LW/C Kieffer Bellows - Boston University, NCAA (2016, 19th, NYI)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Lots of Flyers fans wanted Hextall to take him at 18.

But it's hard to argue against getting both Rubstov and Leberge instead.

Still like Bellows though!

Yep. I was pumped when Bellows was available when it was the Flyers time to pick. Then when the trade was made I was skeptical. When we ended up with Rubstov and Laberge I was thrilled!

Still really like Bellows though. Shocked Minnesota passed him up.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Slower start statistically than I expected but he's still only a true freshman, can anyone comment on how he has looked?

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I've seen him play a few times live and he's struggled a bit. To me he's trying to do too much too often, not making simple plays and literally shooting from everywhere which can be a good thing with his shot but not when it's directly into a shin pad every other shot.

He's been on three different lines which probably doesn't help. Quinn might be trying to find something to gel but with Keller out the lines are not nearly as strong for BU. Without Keller BU's lack of depth is exposed. They loaded the top line with JFK, Harper, and Greenway when Keller is out of the lineup, leaving Bellows to play with average line mates.

He's aggressive which is evident in his 26 PIM, has a great motor and good skating ability, and an excellent shot. Wouldn't get too carried away with production just yet, I would wait until Keller is back to see how he plays consistently with JFK or Keller as his center.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Tough year for this guy.

He'll be fine. BU is relatively stacked. It took Bellows half a season to sort out his 200 foot game. He still has some work to do, but as a true freshman, he isn't a liability. As for his offensive game, it will definitely come. He gets the chances, just needs to play himself into the top line. He'll likely play with Harper next year. Watch his numbers spike then.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Does anyone know what happened to this guy? At this time last year he was still at least in the conversation with Connor, Boeser, and White. Now it seems he's regressed?

GetThePuckOuttaHere*

Feb 23, 2017
Does anyone know what happened to this guy? At this time last year he was still at least in the conversation with Connor, Boeser, and White. Now it seems he's regressed?

Haven't seen him much, so I won't say much, but he has a pretty brutal year. Definitely has the physical tools, but it looks as though he needs an elite centre to be any good. Way too early to tell for sure, though, but in a redraft he wouldn't even be sniffing the first round as of now.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
I have full belief he'll turn it around next year, but I can't help but chuckle at the fact that Keller and Bellows are "better" yet Anderson completely outproduced and outplayed Bellows in every facet this year.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
How was his year?

Someone on the isles board said there were Rumors of him maybe leaving the NCAA and joining the Winterhawks of the WHL.

Personally I don't see it. I think another year in the NCAA will do him good. The team is losing a few key players which should give Bellows more of an opportunity.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That would match his MO. He's always been one to jump from one organization/league to another.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Not sure, but I thought he was awful at the WJHC, despite a couple of goals in the final game. Has tunnel vision with the puck and is hard to play with as a result.

That's what I saw in his pre-draft year and some of his following attributed that to having a goal scorer's mindset.

I personally disagreed with that rationale, but here we are.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Not sure, but I thought he was awful at the WJHC, despite a couple of goals in the final game. Has tunnel vision with the puck and is hard to play with as a result.

He's definitely a better player when he doesn't have to carry the puck. He can make some nice plays off the cycle and obviously has a cannon of a shot, but he has a hard time keeping his head up while moving his feet. Because of that, I'd say he's more suited to being a complimentary scorer who can create space on the forecheck, certainly not a play driver. I thought he was much better at the U18s when he played that complimentary role with Keller. The bigger concern with him is his foot speed IMO, which is critical in today's league for guys who are relied upon to get in on the forecheck.

I think he's for sure got top 6 upside, but wouldn't be shocked if he ends up in more of a bottom 6 role, maybe getting some time as a trigger man on the PP. I like his physical play but his foot speed leaves much to be desired. Luckily, that's a skill that can improve with hard work.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I won't lie as an Islanders fan I would say I am mildly disappointed with his stats in college. All that being said if he can show good improvement next season my fears will be easily removed.

Bellows last season might have been better off going to a different university where he would have gotten more playing time. With alot of guys leaving Boston University though next season he might get a better shot to get icetime

KeziaTML

Apr 29, 2010
Calgary, AB
I mean. He is 18 years old playing against grown men. He didn't put up amazing numbers but I think you guys are going too far in the opposite direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad