LW Charles Hudon (2012, 122nd, MTL)

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
21 pts in 20 games as a 20 years old in the AHL (7th in scoring) does not make him a "meh" prospect. If he keeps it up, he will get his chance with the Habs this year.
The guy was on Team Canada last year at the WJC, he must do something right.

Yeah, 'cause the points of every smaller player in AHL history have been predictive of NHL success, right? :rolleyes:

He's a 'meh' prospect, because for all his minor league scoring, he's a relatively small 20 year old who's still a long shot to even become a roster player, let alone a star, any time soon.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yeah, 'cause the points of every smaller player in AHL history have been predictive of NHL success, right? :rolleyes:

He's a 'meh' prospect, because for all his minor league scoring, he's a relatively small 20 year old who's still a long shot to even become a roster player, let alone a star, any time soon.

If we take for example the prototypical small player who has success in the AHL, Corey Locke, and compare him to Hudon:

Locke:
16 yo: OPJHL 1.69 ppg
17 yo: OHL 0.78 ppg
18 yo: OHL 2.29 ppg
19 yo: OHL 1.81 ppg
20 yo: AHL 0.59 ppg
21 yo: AHL 0.77 PPG
22 yo: AHL 0.69 ppg
23 yo: AHL 0.92 PPG
24 yo: AHL 1.03 PPG

Hudon:
16 yo: QMJHL 0.95 PPG
17 yo: QMJHL 1.12 PPG
18 yo: QMJHL 1.27 PPG
19 yo: QMJHL 1.33 PPG
AHL 0.33 PPG
20 yo: AHL 1.05 PPG

Hudon always got better year from year while Locke appears to have a wave pattern. Hudon is also producing at a "24 yo Locke" pace at 20 years old, so it's a good sign.

EDIT: Also, Hudon has participated to the U17, U18 and U20 while Locke took part in none.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
If he actually finishes his rookie season over PPG, it certainly won't be common at all (plenty come close every year, though). This year there have been at least two others so far, Pastrnak and Klingberg, who have recently been called up to their parent NHL teams and are thriving after starting this season over PPG so far as AHL rookies. That's still not "common", though. There's no point in denying that, among our fanbase, he gets considerable attention and support because he's French, btw. It is one of the "Montreal typical" things that actually has a foundation in reality. People were really, really excited about Dumont not long ago, too, and Bournival, etc...

Solid players, but temper your evaluations out here on the main boards where there are fans of teams who have all seen better players go on to do less at the NHL at some time or another.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Now 23 pts in 21 AHL games as rookie. Not bad.

Hoping he's called up soon. I would see him replacing Prust on the third line with Eller and Sekac.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I would keep him down there the whole year unless it's an emergency situation. I see no rush to have him up. Let him prove he can continue to do this down there once the season really starts to become a grind in February and March.

I am not sure he has the muscle required to play in the NHL this year either. It's not like Gallagher who was able to play in the show at age 20 because he was built like, to quote Ray Ferraro on the radio today, a mail box.

Analyzer*

The only difference between this one and the one on the habs board is that this one isn't on the habs board.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC

Lots of small players may find success in the AHL, but the difference here is that he's doing it right out of the gate as a 20-year-old rookie.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
By the way he's not 5'8 anymore...
Listed at 5'10, 171 pounds.
Who knows kid might grow some more, and he should reach near or eclipse the 100 point mark this season. I wouldn't be surprised if the Canadiens reach out and grab him if they have a late first round or early second round pick. Talented player no doubt, might be a steal in this coming draft.

Good prediction...but I bet you just said that cause he's a smurf and habs are naturally attracted to those lol

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
3 more pts for him last night...now leading the entire league in points with 26. Not bad for a rookie

I've always liked him as a prospect but even I didn't think he'd do close to this well as a rookie in the AHL, especially with how terrible Hamilton is every year.

Dgill

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
www.metroho.com
I always liked Hudon. Plays much bigger then his size with a lot of skill. I still smack my head everytime I think we could have drafted him as opposed to Luca Ciampini.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
If he actually finishes his rookie season over PPG, it certainly won't be common at all (plenty come close every year, though). This year there have been at least two others so far, Pastrnak and Klingberg, who have recently been called up to their parent NHL teams and are thriving after starting this season over PPG so far as AHL rookies. That's still not "common", though. There's no point in denying that, among our fanbase, he gets considerable at
tention and support because he's French, btw. It is one of the "Montreal typical" things that actually has a foundation in reality. People were really, really excited about Dumont not long ago, too, and Bournival, etc...

Solid players, but temper your evaluations out here on the main boards where there are fans of teams who have all seen better players go on to do less at the NHL at some time or another.

I'm surprised you're not excited about Hudon. I've never been a big fan of either Dumont or Bournival, I find their game lacks NHL smarts. Hudon I've liked his game for a long time, he has top notch smarts. Considering how he's been performing and his WJC invite, I'd say he's had the opposite of the "Montreal typical" hype. Had De La Rose performes like this, you don't feel he'd have the same hype? Imagine if Latendresse played like this instead of being a slug back a few years. Hudons the real deal imo, he'll be an NHL player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad