LW/RW Fabian Lysell (2021, 21st, BOS)

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Interesting. Where did you read about these attitude issues?
with ho-sang? It just always reared its ugly head every training camp or anytime he got sent down. LL was smart to give him another test but the man is just not an NHL ready player, and he isn't fit for a team like the islanders. Its hard saying that, but he doesn't work for his spot at all, and expects it given to him.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Significant plays from five games of Lysell:

Eh...

He made some better plays at the WJC18's.

Overall I'm not impressed with his stick skills. He tries flashy moves and ends up losing the puck at a very high rate. Just an OK shot, just OK passing. Like I said earlier in this thread he looks like a budget Lucas Raymond. And Lucas Raymond is a guy that doesn't look like he was worthy of a top 10 pick to me.

If Lysell falls to the late 1st or early 2nd then he is worth a shot but I don't think he's worth a mid to early 1st round pick.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Always wary of a player that creates most of their chances breaking wide on big ice. Not nearly as easy to do in the NHL.

That being said his skating alone will make him a mid 1st round pick. Kapanen is a decent comparison but I don't think Lysell suffers from the same tunnel vision problems Kasperi does.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Eh...

He made some better plays at the WJC18's.

Overall I'm not impressed with his stick skills. He tries flashy moves and ends up losing the puck at a very high rate. Just an OK shot, just OK passing. Like I said earlier in this thread he looks like a budget Lucas Raymond. And Lucas Raymond is a guy that doesn't look like he was worthy of a top 10 pick to me.

If Lysell falls to the late 1st or early 2nd then he is worth a shot but I don't think he's worth a mid to early 1st round pick.

What has Raymond done to not be worthy of a top ten pick?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Ogee has rode a slant against Raymond since that draft. Not much more to say than that. Everyone has their blind spots with certain prospects. Now he’s been a huge advocate of William Eklund and views him clearly ahead of Raymond, but also has this weird opinion of Raymond. Something doesn’t quite click, but so be it.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Ogee has rode a slant against Raymond since that draft. Not much more to say than that. Everyone has their blind spots with certain prospects. Now he’s been a huge advocate of William Eklund and views him clearly ahead of Raymond, but also has this weird opinion of Raymond. Something doesn’t quite click, but so be it.

I'm not the only one that views Eklund ahead of Raymond. There have been a few podcasts that have said that Eklund is a better prospect in his draft year than Raymond was. Were it not for appendicitis AND covid Eklund would probably have been around Peter Forsberg's SHL draft year points per game total.

Take off the rose colored glasses and watch Eklund. Objectively he does everything that Raymond does either at the same level or better while being much stronger on the puck at the same height/weight.

Looking back at the 2020 draft if there was a redraft today Raymond would fall either at 10 or just outside of it. Quinn and Holtz wouldn't even be there.

Guys that I can immediately think of that had better D+1 showings:
Lundell
Askarov
Perfetti
Reichel
Holloway (though I don't think he will be better than Raymond will be. His D+1 was really impressive)

Arguably Sanderson, Peterka, Bourque, and Jarvis did as well.

Back on Lysell, I think that he does a lot of the things Raymond does and plays a very similar style and has a similar motor, but he's not as good at the finer skills; he's not as fast, not as good a stickhandler/passer/shooter, is even less physical and doesn't have the same high level IQ as Raymond. I'm basing this on what I saw at the WJC18's. He's a good player who had some decent highlights but shouldn't be anywhere near the top 10.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Objectively he does everything that Raymond does either at the same level or better while being much stronger on the puck at the same height/weight.

Really he doesn’t. I think they are comparable in a lot of ways, but you make it sound like Eklund is infallible.

I think both Raymond and Eklund are much safer than Lysell, and saying you see a poor man’s Raymond in Lysell is just mystifying. They really excel in completely different areas of the game. Lysell is a rush oriented, push the pace winger. Raymond has demonstrated time and time again that he’s at his best in a controlled offensive zone set.

Raymond and Eklund are more comparable than Raymond and Lysell. And we can debate who is ultimately better between Raymond and Eklund, but I can guarantee you that you’re out to lunch if you think Eklund is as good or better in every category.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Really he doesn’t. I think they are comparable in a lot of ways, but you make it sound like Eklund is infallible.

I think both Raymond and Eklund are much safer than Lysell, and saying you see a poor man’s Raymond in Lysell is just mystifying. They really excel in completely different areas of the game. Lysell is a rush oriented, push the pace winger. Raymond has demonstrated time and time again that he’s at his best in a controlled offensive zone set.

Raymond and Eklund are more comparable than Raymond and Lysell. And we can debate who is ultimately better between Raymond and Eklund, but I can guarantee you that you’re out to lunch if you think Eklund is as good or better in every category.

I figured the comparable was easy to figure out. Raymond and Lysell are both small, speedy scoring wingers with strong motors. Raymond and Lysell love to rag the puck in the offensive zone. Raymond just does it better than Lysell and can do it for longer because he's able to stickhandle and change directions a lot faster than Lysell. Raymond can also be effective off the rush and created some nice opportunities with Frolunda on odd man rushes. Where I noticed Lysell more in a negative way was when he would overhandle the puck while trying to beat a defenseman and he beat himself instead.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
PJ Axelsson is the Bruins scout in Europe and the kid played in his home town. If there was any reason to not draft him because of an attitude issue I am sure Axelsson would have heard about it all day and every day. No concerns at all from Boston so we can bury that false narrative.

Lysell may have the best pure skillset of any forward in the draft and could at best case scenario be a Pastrnak light comparison. Looking like a steal for Boston to grab a guy who fell to them.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I don't see the purpose to bring him over so quickly. Should leave him in SHL minimum one more year.
He didn't get much playing time last year, and if he did with his talent he probably would've been drafted in the 8-15 range. By coming over he'll get used to NA ice a lot faster, get more playing time to build confidence, and the Bruins can keep close tabs on him.

Reactions: rocketdan9

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He didn't get much playing time last year, and if he did with his talent he probably would've been drafted in the 8-15 range. By coming over he'll get used to NA ice a lot faster, get more playing time to build confidence, and the Bruins can keep close tabs on him.
He should have been in juniors, but they shut down so he was forced to SHL. I don't think it says anything about what his icetime could be next season. Especially if he is deemed ready for big icetime in AHL, which I doubt.
Maybe he surprises but I think he should be on a 2-3 year timeline minimum and this feels like trying to rush him.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
He should have been in juniors, but they shut down so he was forced to SHL. I don't think it says anything about what his icetime could be next season. Especially if he is deemed ready for big icetime in AHL, which I doubt.
Maybe he surprises but I think he should be on a 2-3 year timeline minimum and this feels like trying to rush him.
The Bruins had Victor Berglund at Lulea last season, so they've probably got a decent handle on what to expect if they decided to leave Berglund and Lysell there for another season.

There should be five ex-SHL players in Providence next season, which hasn't happened in the history of the team. Should help the kiddoes integrate, if nothing else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad