LW/C Kieffer Bellows - Boston University, NCAA (2016, 19th, NYI)

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The Draft Analyst: Keller and Bellows tearing it up

Could either player be classified as a prospect with franchise-changing potential? In a draft that we consider both Keller and Bellows to be in the upper tier of a somewhat top heavy pool of amateurs, the possibility exists. Keller, who stands 5’10 and weighs close to 170 pounds but likes to involve himself in corner play, consistently displays game-changing skills, even against older and physically mature defenders from the college ranks. Bellows is a bit sturdier with a well-built 5’11, 200 pound-frame he uses to win puck battles and tire out opponents. Their weaving and dipsy-doodling inside the opposing zone, reminiscent of what you’d expect to see from seasoned NHL’ers, has a dizzying effect on their peers. Keller is a magician within tight quarters, searching for second and third options when his first look is covered. Bellows will hammer away at enemy defenders with punishing hits while simultaneously controlling the puck and finding the open man.

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/prospects/opinion-012516/

Love what Bellows can bring -- power, finesse, tenacity...I don't think he stays at BU long. Might be a one-and-done, then off to the AHL.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I don't have the luck to see Bellows play live but from what i saw in video i am amazed by his skillset.

His shot is hard and quick. He lay the big hit. He is tenacious and dynamic wow.

Anyone who know him better than me can answer some question?

Think he can go top 10?? You guys think he can play in the NHL in 1, maybe 2 seasons? (Like Larkin, Connor probably)?? What are the knocks against him??

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I don't have the luck to see Bellows play live but from what i saw in video i am amazed by his skillset.

His shot is hard and quick. He lay the big hit. He is tenacious and dynamic wow.

Anyone who know him better than me can answer some question?

Think he can go top 10?? You guys think he can play in the NHL in 1, maybe 2 seasons? (Like Larkin, Connor probably)?? What are the knocks against him??

He can go top 10 he may slip just out though, for sure top 15. Yes he can I can see him being one and straight to NHL or one year college one year AHL then NHL. I think he plays two years max in college. Only knocks against him are intensity and compete level at times he may look bored, might not be a factor when he faces competition that challenges him enough.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He can go top 10 he may slip just out though, for sure top 15. Yes he can I can see him being one and straight to NHL or one year college one year AHL then NHL. I think he plays two years max in college. Only knocks against him are intensity and compete level at times he may look bored, might not be a factor when he faces competition that challenges him enough.

people have said his skating isn't that great and my arguments to that are well he is on a line with Keller so don't base it off him not keeping up with that buzzsaw.

I think Bellows has legit NHL top line talent. He plays the game big, shoots hard, isn't afraid of traffic but isn't getting the hype like Keller is.

Top 10 isn't out of the question as anyone knows players ranked from 8-18 always shift around, but I would be pretty certain he goes top 15 as he is in the top 3 pure goal scorers for this draft with his frame and ability to play rough.

I think he will be a better pro than an amateur and in 2 years should be close to the show. Great bloodlines, very smart player, just needs to continue working hard and the sky is the limit for the young man.

u18's here we come!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd love to get that shot in the Avs pipeline. This kid has 30+ goal potential just from his ability to snipe the puck; nevermind his physical game and nose for dirty goals. Hopefully teams place too much emphasis on him playing with Keller and let him slip a bit.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Is Bellows a winger or Center? This thread title says center but anything I read about him seems to point to him playing wing

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Bellows is most certainly better suited as a shooter from the flank. He’s built like a Mack truck and plays with fire, using tremendous athleticism and work ethic to maintain his compete level, even during extended shifts. He’s extremely difficult to move off the puck, and he’s proven to be a load to handle for some of the NCAA’s bigger defensemen.

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/prospects/kieffer-bellows/

The NTDP isn't as star-studded like last year's squad, so it enabled Keller and Bellows to really stand out. Bellows has been a star at every level, and he developed some serious chemistry with Keller almost immediately. Going to college may be a personal dream, but IMO he would obliterate the CHL (as in 50+ goals) if he chose to go that route.

Strong yet often overlooked candidate for the top-10.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I've watched him the last couple games at the U18. He's a bull that hits everything and scores as well. If the Devil don't take a center McLeod, Keller or Jost, I would be delighted for them to draft Bellows. He looks like a future 30 goal man who finishes his checks.

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
Just curious, why is this player getting so little hype? Seems like he could be this year's Boeser.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
For a team like the Wild, who need a young potential first line C and top 6 talent, it would be a tough choice between the two. Bellows would be the more certAin choice, as he is a MN native, not known to be academically inclined, is already strong and should be strong enough for the NHL in a year or two. Unfortunately, he is a Wing, not a C.

Rubtsov sounds like he is a true C, with an all round game, and good enough that he projects to be a #2C at least. He also has good size and strength. Question is, how motivated is he to play in the NHL, and in MN in particular? The Wild have no Russians on the team, though Kaprisov was drafted last year, and looks like he might come over in a year or two, right around the time that Rubtsov would ( hopefully) be coming over.

It would be great to see another year out of both of them before deciding. Bellows game is somewhat based around dominating other players physically. Will he continue to grow and gain strength, allowing him to do the same in the NHL? Will he be fast enough to get to scoring spots?

Both these players are very appealing. Tough choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00