LW Jakob Pelletier - Moncton Wildcats, QMJHL (2019, 26th, CGY)

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I mean….u guys can trade him to STL if u want….I’m sure Sutter would love Barbashev….he does a lot!!!………..well he, he does some stuff……..well, he hits, alright he HITS….total Sutter guy

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Finally!!

I hope he kills it with the Flames. Absolutely one of my favourites from his draft class. (had him ranked at #9!)

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
1 week later...he has yet to play and continues to be a healthy scratch.

I can't imagine how tough it must be for the prospects in the Flames organization to deal with the reality, especially if they are undersized. Unless the team gets ravaged by injuries, you have no legitimate chance to ever get a real look with Sutter.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
1 week later...he has yet to play and continues to be a healthy scratch.

I can't imagine how tough it must be for the prospects in the Flames organization to deal with the reality, especially if they are undersized. Unless the team gets ravaged by injuries, you have no legitimate chance to ever get a real look with Sutter.
Issue is there just isn't room anywhere in the top 9 rn. Lucic is surprisingly playing fine up there, even though he was dragging down the 4th line when he's there. Otherwise who does he replace? Dube just had 2 goals and backlund line has been our best line overall. It's just him a duhr fighting for one spot unless u scratch ruzicka

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

North

Jun 25, 2009
Issue is there just isn't room anywhere in the top 9 rn. Lucic is surprisingly playing fine up there, even though he was dragging down the 4th line when he's there. Otherwise who does he replace? Dube just had 2 goals and backlund line has been our best line overall. It's just him a duhr fighting for one spot unless u scratch ruzicka

Which is fine but why call him up to sit in the press box?

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
It’s a nice idea but he should be playing games whether that is in the AHL or the NHL.
If it's been a month or something then I'd agree, but I don't think a week is a big deal. He's missed what? 3 ahl games. Practicing with the big club and getting a bigger paycheck as a reward has its perks.

North

Jun 25, 2009
If it's been a month or something then I'd agree, but I don't think a week is a big deal. He's missed what? 3 ahl games. Practicing with the big club and getting a bigger paycheck as a reward has its perks.
It does, but hopefully they don’t keep him on the shelf too long.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Which is fine but why call him up to sit in the press box?

Because Pelletier deserves a call up.

He can learn his role in the system and show the coach what he can do in practice, and he can tell Darryl a lot by preparing every day like he’s starting when he knows he’s probably not.

And Pelletier doesn’t have to look any further than Michael Stone to see what happens when you just keep working.

Don’t forget, a week in the NHL likely pays Pelletier more than he’s made all year.

Whatever their reasons for not playing hiM yet, he’ll get his shot. They didn’t call him up to f*** with him.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Thought he looked good in his limited ice. Had quick feet to win puck races, threw a couple hits, had a nice chance. There were a ton of penalties in the game so not exactly surprising he didn't play a lot. Still got a PP shift and one with Kadri and Huberdeau so I think the coach liked what he saw despite his weird comments.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
He was great in his time. He parked himself in the net for like a minute and a half of his 7 minutes. This team needs more of that. He also has good wheels. This team needs more of that too.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He’s been a total beast so far. I know I know he has 1 pt in 7 games, but even today he could’ve had another 2-3 easy (he set up tofolli with a wide open net and he whiffed on it). CF% of over 60% so far, 14 shots in 7 games. Guy is a legit top 9 nhler. Even when Kadri and huberdeau looked like shit for a few games he was a major bright spot.

I really hope we don’t add whatever plug top 9 winger at the deadline to move him out of the top 6. He belongs and the pts will come (his OIS% is like 2% right now and he spots a pdo of 91).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He’s been a total beast so far. I know I know he has 1 pt in 7 games, but even today he could’ve had another 2-3 easy (he set up tofolli with a wide open net and he whiffed on it). CF% of over 60% so far, 14 shots in 7 games. Guy is a legit top 9 nhler. Even when Kadri and huberdeau looked like shit for a few games he was a major bright spot.

I really hope we don’t add whatever plug top 9 winger at the deadline to move him out of the top 6. He belongs and the pts will come (his OIS% is like 2% right now and he spots a pdo of 91).

If Kadri's a moment later on his deflection, it seemed like Pelletier was in prime position to get it and he was providing the screen on that goal. Really nice game out of him again, lots of speed and effort, hope Sutter continues to get over his size bias and let the kid play.

Reactions: Dominance

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
If Kadri's a moment later on his deflection, it seemed like Pelletier was in prime position to get it and he was providing the screen on that goal. Really nice game out of him again, lots of speed and effort, hope Sutter continues to get over his size bias and let the kid play.
Sutter’s “size bias” is a very exaggerated trait that got compounded because of the Phillips saga (who would’ve been one of the 5 smallest players in the NHL, not just an undersized forward). Gaudreau got the best usage and the most responsibility of his career under Sutter. Dube (5’11”, 185) replaced Ruzicka (6’4”, 215) on our top line after playing markedly worse up until that point. Mangiapane (5’10”, 184) has seen his role increase every year under Sutter. Kylington finally got his first real shot under Sutter, and he sits at 184 which is fairly small for a defenseman. People were quick to blame Phillip’s not working out immediately on Sutter being biased against smaller players, but Pelletier started out with less ice time than Phillips did and showed remarkably more than Phillips ever came close to. Pelletier earned every minute he’s getting now and he’s being rewarded for it, Sutter doesn’t care about size when the player plays the right way and is producing results.

Pelletier has been unreal though. The offense will come and it certainly looks like he should have more points by now, but his off puck play has been excellent and isn’t reminiscent of a rookie at all. As long as his play doesn’t slip he has probably played his last AHL game, his effect on his linemates has been staggering.

Huberdeau-Kadri-Mangiapane:
51.7% Corsi, 42.1 xG%, 2.12 xGF/60

Huberdeau-Kadri-Lucic
53.7% Corsi, 50.7 xG%, 2.57 xGF/60

Huberdeau-Kadri-Pelletier
60% Corsi, 69.2 xG%, 2.97 xGF/60

They have also been our defensively stingiest line out of every line Calgary has given any sort of time to this season by a wide margin, which is remarkable when the other lines are anchored by Lindholm and Backlund.

Last edited:
Reactions: KapG and Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad