LW Quentin Musty - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2023, 26th, SJS)

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The cream rises to the top. William Eklund is a shining example of this—he’s had brutally tough deployment on a brutally bad team, but he’s been incredible despite it even if his scoring totals don’t jump off the page. If Musty is as good as I think he is, he will take an NHL opportunity by the reigns. The Sharks do have some capable centermen (Hertl, Couture, Sturm, Granlund) who can support him. Probably not all of those guys will be on the team next year but it’s not like Musty would be sent to the wolves by himself. Staple him to Hertl and Eklund in the games he plays so he can learn good habits and actually spend time in the offensive zone, but personally I think Musty will benefit from struggling for the first time in a while.
Sure but Musty played in the AHL in his D+2 season is that even an option for a CHL pick?

I would develop him more slowly unless he absolutely pushes the narrative and not just in exhibition as people don't realize how different hat is to the regular season and NHL coaches generally don't develop players but try to win to keep their jobs.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Sure but Musty played in the AHL in his D+2 season is that even an option for a CHL pick?

I would develop him more slowly unless he absolutely pushes the narrative and not just in exhibition as people don't realize how different hat is to the regular season and NHL coaches generally don't develop players but try to win to keep their jobs.
And I would argue that it’s still possible to develop him slowly in the NHL. Again, we wouldn’t be counting on Musty to put up big scoring numbers, but to play the game the right way amongst professionals. I would even be happen to stick him with Nico Sturm on the third line and learn to play a complete, competitive game.

I totally get not wanting to rush him. But from where I’m sitting, I see Musty as a guy who has had not-unfounded concerns about his work ethic and compete level. I personally think he’s already developed some bad habits because of how good he is in the OHL. He turned 18 at the very beginning of this season and he’s 0.06 PPG off the OHL lead, and that’s with his somewhat lackadaisical and inconsistent effort. He isn’t being forced to improve because he’s already one of the best, if not the best, offensive players in the league. I think what he needs is a legitimate challenge, not another season of ripping apart teenagers.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
And I would argue that it’s still possible to develop him slowly in the NHL. Again, we wouldn’t be counting on Musty to put up big scoring numbers, but to play the game the right way amongst professionals. I would even be happen to stick him with Nico Sturm on the third line and learn to play a complete, competitive game.

I totally get not wanting to rush him. But from where I’m sitting, I see Musty as a guy who has had not-unfounded concerns about his work ethic and compete level. I personally think he’s already developed some bad habits because of how good he is in the OHL. He turned 18 at the very beginning of this season and he’s 0.06 PPG off the OHL lead, and that’s with his somewhat lackadaisical and inconsistent effort. He isn’t being forced to improve because he’s already one of the best, if not the best, offensive players in the league. I think what he needs is a legitimate challenge, not another season of ripping apart teenagers.
Fair enough but to me it seems like in 95% of these cases when a guy is "rushed" it doesn't seem to work out.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Fair enough but to me it seems like in 95% of these cases when a guy is "rushed" it doesn't seem to work out.
I hear ya. Musty is the kind of player that I think would be perfect for a U20 AHL exception, if that sort of thing was possible. He’s too skilled for juniors and he’s got the size to hang with pros, but he’s probably not truly NHL-ready. It’s a tough situation. I guess we won’t know until training camp next season, which is almost 8 months away—lots can happen in that time.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I hear ya. Musty is the kind of player that I think would be perfect for a U20 AHL exception, if that sort of thing was possible. He’s too skilled for juniors and he’s got the size to hang with pros, but he’s probably not truly NHL-ready. It’s a tough situation. I guess we won’t know until training camp next season, which is almost 8 months away—lots can happen in that time.
He might be but honestly this type of "situation" or exception like Dumais with some Columbus fans drive me nuts the difference between any of the 3 CHL leagues and AHL is really big and then the gap to the NHL even more so.

I honestly don't know if Musty can be that exception to the rule.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
He might be but honestly this type of "situation" or exception like Dumais with some Columbus fans drive me nuts the difference between any of the 3 CHL leagues and AHL is really big and then the gap to the NHL even more so.

Best outcome: the CHL-AHL agreement that puts an end to all this nonsense. But we obviously can't bank on that.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

So to be clear, you’re advocating for Musty to spend more time in the OHL next season?

Reactions: Sandisfan

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
And why CHL teams agree to that?
NHL holds leverage here, the more important part of the Transfer Agreement is the fees paid for players that turn Pro early not the "no AHL at 19" rule. If they can get a similar fee that they get when a player goes NHL as a teenager, they ought to just agree to it rather than fight it. Last year 6 WHL players were 1st round picks, 5 OHL players were 1st round picks, 0 QMJHL players were 1st round picks and 21 players were drafted from somewhere else. The CHL would be best served to not be difficult if some NHL teams want to put their 1st round picks in the AHL (and burn a year of ELC in the process).

Barely any 19 year olds are ready for the AHL as is, and many of those currently are the ones that just jump straight to the NHL whether they are fully ready for that or not. It would be a less dramatic change than people realize. I think there are maybe 3-5 players per year across Leagues this would apply to.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Musty has kind of an odd skating stride IMHO and had games last year where he didn't look the most engaged.
Still has the same issues this year. Certainly a frustrating player to watch as a Wolves fan.

He was much more invested in the defensive end late last year when D. McKenzie took over. He showed glimpses early this year as well, but has reverted to old habits. Effort and shift length another issue as the season has progressed as well.

Certainly a high skill player that would benefit from better coaching and accountability.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
So to be clear, you’re advocating for Musty to spend more time in the OHL next season?
As of now yes and unless he absolutely blows out the doors in his 9 game sample next year that won't change for me.

For me a prime example is a guy like Carson Rehkopf who has many people falling over backwards as the steal of last years draft and he was meh at the world juniors, compared to his hype, and the AHL never mind the NHL is such a higher bar than some people realize.

NHL holds leverage here, the more important part of the Transfer Agreement is the fees paid for players that turn Pro early not the "no AHL at 19" rule. If they can get a similar fee that they get when a player goes NHL as a teenager, they ought to just agree to it rather than fight it. Last year 6 WHL players were 1st round picks, 5 OHL players were 1st round picks, 0 QMJHL players were 1st round picks and 21 players were drafted from somewhere else. The CHL would be best served to not be difficult if some NHL teams want to put their 1st round picks in the AHL (and burn a year of ELC in the process).

Barely any 19 year olds are ready for the AHL as is, and many of those currently are the ones that just jump straight to the NHL whether they are fully ready for that or not. It would be a less dramatic change than people realize. I think there are maybe 3-5 players per year across Leagues this would apply to.
Sure maybe but there would be threads about why these 49 guys aren't in the AHL as they are wasting away in the CHL and that's enough reason for me.

Like I said every year we see guys in preseason or even early 9 game samples and think, maybe this is the guy then 2 or 3 years later not much has changed.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
As of now yes and unless he absolutely blows out the doors in his 9 game sample next year that won't change for me.

Sure maybe but there would be threads about why these 49 guys aren't in the AHL as they are wasting away in the CHL and that's enough reason for me.

Like I said every year we see guys in preseason or even early 9 game samples and think, maybe this is the guy then 2 or 3 years later not much has changed.
49? What 49 guys would be applicable this year? It's not even remotely close.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
How much of this was Musty and how much Sudbury vs. Sarnia?
Not to belabor the point but seriously, did you watch the clip? He got one goal off a penalty shot, two goals where he cleanly beat the goaltender on his own, and two primary assists that were beautiful plays to find his teammates all alone in the slot. He created all five of those goals.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Wasn't meant to take away from him as a prospect. Remember him from his days here with the Avalanche and thought he had a shot with the U20 team.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason the OHL seems to be a league of haves and have not this season more so than in years past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad