carlyle can handle the media properly and his true feelings usually stay within the dressing room.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Okay who here thinks Carlyle doesn't make mistakes using players properly?

Now what does Carlyle say about using players properly?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=620318

"Lupes made a comment that when we were in Anaheim that he felt I didn't use him correctly, and he was right," Carlyle said of his new top-line left wing. "I made the mistake, and I said it at that time, of not putting Joffrey Lupul at left wing in our top-six grouping.

The world isn't black and white.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
So he's complaining that the coach is telling him he made a mistake? What a crybaby. You make a mistake and don't want people to tell you is the most absurd thing I've ever heard
you know you made a mistake... and when you have people hammering it non-stop... it's annoying and makes u perform WORSE

that is his argument, learn to read

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad