Tribute Luke Schenn Appreciation Thread

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
[snip]

I just watched his postseason presser and the dude is just so f***ing cool. I wish he'd sign for another year at $1M but you can see the confidence in him. He knows he just played the best hockey of his life at 33, and he's getting 3X3M from someone. It probably wouldn't be wise if it was us, but we should seriously take a look at what it would take and if we can make it work for the team and the player. I just get the sense that he's a real culture guy and this is where he can be of the most use in that regard.

[snip]

I agree, he should be a priority to resign. Hopefully management sees the impact he had on Rielly. I think they can afford him at 3M, and if his play takes a tumble for the worst it's not a contract that will cripple the team. Like @Phion Keneuf said, give him Holl's money.

Give him Holl’s $$. He was clearly our 2nd best D in the playoffs.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

A rejuvenated Luke Schenn has made himself a hot commodity on the upcoming free agent market. The Leafs have made it crystal clear to him they want him back. The question is at what price ... One NHL executive said he wouldn’t be surprised to see his Schenn’s price tag come with a $2.5 million to $3 million average annual value on a three-year deal ...

Last edited:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Would Luke Schenn eye Vancouver if he’s not back with the Maple Leafs?

Donnie & Dhali: Luke Schenn when asked by Rick Dhaliwal on if he’d return to the Vancouver Canucks as a free agent this offseason.

** NHLRumors.com transcription

“Alright, here’s the million dollar question Luke. You’re a UFA. If you don’t sign in Toronto and if you hit July 1st, is Vancouver on your list of teams that you’d love to sign with?”

Schenn: I knew that question was coming. I was prepared for it coming into the call. I figured I’d be asked.

Like I’ve said. I’ve always enjoyed my time in Vancouver. Obviously, that’s why I signed there the second time, is because I enjoyed it that much the first time. Obviously, passionate fanbase. I’ve always been treated really fairly by the fanbase, by the media and by the organization.

I’ve got no idea. First of all, I’m sure they’ve got their own plans of what they need to accomplish. I think they’ve always talked about getting cap space and getting younger.

The right side they’ve got (Ethan) Bear and they traded for (Filip) Hronek. So, I’m, first of all, I loved my time in Toronto too. That’s who I’m under contract with for the next little bit, but looking back in my career, I definitely had some great memories in Vancouver and it’s always been a special place for me.

Being a Kelowna guy in the summer, following the Canucks. Being the team in B.C. where everyone follows, it’s been a special place but who the heck knows what their plans are?

Obviously, like I said, I really enjoyed things in Toronto and we’ll see where that shakes itself out first.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Bring him back...I'd like to see him erase more opponents...more grit and toughness in his left fist than the entire team combined!
It's been too long since we have seen a Leafs Dman consistently rub out opposing forwards. Have to believe the opposition is very aware when they're coming down the boards on Luke's side.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
He seemed way too positive about Toronto in that interview, did nobody tell him about the “confusion and hurt” rippling through the maple leafs in wake of Kyle Dubas’ dismissal?

I’d love to have him back. I think Schenn and Gio can still prove effective with reduced minutes and games.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Schenn credited Adam Oates with bringing him past what he believed what his expiration date...Is Oates available for a role here?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Schenn on his return to Toronto, if he's had conversation about re-signing and Panthers' playoff run - TSN.ca

Maple Leafs defenceman Luke Schenn joins us to chat about his free agency process, if he has had any conversations with the team yet, being back in Toronto and the fan reception, Panthers dominating the Canes and if that surprised him, what it was like to face a hot team like the Panthers and more.

Luke Schenn is one of the Maple Leafs free agents caught in the middle of management turmoil.

The defenceman, one unrestricted free agent the club will try its hardest to bring back this summer, indicated Friday the team’s sudden search for a general manager has made negotiations tricky.

“There were conversations towards the end of the year,” he told TSN 1050 radio. “And in the last week and a half, things have (unwound) on the Leafs side of things with what they’re dealing with.”

Kyle Dubas’s parting is also disruptive for other UFAs that include forwards Ryan O’Reilly, Alex Kerfoot, Michael Bunting, David Kampf, Noel Acciari and Zach Aston-Reese. But on defence, keeping Schenn as one of the team’s most physical members on the blueline and so effective in the most recent playoffs, should be a priority ahead of Justin Holl and Erik Gustafsson, who are also free as of July 1.

The 34-year-old Schenn was an $850,000 US cap hit for the Leafs when they acquired him from Vancouver.

“We’ll kind of wait and see,” Schenn said. “They have to sort through on their side and there’s probably lots of conversations and phone calls they’re having to get organized on the management side.”

Club president Brendan Shanahan still has Dubas’s assistant Brandon Pridham to at least talk numbers with the players and their reps, which includes a notable restricted free agent in goalie Ilya Samsonov.

Schenn is hopeful of progress.

“It was all positive, playing with Morgan Rielly (a fellow Westerner and first round pick of the Leafs), a great experience and a great opportunity at the end (of this season). It’s no secret how much I enjoyed my time. We’ll see how things shake out in the next few weeks.”

Last edited:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

LUKE SCHENN INTERVIEW | Leafs Morning Take - June 6th

The Leafs Nation

June 6, 2023

The two-time Stanley Cup champion and current Maple Leafs blue liner made his third all-time appearance on Leafs Morning Take with Nick Alberga and Jay Rosehill.
They talked about his season, getting a chance to play for Toronto again, and free agency.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

A rejuvenated Luke Schenn has made himself a hot commodity on the upcoming free agent market. The Leafs have made it crystal clear to him they want him back. The question is at what price ... One NHL executive said he wouldn’t be surprised to see his Schenn’s price tag come with a $2.5 million to $3 million average annual value on a three-year deal ...

I like how Luke Schenn won two Stanley Cups with Tampa and continued making league min. money but all it took was for a First Round Cup in Toronto and he's back on the gravy train.

He deserves it. I'd pay him in the Holl + range for sure.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'd appreciate it more if Luke Schenn was already re-signed.

Morgan and him as pairing works and where the only Leafs dman playable in the playoffs that didn't hurt the Leafs.

Luke Schenn was a +8 +/- and McCabe, Holl and Giordano all -7 +/- in 11 games, while Brodie a -3.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If he doesn’t want to take another shot at a Cup and sign with a contender, he’d be a good signing for the Leafs on a one year deal.

horner

May 22, 2007
I'd appreciate it more if Luke Schenn was already re-signed.

Morgan and him as pairing works and where the only Leafs dman playable in the playoffs that didn't hurt the Leafs.

Luke Schenn was a +8 +/- and McCabe, Holl and Giordano all -7 +/- in 11 games, while Brodie a -3.
It would be a leaf thing to not sign him ..
We need him on our d .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad