LW/C Kieffer Bellows - Boston University, NCAA (2016, 19th, NYI)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I also do not see Bellows sticking around long in college.

One and done in my opinion.

Teams will like that if they know he has a desire to move on pretty quickly.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Absolutely. Not likely to be sticking around to complete a Biochem degree.

amack081

Nov 1, 2015
For a team like the Wild, who need a young potential first line C and top 6 talent, it would be a tough choice between the two. Bellows would be the more certAin choice, as he is a MN native, not known to be academically inclined, is already strong and should be strong enough for the NHL in a year or two. Unfortunately, he is a Wing, not a C.

Rubtsov sounds like he is a true C, with an all round game, and good enough that he projects to be a #2C at least. He also has good size and strength. Question is, how motivated is he to play in the NHL, and in MN in particular? The Wild have no Russians on the team, though Kaprisov was drafted last year, and looks like he might come over in a year or two, right around the time that Rubtsov would ( hopefully) be coming over.

It would be great to see another year out of both of them before deciding. Bellows game is somewhat based around dominating other players physically. Will he continue to grow and gain strength, allowing him to do the same in the NHL? Will he be fast enough to get to scoring spots?

Both these players are very appealing. Tough choice.

Those two players are certainly in the realm of possibilities.

I would also add that one of McLeod, Jost and Brown could be on the board for Minny at 15 (i.e it just takes a team above Minny to like a defensemen like McAvoy or Fabbro).

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Those two players are certainly in the realm of possibilities.

I would also add that one of McLeod, Jost and Brown could be on the board for Minny at 15 (i.e it just takes a team above Minny to like a defensemen like McAvoy or Fabbro).

I would be surprised if Jost is still around. I have no idea in what order, or when, the Dmen will be taken in this draft. It could be that once one is taken, there will be a run on them. There is definitely a shortage of top 4 Dmen in the NHL, but they take longer to develop, so i suspect that GM's would rather draft Dmen with later picks, unless there is a can't miss prospect.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I would be surprised if Jost is still around. I have no idea in what order, or when, the Dmen will be taken in this draft. It could be that once one is taken, there will be a run on them. There is definitely a shortage of top 4 Dmen in the NHL, but they take longer to develop, so i suspect that GM's would rather draft Dmen with later picks, unless there is a can't miss prospect.

Hard to say.. After the top guys go. Teams may be really high on a Defenseman and do not want to pass on them. There are a few of them that could be high on teams' lists. Quality D in the system is never bad.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
% chance available with the penguins 1st?
Chance if Pens go out this round, don't see him slipping if we are picking between 27-30.

I don't follow college hockey too heavily outside of watching the frozen four when its on and the occasional Big 10 game or whatever TSN picks up. But where does this BU class rate in regards to recent classes? If it sticks together it looks very stacked. With 3 to 4 first round picks, including arguably the best college bound player (I'd say its between Jost and Keller). Has any other program pulled in a class like this recently?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Skating used to be a weak point, but it seems to have improved a lot. So, I'd say it's effective, but not a strong point. IQ is good because he knows what he is, and what his game is. There is enough creativity that he can mesh with skilled players, but he is more of a linear bruiser with a very good shot- a power forward, in other words. The question I have is whether his physicality will transfer to the NHL. I THINK it will... He will probably grow another inch and put on another 10-15 lbs. in the next couple of years.

Nino Neideritter might be a good comparison for him? Decent speed, really good shot, good size and some edginess to his game.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Skating used to be a weak point, but it seems to have improved a lot. So, I'd say it's effective, but not a strong point. IQ is good because he knows what he is, and what his game is. There is enough creativity that he can mesh with skilled players, but he is more of a linear bruiser with a very good shot- a power forward, in other words. The question I have is whether his physicality will transfer to the NHL. I THINK it will... He will probably grow another inch and put on another 10-15 lbs. in the next couple of years.

Nino Neideritter might be a good comparison for him? Decent speed, really good shot, good size and some edginess to his game.

I see more of a Blake Wheeler type guy

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
So hes not the fastest skater, but has an absolutely lethal shot and plays strong physically. Any better comparison than El Nino and Wheeler?

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Bellows for me. More upsides, higher ceiling.

Hummm not true for me.. I have Bellows 14th on my list, but Kunin has such a better upside and ceiling. Kiefer has just more chance to reach his top upside than him... Thats why I put him in front

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad