LW Quentin Musty - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2023, 26th, SJS)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What Smith chooses to do will also be a factor. The Sharks will have a ceiling on the number of young forwards they're willing to put in the lineup.

Do you have any report or comment from Sharks FO on that that leads you to believe that?

Sounds like a very good way to do it, in my opinion. You don't want the blind leading the blind. So many failed rebuilds lately.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Do you have any report or comment from Sharks FO on that that leads you to believe that?

Sounds like a very good way to do it, in my opinion. You don't want the blind leading the blind. So many failed rebuilds lately.
Nothing I have heard from the Sharks like that, but they’ve definitely been conservative with player development so far.

With regards to Smith, it will really depend on what Smith wants to do. With these top-end NCAA guys, sign them when they want to get signed IMO. Usually it would be ridiculous to ask the nation’s leading NCAA scorer-slash-freshman to play another year in college, but Smith seems very open to constructive criticism and has made noticeable strides on all his weak points this year. I don’t imagine he’s the kind of guy to be offended if asked to perfect them at BC next year, but I don’t know him personally.

I think it’s fair to question if there is anyone on the Sharks qualified to effectively mentor Musty right now—if he joined the Sharks roster today, he’d probably be the most purely talented player on the team. Who exactly on the Sharks’ roster is he going to seriously listen to?

Reactions: Sandisfan

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

No, more just it's the conservative nature of NHL teams.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Unless Musty absolutely bombs training camp, I just don’t see how you could possibly send him back to the OHL next season. He’s literally skating circles around everyone else in the league.

Edit: I just noticed the goaltender’s face in that clip after the goal and I feel like he’d endorse my post. :laugh:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think what that means is that the Senators aren't actually very good, or they have incompetent coaching.

All losing teams have "losing cultures." All winning teams have "winning cultures." A team that goes from bad to good suddenly develops a "winning culture." It's a meaningless tautology.

For Musty, if he is going to turn into a star, he can spend the year in the OHL. Development is primarily a player thing, where teams can help on the margins. I don't really care where he spends next year (but he's going to spend time with the "losing culture" of the Sharks no matter what, because we aren't winning for probably four years no matter what).
They aren't good because they don't know how to win games which is a culture thing. Lots of losing develops that. They are directly correlated. They have plenty of talent. It's obvious if you a actually watch them. Losing culture is bad for development. You may not agree but there are countless examples. Why rush a player into a losing culture when you don't need to. That's the argument right now. Having the player have one more year as a teenager dominating at that level and playing in important games in important moments will be far more beneficial. There's no reason to rush it.

Sudbury with all that talent finished 5th in a weak eastern conference. He needs to have some playoff success here be a leader and carry that team.

Last edited:

Pete Taylor

Dec 11, 2017
I see all this talk about losing culture which really is just made up, and something that has come up in the last few years.

San Jose had a winning culture for 20+ years, and now that they are bad, they have a losing culture? Its not like this is a team that has picked 10th or better for the last decade.

Bad teams lose, and good teams win. Its not like Ottawa does not know how to win games, they are actually just not a very well put together team, all things considered. Coaching would honestly do them wonders.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I see all this talk about losing culture which really is just made up, and something that has come up in the last few years.

San Jose had a winning culture for 20+ years, and now that they are bad, they have a losing culture? Its not like this is a team that has picked 10th or better for the last decade.

Bad teams lose, and good teams win. Its not like Ottawa does not know how to win games, they are actually just not a very well put together team, all things considered. Coaching would honestly do them wonders.
The Avalanche were a losing culture destroying MacKinnon's development until they weren't.

The Penguins were going to be a tough place for Sid to succeed until they weren't.

The Blackhawks were on the verge of bankruptcy and were a black hole for players and then they won three cups.

The Kings were losers after Gretzky left and had a losing culture until they didn't and won two cups.

Hell, further back: Steve Yzerman was a loser points accumulator who couldn't win when it counted, until he very much wasn't. Ovechkin was a prima donna goalscorer winger who would never win and then he did.

Actual losing cultures, I still maintain, are losing organizational cultures that continue to build the wrong team, set the wrong expectations, etc. Hard to argue that the Sharks are definitely a losing culture when the entire front office is new as of the past 2 years. Maybe this entire front office fails and we can talk about the ownership (Plattner) setting a losing environment. That's the problem with Ottawa, at least, not the players. Could possibly be the problem in Toronto as well, but that team (or Oilers) might win one and the entire narrative will flip, as it always does in a successful rebuild.

For Musty, it's less about Quinn and the Sharks next season and more about his individual process of becoming a professional in the best league in the world. Grier and co. have been patient with prospects (sending Eklund and Bystedt back to Sweden, only bringing Mukhamadullin up for a few short stints), but Musty might force the issue with how dominant he is in the OHL. I still think most likely answer is what an astute poster (can't remember who it was) proposed: 9 games, 5 game AHL conditioning stint, OHL, WJC's, and who knows after that.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I know this has been brought up a million times but the CHL and AHL need to come to some sort of agreement regarding 19 year old players. There's way too many of them that are too good for the OHL but not quite ready for the NHL.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I know this has been brought up a million times but the CHL and AHL need to come to some sort of agreement regarding 19 year old players. There's way too many of them that are too good for the OHL but not quite ready for the NHL.
It sounds like the agreement might come with the NCAA first, based on rumour mills...

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Create a transfer fee that NHL teams pay to the CHL franchises to offset the loss of said players. CHL franchises get their money, NHL teams get development control rights

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’ll once again say that he’s not guaranteed to make the US World Junior team. They snub high scoring CHL players every year.

Is there a college bias? Probably, but that’s what the situation is.

If he doesn’t make it in a top 6/9 role, he might not be viewed as a candidate for the bottom of the roster. The players he’s competing with for top 6/9 spots are elite prospects who’ve not been drafted, returners who have an inherent advantage, or players lighting up the USHL.

So factor all that in for what is best for Musty next year. The Sharks can’t bank on him having that tournament to play in if they keep him around.

• Wow

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’ll once again say that he’s not guaranteed to make the US World Junior team. They snub high scoring CHL players every year.

Is there a college bias? Probably, but that’s what the situation is.

If he doesn’t make it in a top 6/9 role, he might not be viewed as a candidate for the bottom of the roster. The players he’s competing with for top 6/9 spots are elite prospects who’ve not been drafted, returners who have an inherent advantage, or players lighting up the USHL.

So factor all that in for what is best for Musty next year. The Sharks can’t bank on him having that tournament to play in if they keep him around.

Do you know of any two points per game forwards that they've snubbed before? Genuine question.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
It’s a valid point, but I guess the Sharks would just ask USA hockey what there intentions are and while they may not get a definite answer, it will be enough to make an informed decision (if the decision to keep him or send him back really hinges on his participation in the WJC).

Pete Taylor

Dec 11, 2017
Would be shocking if he didn't make the US WJ roster. Could have arguably made it this year. I know they have a Bias towards NCAA and USHL players, but not choosing him would be a detriment to a team trying to go back 2 back. Lot of players on the roster last year that Musty was significantly better than, gap is only going to widen next year as he will be 19. Carey Terrance, and Gavin Hayes made the roster while playing in the OHL, both are signifcantly worse players that Musty.

I would say there is about a 95% chance he is on the 2025 WJC USA roster.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Terrance didn't play. And Hayes was in a grinding role. I'd be surprised if Musty isn't on the WJC team, but it's important not to misinterpret team roles and why some players may make it while others don't. It's not fantasy hockey.

Pete Taylor

Dec 11, 2017
Terrance didn't play. And Hayes was in a grinding role. I'd be surprised if Musty isn't on the WJC team, but it's important not to misinterpret team roles and why some players may make it while others don't. It's not fantasy hockey.
I said they made the roster. I know it isn't fantasy hockey, was just giving examples of OHL players who were on the squad.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3