LW/C Kieffer Bellows - Boston University, NCAA (2016, 19th, NYI)

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
USHL tweeted: Forward @BellowsKieffer of the @sfstampede has scored the most goals by a 16-year-old in #USHL Tier 1 era pic.twitter.com/0UUVm4yKpI

Bellow scored his 30th this week and is just two behind the league leader, just one behind another BU commit, Robert Carpenter.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
HF article on Bellows
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...ow-stampedes-bellows-taking-route-pro-career/
“I’ve always dreamed of playing college hockey, and I grew up watching the Gophers,†Bellow admitted.

But the University of Minnesota didn’t make the cut. Neither did the WHL’s Portland Winterhawks, who chose Bellow in the seventh round of the 2013 WHL Bantam Draft. Instead, Bellows committed to Boston University for the 2016-17 season.

“I was lucky enough to make the team here, and it has been a privilege to play for Coach Eades,†said Bellows. “As soon as I stepped on Boston’s campus, I fell in love with it. I love the style of Coach Quinn, he’s one of those coaches who will sit down with you and focus on every single guy.â

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Surprised how little talk there is of this guy. Finished the season with 52 points in 58 games and had 12 points (9 goals!) in 12 playoff games while winning Clark Cup and being named Rookie of the Year. Had 33 goals which was good for 5th in the league but was also only 2 goals behind leader Brock Boeser who had 35 and 1 behind the other top prospect Kyle Connor.

Very impressive stuff, and that's just stats. Watching this highlight video of his season he looks really special. Should be a legit top10, maybe even top5 guy in next years draft, no?

Speed, skill, a sick release and decent size...Oh and apparently he can hit too. Kid looks like a game-breaker.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
One of the youngest players in the USHL, his 33 goals set a league record for most by a 16 year old since USHL went Tier 1. Had a slow start with 4 goals in first 19 games, then exploded for 29 in the next 39 games. He and Clayton Keller should be a dynamic duo for BU arriving in 2016.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Remember whwn his dad was talked about in terms of being the next Wayne Gretzky. I'm sure that he's pretty proud of his son.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
One of the youngest players in the USHL, his 33 goals set a league record for most by a 16 year old since USHL went Tier 1. Had a slow start with 4 goals in first 19 games, then exploded for 29 in the next 39 games. He and Clayton Keller should be a dynamic duo for BU arriving in 2016.

If he keeps up this pace I wouldn't rule out him making the NHL straight out of the draft. He looks close to being ready in terms of physique already IMO.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Should be interesting to see if he's willing to leave Sioux Falls to join the NTDP U18 team. I would imagine he'll be getting an offer to join immediately.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
Should be interesting to see if he's willing to leave Sioux Falls to join the NTDP U18 team. I would imagine he'll be getting an offer to join immediately.

Having just won the Clark Cup and with Stampede coach Eades now in Fargo, stars seem aligned for Bellows to take a step that would allow him to challenge himself against international and college teams.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
Any chance he accelerates and joins BU next year?

I would greatly doubt it for several reasons:
-His age, doesn't turn 17 until next week.
-It's pretty late to start accelerating to complete a senior year.
-BU already has five forwards in its recruit class and only loses three from last season's team.

A season with the U18s, if he's asked to fill Jones' slot, would be huge for his further development, preparing him to be an impact player at BU in '16-'17.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Bellows/USAH just announced he's joined the NTDP U18 squad. Huge addition for the team.

Hopefully he still wants to, and USAH will still let him, play for the Ivan Hlinka squad. They can't afford to lose him.

Last edited:

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
They usually do fine in the Ivan Hlinka without the NTDP players, and now he is one.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
Bellows/USAH just announced he's joined the NTDP U18 squad. Huge addition for the team.

Hopefully he still wants to, and USAH will still let him, play for the Ivan Hlinka squad. They can't afford to lose him.

USA U18 coach Danton Cole must be giddy thinking about a first line of Kieffer Bellows-Clayton Keller and Joey Anderson for next season.

BU fans will be looking forward to the Terriers Oct. 16 exhibition game vs the U18 with a chance to see Keller, Bellows and Oettinger. And hopefully one more recruit by then.

Rekus

Dec 7, 2011
Bellows is such a goalscorer. Think he is going to shoot up the rankings pretty soon. In todays NHL you really need guys like that.

I completely agree. I can see the kid really rising into the top 5. He is goal scorer just like his dad. I saw his dad this weekend and shared my opinion with him about Keiffer going hugh in the draft. The dad went second overall. If Keiffer keeps scoring, he could go as high as his dad. I csn see him going higher than Chycrun.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Very little talk about him at all so far this season, how has he been doing?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
so little talk on this kid.

one of the best goal scorers in this draft, tearing up the USHL. Borderline top 10 pick right now, kid has size and skill, can play any way you want and has such a lethal shot...how is no one talking about him right now??

I hope he gets an invite to the WJC camp soon, he certainly has earned it.

easily one of my favs for this draft, so much to like here and those bloodlines!

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Bellows now has 20 goals in 25 games with six of the goals vs. NCAA teams. His latest: https://twitter.com/USHL/status/673319736256565250

Do he and Clayton Keller (50 points in 25 games) warrant spots on the Jr. National Team training camp roster?

I would hope so. If USA Hockey was actually committed to taking the 14 best forwards available, I have no doubt both would be there. Unfortunately, both of them will likely be passed over for guys like Scott Eansor for a "grind line".

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Any regular USNTDP watchers around here?

How would you compare Bellows and Keller? Keller is putting up the better stats but Bellows has a size advantage. Boston University fans are going to be happy getting both next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad