LW Quentin Musty - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2023, 26th, SJS)

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
He’s been about as dominant as anybody in the OHL as of late, but they didn’t invite him.
It could be because of the slewfooting, although I don't think I would ever describe Musty as a hothead or a dirty player in general. It could also be more about where he would fit in the lineup and the type of game he plays. He's not a bottom six player. There's not a doubt in my mind that he's one of the 12 most talented forwards though, so to be happy they didn't bring him seems silly.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
It could be because of the slewfooting, although I don't think I would ever describe Musty as a hothead or a dirty player in general. It could also be more about where he would fit in the lineup and the type of game he plays. He's not a bottom six player. There's not a doubt in my mind that he's one of the 12 most talented forwards though, so to be happy they didn't bring him seems silly.
I figured he was happy because he's not rooting for USA.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think USA can roll 9 scoring forwards. They don’t need 2 checking lines

Smith, Perreault, Nazar, Gauthier, Leonard, McGroaty, Snuggerud and maybe Brindley are the only forwards I think clearly deserve a Top 9 spot. Misty should’ve gotten a look IMO. Especially given that group skews small

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
No invite for Musty or Brzustewicz is questionable, but the U.S. has always shown a preference for Program and NCAA players than guys who went to the CHL.
Questionable? Sure, nobody would claim the USAH selection process is infallible.

But it's probably as simple as USAH believing that there is no top-6 spot for Musty this year (I expect he's a lock for next year's team) and that they have ample offensive capability among returning WJC defensemen like Hutson and Casey.

They're assembling a roster to compete for Gold, not an all-star team.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
No invite for Musty or Brzustewicz is questionable, but the U.S. has always shown a preference for Program and NCAA players than guys who went to the CHL.
I was fine with not inviting Brz, really no space for him on the team. Musty I was on the fence about, I wouldn't have minded giving him a look but at the same time we're already pretty crazy deep up front.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Questionable? Sure, nobody would claim the USAH selection process is infallible.

But it's probably as simple as USAH believing that there is no top-6 spot for Musty this year (I expect he's a lock for next year's team) and that they have ample offensive capability among returning WJC defensemen like Hutson and Casey.

They're assembling a roster to compete for Gold, not an all-star team.

I was fine with not inviting Brz, really no space for him on the team. Musty I was on the fence about, I wouldn't have minded giving him a look but at the same time we're already pretty crazy deep up front.
I think given the depth and composition of the roster, it is reasonable both of them wouldn't make the team. But you can also win Gold by scoring a lot.

I don't see why you can't invite them to camp and have a look, especially given their production is beyond what anyone expected. Not inviting them just looks like anti-CHL bias.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I think given the depth and composition of the roster, it is reasonable both of them wouldn't make the team. But you can also win Gold by scoring a lot.

I don't see why you can't invite them to camp and have a look, especially given their production is beyond what anyone expected. Not inviting them just looks like anti-CHL bias.
We go through this every year when someone's favorite American CHL player isn't invited. Reasoning substantiating that decision is provided, and it just gets ignored. It's all a bit tiresome, frankly.

Ask yourself this question. Is it more likely that USAH does its utmost to select a roster that maximizes the WJC team's chances for gold, or that it would willfully hamper those chances by snubbing a superior player because of "anti-CHL bias"?

Let Occam's Razor be your guide.

Reactions: Blueston

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
We go through this every year when someone's favorite American CHL player isn't invited. Reasoning substantiating that decision is provided, and it just gets ignored. It's all a bit tiresome, frankly.

Ask yourself this question. Is it more likely that USAH does its utmost to select a roster that maximizes the WJC team's chances for gold, or that it would willfully hamper those chances by snubbing a superior player because of "anti-CHL bias"?

Let Occam's Razor be your guide.
I think we've seen enough examples from USA Hockey at all levels that they, in fact, do exactly that. Not necessarily or limited to "anti-CHL bias", but various biases and poor decisions or beliefs.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I think we've seen enough examples from USA Hockey at all levels that they, in fact, do exactly that. Not necessarily or limited to "anti-CHL bias", but various biases and poor decisions or beliefs.
You're shifting the goalposts now. USAH is hardly infallible, and no sane USA fan would argue it is.

Does Hockey Canada always get it right? Of course not.

Believe in "anti-CHL" bias if it pleases you. I won't persist in a futile exercise to convince you otherwise.

Reactions: Blueston

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
You're shifting the goalposts now. USAH is hardly infallible, and no sane USA fan would argue it is.

Does Hockey Canada always get it right? Of course not.

Believe in "anti-CHL" bias if it pleases you. I won't persist in a futile exercise to convince you otherwise.
No I'm not. I said "not limited to". That means it is inclusive of the aforementioned anti-CHL bias. If you want to intentionally misinterpret the literal definition of words, be my guest.

No, I don't think Hockey Canada gets it right all the time either. But USAH clearly has a gap in thinking here.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Before the WJC Musty was at a higher than 2 PPG clip. The wolves have continued to score lots and lots of goals, but Musty has slowed down significantly, only earning a point here or there (8 in the last 9 games to be precise). Can anyone who is watching explain to me, what’s going on? Injured? Missing Dvorsky (who returned to the lineup last night)? Something else?

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
If he played all 68 games he is pacing for 122 points. Would be a guy who would benefit going to AHL next year, even though its impossible.
Given that constraint, I think he's got a decent shot to make the big club next year. He'd play 4th line minutes and press box minutes but he'll get a year of practicing at NHL level, learning how to be a professional, and playing in a pro system. Best case, he grows from there. Worst case, he's turned into a grinder and falls out of the league in a few years.

Counter-argument from another era of the Sharks, and we'd be golden if he turns out this good... Ryane Clowe was drafted in 2001 after 68 points in 65 games in the Q, and he had 73 in 53 in D+1. He played his D+2 year in the Q as well with 75 in 60. He then played 3 (!) seasons in the AHL, and at a PPG in 2006 got his Sharks debut. 5 years before his debut, and then 5 very productive seasons peaking in 2011 with 62 in 75 (and 100 PIMs).

Can't comp Musty to this, but Pavs was drafted in 2003 after 69 points in 61 games in the USHL, played D+1 in the USHL and had 52 in 52, went to Wisco for D+2 and D+3 and played well over PPG (56 in 43 his soph year), and then only had a partial season in the AHL with 26 points in 16 before debuting for the Sharks in D+4 with 28 points in 45 games.

So Musty would be well ahead of that timeline as well, which is why there's an argument to having him stay in the OHL. Or, we get lucky and we have ourselves a Zach Benson type and he can make an effective jump in D+2 to the NHL.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Given that constraint, I think he's got a decent shot to make the big club next year. He'd play 4th line minutes and press box minutes but he'll get a year of practicing at NHL level, learning how to be a professional, and playing in a pro system. Best case, he grows from there. Worst case, he's turned into a grinder and falls out of the league in a few years.

Counter-argument from another era of the Sharks, and we'd be golden if he turns out this good... Ryane Clowe was drafted in 2001 after 68 points in 65 games in the Q, and he had 73 in 53 in D+1. He played his D+2 year in the Q as well with 75 in 60. He then played 3 (!) seasons in the AHL, and at a PPG in 2006 got his Sharks debut. 5 years before his debut, and then 5 very productive seasons peaking in 2011 with 62 in 75 (and 100 PIMs).

Can't comp Musty to this, but Pavs was drafted in 2003 after 69 points in 61 games in the USHL, played D+1 in the USHL and had 52 in 52, went to Wisco for D+2 and D+3 and played well over PPG (56 in 43 his soph year), and then only had a partial season in the AHL with 26 points in 16 before debuting for the Sharks in D+4 with 28 points in 45 games.

So Musty would be well ahead of that timeline as well, which is why there's an argument to having him stay in the OHL. Or, we get lucky and we have ourselves a Zach Benson type and he can make an effective jump in D+2 to the NHL.
If Musty has a really good training camp, he'll get the 9 games and then Grier has to make a decision on sending him back to junior or keep him in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad