LW/RW Fabian Lysell (2021, 21st, BOS)

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'll wait for one coach, teammate, that say anything about a kid trying to make the NHL that his work ethic wasn't there.

Feeling I'll wait for a while here. As always posters on this board are all experts..lol

The same applies to you when you don't have all the information about this.

Also how else do you explain one of the leading OHL point getters and comparable elite stats fall as far as he did?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I really don't see any similarities between Lysell and Collberg aside from both being undersized.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
A forward with size and an incredible shot fell to the second round after scoring 50 goals in his draft year.
The buzz was that there were motivation issues. His stock has gone up, this is a good thing. People grow and mature, this is a good thing.

Instead of pretending he was always perfect, maybe be thrilled that you got him in the 2nd round and he seems to have figured things out.

Pretending he was perfect :) ... he fell in the draft becasue of his skating and d zone coverage was a huge issue. But tell me, who actually said he had work ethic issues. "BUZZ" isn't facts buddy.

Lysell could be a steal, and starting a "BUZZ" about his attitude is nonsense. The kid has top 10 potential maybe even higher.

Last edited:

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
The same applies to you when you don't have all the information about this.

Also how else do you explain one of the leading OHL point getters and comparable elite stats fall as far as he did?

Can you explain why Cole Caufield fell? Looked like a top 10 prospect to me. Let me guess his work ethic? Or more likely size and a dozen GMs who value size over skill? Who knows, but I am not going to make up fake news becasue some teams passed on the player.

Do some reading outside of this forum. Read quotes from old coaches, scouts, international coaches, etc.. A little research instead of forum buzz goes a long way. Get a translator app and read finnish news on Lysell and get familar with the prospect, do your own homework on Lysell, he is a good propsect.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My head likes to compare Lysell to a higher end version of Kasperi Kapanen. Similar kind of guys. Speed first, everything else after. Lysell has bit more high end playmaking skill than Kapanen has. Slightly better shot too. Slightly slower acceleration/separation than Kapanen has.

I don't think their top speeds are close and top speed is Kapanen's defining characteristic. Lysell is a lot more agile at low speeds. It's like comparing a dancer with a runaway train.

Can you explain why Cole Caufield fell? Looked like a top 10 prospect to me. Let me guess his work ethic? Or more likely size and a dozen GMs who value size over skill? Who knows, but I am not going to make up fake news becasue some teams passed on the player.

Caufield is 5'7. No one needs to wonder why he wasn't picked.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Pretending he was perfect :) ... he fell in the draft becasue of his skating and d zone coverage was a huge issue. But tell me, who actually said he had work ethic issues. "BUZZ" isn't facts buddy.

Lysell could be a steal, and starting a "BUZZ" about his attitude is nonsense. The kid has top 10 potential maybe even higher.
For one thing, "D-zone issues" often does relate to work ethic, unless you prefer the scenario where Kaliyev was just defensively incompetent.

The top google result was this article:

Boom, bust, or Vanek: Why Arthur Kaliyev's a wild-card prospect

Including:

"He'll need to do the same with his slow pace of play, poor attention to detail in the defensive end, and lack of physicality."

"Some people question whether that's a function of Kaliyev's skating ability, while others theorize about a lack of passion. And the criticism isn't exclusively aimed at Kaliyev's time with the puck; it's his play away from the puck that raises eyebrows. On the forecheck, for instance, he tends to leisurely cruise into the offensive zone"

"But he plays at a slow pace. Obviously he can move, it's about if he wants to ... Money's a pretty good motivator in that regard."

"He's not somebody who is a physical player, not somebody you see fully engaged in the defensive end," Otten said. "I think that's going to be the biggest black mark for him. If he's not producing offensively, the question will be, what is he doing for your hockey team?

---

Now, I can already predict that your rebuttal will be to look at this, and other articles, and point to places where his coach at the time defends his play style as being cerebral instead of lazy or passionless.

But I'm not trying to prove that Kaliyev IS lazy or has a poor motor, but that there were questions about it at the time. Further, no junior coach is going to say that a top prospect of theirs has bad character, so you're seeking proof that basically doesn't exist.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
I don't think their top speeds are close and top speed is Kapanen's defining characteristic. Lysell is a lot more agile at low speeds. It's like comparing a dancer with a runaway train.

That is now vs future. I wonder how Lysell's top end speed will look if he bulks a little. Problem with top speed comparisons is that I rarely see players in NHL getting to go to their full top speed due to rinks being so small and distances between players being smaller as well.

As of Caufield. He just dropped because of his size. Another thing might have been his avarage skating.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Speedy winger with high end passing and an underrated shot. Typically players with this combination of traits can be a consistent top 9 player with capabilities of playing a role if unable to produce at a high rate in the NHL. Maybe not a top 10 talent like some have mentioned throughout the year but I would put him in that mid-1st forward tier with Sillinger, Raty, Pinelli, Stankoven.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Speedy winger with high end passing and an underrated shot. Typically players with this combination of traits can be a consistent top 9 player with capabilities of playing a role if unable to produce at a high rate in the NHL. Maybe not a top 10 talent like some have mentioned throughout the year but I would put him in that mid-1st forward tier with Sillinger, Raty, Pinelli, Stankoven.

I think Raty and Stankoven are going mid--2nd.

15-20 seems right for Lysell though. Guessing he goes in a cluster with Coranoto, Othmann, Pinelli, Svechkov and Pastujov (who I see as a riser).

Reactions: ShiroganeKvasha30

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I think Raty and Stankoven are going mid--2nd.

15-20 seems right for Lysell though. Guessing he goes in a cluster with Coranoto, Othmann, Pinelli, Svechkov and Pastujov (who I see as a riser).
Stankoven is a 1st rounder at this rate

Whileee

May 29, 2010
McKenzie polls NHL scouts and develops a list that tends to be very close to the actual draft order. His April list has Lysell at #12, indicating that NHL teams don't seem that worried about attitude issues. Maybe that will change after interviews and will be reflected in the final list, but the team transfer per se hasn't really affected his draft stock that much with NHL teams, it seems.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
McKenzie polls NHL scouts and develops a list that tends to be very close to the actual draft order. His April list has Lysell at #12, indicating that NHL teams don't seem that worried about attitude issues. Maybe that will change after interviews and will be reflected in the final list, but the team transfer per se hasn't really affected his draft stock that much with NHL teams, it seems.
As long as he can score and do his work on the ice, then thats what matters. He needs to also at least not let his attitude get in the way.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
If I’m an NHL GM, I like the fact that a player wants to play. If his attitude issues were that he wanted to be moved to get more minutes, that tells me he’s competitive and I like that.

Hit the nail on the head on this one.
Rather have a kid that wants to play, shows passion for the game, wants more exposure in his draft year. But this is perceived as negative attitude by internet scouts.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Hit the nail on the head on this one.
Rather have a kid that wants to play, shows passion for the game, wants more exposure in his draft year. But this is perceived as negative attitude by internet scouts.
Theres nothing wrong with that compete. Its bad when it gets to the level of someone like a JHS or someone who doesn't take the liberties to improve their game. Thats what is a red flag to me as a scout when im looking at players and their attitudes. Lysell doesn't seem to disdain the defensive game so he's fine, but only time will tell

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
FWIW nobody I've heard talk to/interview Lysell has left with an impression of any sign of attitude problems. I have yet to see anybody with anything of substance regarding attitude problems other than his org switch. Speaking of org switch, I'd be ok with the team that drafts him putting him into the CHL(so, with the Giants, who drafted him).

With that said, I think his main problem right now is that he's seemingly always playing at 100%. Nobody can accuse him of a lack or work ethic, at least.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
Theres nothing wrong with that compete. Its bad when it gets to the level of someone like a JHS or someone who doesn't take the liberties to improve their game. Thats what is a red flag to me as a scout when im looking at players and their attitudes. Lysell doesn't seem to disdain the defensive game so he's fine, but only time will tell

I understand your point, past experiances do affect current decisions\feelings, but Lysell is no JHS. Yakupov was on at least one team's no draft list because of his attitude yet he went first overall. Some teams ignore the attitude issues others make it a big part of the prospects grade. But like I said and along with other posters unless there is clear indication that Lysell is a headcase for wanting for more ice time it's not negative at all.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I understand your point, past experiances do affect current decisions\feelings, but Lysell is no JHS. Yakupov was on at least one team's no draft list because of his attitude yet he went first overall. Some teams ignore the attitude issues others make it a big part of the prospects grade. But like I said and along with other posters unless there is clear indication that Lysell is a headcase for wanting for more ice time it's not negative at all.
Well i don't think he is a JHS at all. I just always have that fear that anytime theres a prospect with attitude issues I get really bad gut feelings about them. In the terms of him, he did it to himself.

As for that, its good to drive compete at least, but is he able to elevate himself? thats the million dollar question. I would absolutely love lysell if he became a player like kapanen who uses shiftiness to his advantage.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Well i don't think he is a JHS at all. I just always have that fear that anytime theres a prospect with attitude issues I get really bad gut feelings about them. In the terms of him, he did it to himself.

As for that, its good to drive compete at least, but is he able to elevate himself? thats the million dollar question. I would absolutely love lysell if he became a player like kapanen who uses shiftiness to his advantage.

Interesting. Where did you read about these attitude issues?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $250.00