LW Jakob Pelletier - Moncton Wildcats, QMJHL (2019, 26th, CGY)

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
Anyone seen him play in the AHL? I remember hearing he really played with a motor and was a pretty aggressive checking player in juniors

"He is heavy on the forecheck and finishes his checks. He forechecks and backchecks with zest" was a quote from Mckeens.

Is he still able to play like this against heavier opponents?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Anyone seen him play in the AHL? I remember hearing he really played with a motor and was a pretty aggressive checking player in juniors

"He is heavy on the forecheck and finishes his checks. He forechecks and backchecks with zest" was a quote from Mckeens.

Is he still able to play like this against heavier opponents?

I think his best skill has always been the forecheck. He’s much like Mangiapane that way. He just always seems to trick the d and steal pucks.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
B2b 3 point games.

now at 9g 16a 25p in 19gp

Damn impressive. sooner or later this kid needs to get called up right?

I think he'll be the first call up if a top 6 winger goes down with injury.
I don't think he'll get the call up for any 4th line duties when we have Froese, Gawdin, Ruz, etc.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
The top-6, as always, is missing an extra skill forward.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Pelletier-Backlund-Mangiapane
Dube-Monahan-Coleman
Lewis-Richardson-Lucic

I can dig it.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Having one hell of a rookie pro season. It's not the scoring that impresses me the most tho, all the forechecking, defensive stickwork, and NZ playmaking is at a very high level for a guy who just turned 21. He will have a long NHL career just based on that.

Reactions: wetcoast

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Having one hell of a rookie pro season. It's not the scoring that impresses me the most tho, all the forechecking, defensive stickwork, and NZ playmaking is at a very high level for a guy who just turned 21. He will have a long NHL career just based on that.
Honestly from the bit I've seen of him he seems like a Mangiapane type player who has a higher skill set at his age then Mangiapane did. I'm trying to keep my expectations low but man I'm excited for him

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Honestly from the bit I've seen of him he seems like a Mangiapane type player who has a higher skill set at his age then Mangiapane did. I'm trying to keep my expectations low but man I'm excited for him

Weirdly, I think Jakob has a higher motor and more intangibles than Mangi. And that’s saying a lot. Mangi is and has always been the more talented scorer for me.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Interesting to see how they get him in the roster next year. He definitely deserves a shot at the 3rd line. Assuming no Monahan (either he won't be healthy or he's gone) and assuming we keep everyone else, there's one top 9 spot available, but that's only if you assume Dube as the 3C. I could definitely see Dube being dealt as well to open a spot.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
It’s hard to see how they don’t have him on the roster at some point next year. He’s almost at a PPG as a rookie in the AHL and by all accounts plays a complete game. Not sure how much more he’d progress in the minors.

Reactions: brakeyawself

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I’ve loved this kid since I watched him his draft year. Ranked him personally above Dylan Cozens and still think he’ll be the higher end player when it’s all said and done. Excited to see what happens with him next year and beyond.

Reactions: brakeyawself

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
You could make a pretty solid argument for Pelletier to be in the Calgary line-up today given what they have in their current bottom six.

I really think he should have been called up sometime this season. Not sure there's much left for him to do in the AHL. And he does seem like he could be a good bottom 6 type for the time being. He's small, but in no way soft either.

I've been impressed by him since his draft year. He was kind of an afterthought. But I really believed he'd be a very, very good NHL player and possible a borderline star. Frankly, I think he'd be a better fit than Dube on the 2nd line, right now. Think he'd offer more offense and still play a solid complete game. With the advancement Lindholm and Tkachuk have made this year, both becoming legit studs and star players in my view, I think it's just a matter of time before Pelletier joins them. Which could give the Flames some room to maneuver with Gaudreau. Depending on what they plan for him. Dube, I like, but I see him ultimately as a very good 3rd line piece, who could play top 6 when needed. But JP looks like a surefire top 6 to me. Perfect fit opposite Tkachuk.

I get a bit of a Theo Fleury vibe from him. A bit taller than Fleury, Fleury was only like 5'6 which is crazy. But perhaps a similar kind of spitfire and pest with a great offensive ability. Just hopefully not as dirty as Theo could be. Maybe a more offensively gifted Zuccarello.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
After destroying the AHL last season in his rookie season as an 20 year old.
Tough start to the season, first 4 games with goose eggs, in his 5th game; 2+1.
(some time left in the 3rd)

Reactions: KapG

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Are the Flames ever going to give this guy a look? Or is Sutter just completely uninterested in giving anyone under 23 a chance even though they were short a skilled top 9 winger to begin with and now need another one with Huberdeau injured?

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
Are the Flames ever going to give this guy a look? Or is Sutter just completely uninterested in giving anyone under 23 a chance even though they were short a skilled top 9 winger to begin with and now need another one with Huberdeau injured?
He honestly didn’t play very well in the pre season, he left a lot of people wanting more. Sutter said in the preseason that he doesn’t view the NHL as a development league. When he calls guys up, he wants them to be ready and be able to contribute. Whether people agree or not, that’s how he rolls.

The Flames absolutely need help on the wings in the middle six. But clearly Sutter doesn’t think a guy like Pelletier is ready. I think we see Zary up before Pelletier honestly. He played a lot better than Pelletier in the pre season and Darryl had a lot of good things to say about him.

The major issue right now is the salary cap. The Flames are at the cap and don’t have any available cap space after having to call up DeSimone and Gilbert.

I’d like to see some youth come into the lineup, especially Zary. But it isn’t really possible right now.

Reactions: Marc the Habs Fan

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
The team desperately needs scoring but Sutter continues to roll out guys like Rooney, Ritchie and Lewis.

I‘d prefer to see them call up Phillips over Pelletier. He’s put in his time and he’s had an amazing start to the AHL season. Stick Phillips in the top 6 and move Dube back down to the 3rd line where he belongs.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
4 game goal streak, 8 game point streak (16 points.)
19 points in 16 games,

80 points in 82 career AHL games. as an 20 and 21 year old.

But for some reason, i guess not good enough for Calgary Flames to be called up.
Still very confusing.

Reactions: GeeoffBrown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad