LW Charles Hudon (2012, 122nd, MTL)

Marklar*

Habs really had a near perfect draft this year. Lots of talented prospects

nobody has a near perfect draft 2 months after the draft occurred. these kids are 18. talk to me in 5 years and we'll see how good it is. Galchenyuk is the only one people should be sure of right now

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
nobody has a near perfect draft 2 months after the draft occurred. these kids are 18. talk to me in 5 years and we'll see how good it is. Galchenyuk is the only one people should be sure of right now

Good post. :handclap:
Even Galchenyuk isn't even a sure thing until we see him play in the NHL.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004

True... But still a very exciting draft for Habs fan as our first three pick were expectedbto go 1st round in most mock draft and 2 of the other three were ranked lot higher than where we got them. Our final draft pick is a personnal favorite of Timmin that not a lot of people seems to know but shows a classical "Boom" or "Bust" type of player.

Therefore In appearance one can say that they had a near perfect "textbook" draft:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Saint John has been the best junior team the last two years, no question. Doesn't mean they don't play in the weakest league. They steamrolled to the Mem Cup this year. It wasn't even close.

Couldn't care less about Shawi winning a 3-4 game tournament though. That tournament doesn't really show you who is the best team.

The Q is filled with players like Hudon and is generally the smallest league with least amount of checking.

don't think scouts don't question how Hudon would do in the WHL if he switched leagues. He might get dominated there.

The questionning is legitimate, but I've seen enough to be excited about the kid. Now he's a long way from the promise land. He definatly needs to add some muscle, and oubviously, no one can tell how his potential will translate... but the skating should be fine. In the nde his hockey sense and motor that just won't quit are his bread & butter.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
no way he makes the Habs roster after his junior days, I think he will be in the AHL for a good year or two and it will be better for his development. Still needs to bulk up and get stronger

Exactly this, good player at the level he is at now, lets wait a bit before we place him on the first line with Max Pac and Cole. He really needs to get bigger/stronger as his skating is not elite and for his size he will need that.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

From scouting reports and all the people talking about how great the Habs did during the draft got the fan base excited, I mean we really had nothing positive happen to us last year. We now have a good enough prospect pool going forward to compete with the rest of the league not counting another 4 players to be drafted in the top 60 next year assuming we don't trade a pick. You're totally right, no one knows what will happen and how their development will go, but we are finally happy and excited after years of mediocre prospects in our system

Exactly this, good player at the level he is at now, lets wait a bit before we place him on the first line with Max Pac and Cole. He really needs to get bigger/stronger as his skating is not elite and for his size he will need that.

IMO I think what the Habs do with Gallagher, they will follow up with Hudon

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

While I agree with your thinking, its kind of ironic that Max Pac and Cole's current linemate is smaller than Hudon and isn't the greatest skater. Not that I think Hudon is a sure thing, its just kind of funny you said that.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
While I agree with your thinking, its kind of ironic that Max Pac and Cole's current linemate is smaller than Hudon and isn't the greatest skater. Not that I think Hudon is a sure thing, its just kind of funny you said that.

That's true, however DD was not in that position at 18, he started in the ECHL, worked hard to get where he is at. Awful lot of similarities between DD and Hudon, but DD is in the show by paying his dues and proving he belongs, Hudon could well follow the same path, and then again maybe not who knows, I always hope for the little guy, hard to do when they are a Hab, but I still do.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
That's true, however DD was not in that position at 18, he started in the ECHL, worked hard to get where he is at. Awful lot of similarities between DD and Hudon, but DD is in the show by paying his dues and proving he belongs, Hudon could well follow the same path, and then again maybe not who knows, I always hope for the little guy, hard to do when they are a Hab, but I still do.

Hey, I agreed with the long development cycle thinking. I wasn't sold on DD until last year, and I still have my doubts he has staying power. I just thought it was kind of funny.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

Obviously we won't know how good these guys are until a few years down the road. You can still judge how well a team drafted 2 months after it.

Montreal picked up a couple of steals, and late round players with pretty high end potential. They did really well in that regard.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
This kid is fantastic. Easily the best surprise for me from the Canada-Russia Challenge.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
maybe I wasn't that crazy for having him in my top 10 :P no seriously, really happy he did so well at the challenge. Hope he keeps it up this year and helps Team Canada in December.

Btw, it's not like he's that small. He's Jordan Eberle small at the same age. There's quite a few good NHLers at this size.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
IMO I think what the Habs do with Gallagher, they will follow up with Hudon

With DD and Gionta in the lineup and Gallagher, Archambault & Colberg in the system one feels that Hudon's chances are even more slim.

True Gionta will be gone by the time Hudon is ready to step in but how many of these undersized players can a big league team carry? And i ask that question as a big fan of DD & Gallagher. Also I was impressed by Hudon in the last four.
games.

If DD stays on and Gallagher & Colberg eventually make the team, how many here really think Hudon will be given an honest chance? It won't happen unless one of the other three are moved. I don't think Bergevin will repeat the dumb mistakes of the previous GMs.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Talent is talent... the more, the better. If Hudon turns out good and never has a chance, he'll be traded for a good value. As simple as that.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Talent is talent... the more, the better. If Hudon turns out good and never has a chance, he'll be traded for a good value. As simple as that.
A team will get more in value for a talented small player than a larger less talented player.
I have zero issues with a cupboard full of small forwards who are about 2 or 3 years away from steady icetime.

CH4

Jul 21, 2004
Chicoutimi
There will always be good team to beat ... you take decison based on your team, not on the competiton.

exactly

Chicoutimi ain't contending... And they won't beat Rimouski next year...

lol

Let's just handle the cup to Rimouski a team loaded with unproven players next year I guess and cancel the season.

F. Gauthier has proven nothing more then Dauphin
Desrosiers, their 2 euros, Gravel, boudreault, de Luca has yet to play a game in the league.

If we ever trade Hudon it would be at chrismass next year if our team disappoints but I highly doubt it. Let's just trade Hudon, Grégoire and dauphin right now I guess following your mentality.

Moncton should just trade both Saulniers and Quebec should just trade Duclair there is no way they beat Halifax next year :shakehead

Their run was this year.

we were less contenders then we are now before our moves of last year. things changes fast in this league..

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
With DD and Gionta in the lineup and Gallagher, Archambault & Colberg in the system one feels that Hudon's chances are even more slim.

True Gionta will be gone by the time Hudon is ready to step in but how many of these undersized players can a big league team carry? And i ask that question as a big fan of DD & Gallagher. Also I was impressed by Hudon in the last four.
games.

If DD stays on and Gallagher & Colberg eventually make the team, how many here really think Hudon will be given an honest chance? It won't happen unless one of the other three are moved. I don't think Bergevin will repeat the dumb mistakes of the previous GMs.

He would be on a 3rd line to begin his career, nothing wrong with that and he can step in in case of an injury to a player in the top 6. Anything is possible and like you said we are probably looking at a minimum of 3 years anyways. 3-4 there will be changes to our lineup

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I wouldn't put Colberg in the smallish player, 5"11 is pretty much the average size in the NHL, Gllagher, Gionta, DD are among the smaller player in the league (even though Gally ain't in the league yet) Hudon is 5"10, that's gigantic compared to the other three and even if that's not his real size he could turn 5"10 by the time he makes it to the NHL.

I can live with 5"10 players if they are surrounded by bigger players : Patch, Cole, Bourque, Eller, Bozon and Galchenyuk. But three dwarfs (Gio, DD, Gallagher) on the same top-9 is pretty scary. And the only big forwards coming ar either bottom 6 (Berger, Shultz) or long shots (Quailer, Avtsyn, Pribyl, Geoffrion).

But in the end DD, Gallagher and Hudon were either undrafted or Late round picks, so that's just a treat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad