LW/RW Kirill Kaprizov (2015, 135th, MIN) - Part II

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Minneapolis is a nice place to live if you don't mind winter. Most hockey players like it here, but there are a few who want a faster life in cities where women wear bikinis rather than parkas.

Kaprizov isn't that guy for sure. He loves winter, as absolutely most Sibirians. There are of course those who hate one, like me for example, but we are exceptions.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Kaprizov isn't that guy for sure. He loves winter, as absolutely most Sibirians. There are of course those who hate one, like me for example, but we are exceptions.
Hopefully we can surround him with some good supporting players, and he will want to stay. Their are some good ones now, but also some deadwood, much of which will go away after the season. Hopefully Boldy will be ready next year, maybe Rossi, and in a couple of years Beckman/ Khovanov/ Khunutdinov/2021 1sts...maybe even a guy like Firstov. You hope to hit on at least one of those.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
NYC and CHI have their own, big city charms that St. Paul can never come close to reproducing. Detroit...well, that was a long time ago. When the original Russian five came over Detroit was still a thriving, wealthy city, with a great sports and music culture, albeit one that was starting to fade.

For guy who want either who wants either warm weather/beaches or a world class city then MN isn't for you. If you don't mind the winter, like the outdoors, want a hockey atmosphere, and prefer a smaller, cleaner city then the Twin cities are great. Many Canadians/Scandinavians like it here. 2.5-3M here buys you a fantastic home. In NYC that buys you an apartment. In Malibu, a townhome.

Reactions: IHaveNoCreativity

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Hopefully we can surround him with some good supporting players, and he will want to stay. Their are some good ones now, but also some deadwood, much of which will go away after the season. Hopefully Boldy will be ready next year, maybe Rossi, and in a couple of years Beckman/ Khovanov/ Khunutdinov/2021 1sts...maybe even a guy like Firstov. You hope to hit on at least one of those.

Hopefully Sokolov as well

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He lived most of his life in such depressive places, so I believe that MN is like heaven after it. Of course years in Ufa and Moscow showed him good places, but childhood in Novokuznetsk is tough school :)
From what I gather his parents spend a lot of time outside big cities and that's his aspiration too if you look at what he usually does in the offseason. The nature around Novokuznetsk is sure thing better than many of those Metropolis surroundings.

Reactions: timhoc

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Hope Kirill will make the Wild more popular, because it's almost impossible to say, that the team is from State of Hockey.

Funny thing is Kaprizov was considered a goalscorer in the KHL, but in the NHL he looks like a phenomenal playmaker.

The Wild should use his one-timer on PP. Like this his winning goal at the Olympics.

BTW NHL announcers should learn from that Olympics announcer, how to pronounce Kaprizov.

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Hope Kirill will make the Wild more popular, because it's almost impossible to say, that the team is from State of Hockey.

Two points:

1) The term "State of Hockey" is just a slogan created by the Wild's marketing department back in 2000. It's corny and I almost wish they never came up with it.

2) Hockey at all levels (youth, high school, NCAA and NHL) is extremely popular in Minnesota. Per capita, my bet is that there more hockey fans in Minnesota than any other state in the US. How many other states have a similar number nationally ranked NCAA programs within their borders, an NHL team, AND a high school tournament that packs 18,000+ fans in the building?

Last edited:
Reactions: IHaveNoCreativity

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Two points:

1) The term "State of Hockey" is just a marketing slogan created by the Wild back in 2000. It's hokey and I almost wish they never came up with it.

2) Hockey at all levels (youth, high school, NCAA and NHL) is extremely popular in Minnesota. Per capita, my bet is that there more hockey fans in Minnesota than any other state in the US. How many other states have a similar number nationally ranked NCAA programs within their borders, an NHL team, AND a high school tournament that packs 18,000+ fans in the building?

Probably, but the Wild's fanbase looks smaller, than any Californian team's.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Which metric are you basing this on? Certainly not game attendance figures or local tv viewing ratings, because Minnesota leads all the California NHL teams in those metrics by quite a margin.

Last edited:

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If you’re going off of HF, that may appear right, but if you were in Minnesota you’d know that’s wrong. There’s Wild fans all over, people wearing gear, putting stickers in their cars, Etc. Hockey is just a big part of Minnesota culture in the winter and I hope it continues to grow and push into more non-traditional communities.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
If you’re going off of HF, that may appear right, but if you were in Minnesota you’d know that’s wrong. There’s Wild fans all over, people wearing gear, putting stickers in their cars, Etc. Hockey is just a big part of Minnesota culture in the winter and I hope it continues to grow and push into more non-traditional communities.

Nice to know, thanks. And I don't mean just HF, it looks like it's hard to find Wild fans in Internet overall.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Minnesota is a smaller state population wise, but it is by far the most hockeycentric state playing wise. It is to youth hockey what California or Florida is to youth baseball, or Texas is to youth football.

Don't confuse a hockey message board with hockey in general. Minnesotans are probably too busy out on the pond, or in the seats in an arena screaming, to bother posting on a forum.

Minnesota is like Canada in terms of hockey, not like any of the other states. One thing I love about it is that the youth teams in season are from the towns they live in, not playing for some for profit hockey organization, or some private hockey academy/school (there are a couple of exceptions such as Shattuck). This makes for some great rivalries within the State. Players just have to drive 5 miles to get a great game or tournament, whereas a team in STL, or ARI, might have to fly to get a good series of games.

Last edited:

P10p

May 15, 2012
It's all perspective. I live in Ontario, Canada and I know more fans of the Wild than at least 15 other teams. Which I find odd lol.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Internet hasn't made it to most parts of Minnesota yet. Some locations even use candles for light and get their water from a well.
Don't be peddling your fancy "filtered" city water to me! Probably loaded with all kinds of toxins like fluoride.

:sarcasm:

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Watch Kaprizov's assist on Hartman's goal vs. the Avs last night. Great finish by Hartman to be sure, but Kaprizov carried into the zone with nothin, and through puck skills, strength and a fantastic pass created something. He really does think and see the game at an elite level, and has the tools to use that vision.

This is utterly foreign to Wild fans accustomed to dump, chase and grind, outside of Fiala that is.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
For those who watched a lot of Kaprizov in the KHL;

- was he good on the PP there?

- when he played the PP, what position did he tend to play in the O zone(i.e. net front, slot, off wing boards, etc.)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
For those who watched a lot of Kaprizov in the KHL;

- was he good on the PP there?

- when he played the PP, what position did he tend to play in the O zone(i.e. net front, slot, off wing boards, etc.)
This was the ususal CSKA setup.

Grigorenko at the right boards(he would score a lot from Karizov's passes). Kaprizov on the left or net front.

Last edited:
Reactions: 57special

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad