Tribute Luke Schenn Appreciation Thread

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Think anything less than $2 million that went to Justin Holl will be a home run. A little more is not the end of the world.

I loved your previous point about why is Toronto always screwed?

In 2019-20 TB signs him to $700k and they win the Cup and he hoist the trophy,
in 2020-21 TB re-signs him to $800k and they again with the Cup and Luke hoists it,
In 2022.. Vancouver signs him as UFA for 2 years at $850k per.

In fact from 2016 until today the most Luke ever earned in a season was 1.2 mil AAV many years ago ,back when Matthews was being drafted.

Now much older Schenn about to turn 34, anything less than $2 mil per is a win for Toronto. His highest contract in the past 7 years will be his last one, because its the Leafs. :)

1686335498365.png

PS: I love me some Luke Schenn, and I can even bring out my old Kelowna Rockets jersey of his in support. :wg:

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
But he was better than Holl...

He is also a lot older and was not better than him in the regular season.

He could easily fall off of a cliff next year, especially since he is pretty much a #6/7 in terms of what he brings to the team individually. If his skating gets any worse, he is not even NHL caliber anymore.

I am not even entirely sold on him being in a top 6 spot next year without a ton of confidence in Timmins or someone being able to replace him if he falls apart, and a ton of confidence in Brodie/Liljegren as top 4 caliber defensemen.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I loved your previous point about why is Toronto always screwed?

In 2019-20 TB signs him to $700k and they win the Cup and he hoist the trophy,
in 2020-21 TB re-signs him to $800k and they again with the Cup and Luke hoists it,
In 2022.. Vancouver signs him as UFA for 2 years at $850k per.

In fact from 2016 until today the most Luke ever earned in a season was 1.2 mil AAV many years ago ,back when Matthews was being drafted.

Now much older Schenn about to turn 34, anything less than $2 mil per is a win for Toronto. His highest contract in the past 7 years will be his last one, because its the Leafs. :)

View attachment 716545

PS: I love me some Luke Schenn, and I can even bring out my old Kelowna Rockets jersey of his in support. :wg:

Yeah ideally he comes in around Holl money. That’s a healthy raise on what he’s been making over the past number of years doing the same thing he’s done on the playoff “run” with the Leafs.

But he’s not a big ticket guy and a fan favorite. So it’s hard to quibble over a few hundred K when considering what the Leafs are spending on a non fan favorite like Matt Murray.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He is also a lot older and was not better than him in the regular season.

He could easily fall off of a cliff next year, especially since he is pretty much a #6/7 in terms of what he brings to the team individually. If his skating gets any worse, he is not even NHL caliber anymore.

I am not even entirely sold on him being in a top 6 spot next year without a ton of confidence in Timmins or someone being able to replace him if he falls apart, and a ton of confidence in Brodie/Liljegren as top 4 caliber defensemen.

Quite frankly he doesn't need to play in the top six all year, just need to keep him rested for the playoffs. If the Leafs have 7 good d - which they should have, they can do a continuous rotation.

If we're talking 1-2 mil aav there's ultimately little risk if he breaks down.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Give him 3-4 years where you can bury entire
Quite frankly he doesn't need to play in the top six all year, just need to keep him rested for the playoffs. If the Leafs have 7 good d - which they should have, they can do a continuous rotation.

If we're talking 1-2 mil aav there's ultimately little risk if he breaks down.

He's under 35, so anything that can be buried in the minors ... heck give him 5*1.25.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

The Toronto Maple Leafs are “not close” to agreeing to terms on a new contract with pending unrestricted free agent defenceman Luke Schenn, Vancouver hockey insider Rick Dhaliwal reported Friday.

Dhaliwal provided a status update on the former Canucks defender in conversation with co-host Don Taylor on Friday’s episode of the Donnie & Dhali show on CHEK TV in Vancouver.

“Luke Schenn and the Maple Leafs are not close, as I was told, to a contract,” Dhaliwal said. “Keep an eye on him if he hits free agency. Let’s see if it happens.”

Schenn, 33, has enjoyed a minor career renaissance over the past few seasons since winning back-to-back Stanley Cups with the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2020 and 2021.

He subsequently joined the Canucks for a second stint in 2021 (he had previously appeared in 18 games with the team in 2018–19) and re-established himself as being capable of handling significant minutes as an everyday NHL defender.

Moridin

Apr 8, 2007
If McCabe can get 4M a year, I don't see how Schenn should accept anything less than 2.5

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

There isn’t much movement, meanwhile, in a new deal to keep defenceman Luke Schenn a Leaf.

Donnie and Dhali, a West Coast TV sports program that has closely followed Schenn’s contractual path to and from the Vancouver Canucks, reported that term and a trade clause have hung up what were expected to be straightforward talks to bump his salary and sign a multi-year deal.

The 33-year-old Schenn came back to his Toronto draft team at playoff time in a vital role for someone making less than $1 million. But he also has ties to Western Canada should a return to the Leafs not work out.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I will sign Luke for 1.3mil/5yrs deal to lower the AVV. When he can't play anymore, drop him to minor and it should have very minimal affect to the cap.

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
Sign him for like 1.5-2m x 3 and be done with it. This soft team needs a heart and soul guy like him, especially in the playoffs. He’s a proven winner as well.

Reactions: fahad203

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
They need every penny for AM, and then MM will want the same

What a mess! Overpaid entitled stars who seem to be more concerned with indiviudal accomplishments. Few picks, Murray contract to get rid of, another player walking in Kerfoot, goalies not clear, D is slow - actually the whole team is pretty slow now.....

How to ruin a franchise for dummies

Step 1. Hire an inexperience GM
Step 2. Hire even more inexperience coach
Step 3. Let life take it's course

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Acciari and Schenn brought something we severely lacked
Will be a big loss if we lose both of those guys. Not just toughness and physicality, but both bunch of good guys and brings strong leadership

Dont' care for O'Reilly.
I did 4 or 5 years ago. Not now
How to ruin a franchise for dummies

Step 1. Hire an inexperience GM
Step 2. Hire even more inexperience coach
Step 3. Let life take it's course
And don't forget Shanny - who made all this happen
Wasted years on an arrogant, overly loyal, keep-everyone-comfy GM

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Elliotte Friedman spoke today on CHEK TV’s Donnie and Dhali show saying that he doesn’t believe the Toronto Maple Leafs and Luke Schenn are very close on a contract extension for the pending unrestricted free agent. Friedman went on to state that the Maple Leafs would love to have the 33-year-old back but are looking at a salary around league minimum while Schenn is looking to cash in on his best offensive season in over a decade after he tied a career high by putting up 22 points in 70 games. Schenn has been playing under six figure deals for the past five seasons and might be looking at his last chance to get a contract with an annual value above $1MM per season.

horner

May 22, 2007
They need every penny for AM, and then MM will want the same

What a mess! Overpaid entitled stars who seem to be more concerned with indiviudal accomplishments. Few picks, Murray contract to get rid of, another player walking in Kerfoot, goalies not clear, D is slow - actually the whole team is pretty slow now.....
Sad sad team he was a rock in the playoffs.
Minimum salary give me a break ..
Schenn go win a cup not here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad