Confirmed with Link: Luke Richardson Hired as Assistant Coach

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
Couldn't see the vid.

Guessing the message is fans should stock up on paper bags this season?

Good luck, Luke. (Lucky Luke?) You'll need it.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Since clearly you have...perhaps you can give me a quick synopsis of what you're talking about and how it applies to what I wrote?

I have to "read up" on developmental psychology because I don't believe coaches make or break players....

Let's use a case study, you can explain it to me using real examples...

PK Subban played 1yr under Guy Boucher with the Hamilton Bulldogs...had an amazing year under Boucher, graduated to the NHL and has pretty much been a superstar Dman since.

Using what I presume are principles from developmental psychology you think would do wonders for me...

I'm lead to believe that Guy Boucher was responsible for PK Subban's metamorphosis into a superstar Dman, right?

Ok....

So how come he hasn't been able to re-create that in Ottawa with anyone else?

that's a very short-sighted and specious analogy.

that leadership, mentoring, teaching, coaching has an incredible impact on human performance is at this point undeniable. Which is not at all the same thing as saying that performance can or is only achieved because of those things.

the interplay is complex, to be sure.

ironically, the PK example, if anything, is a perfect example of the impact of teaching... his father is an unbelievable teacher/educator/leader. The success of his progeny is clearly directly tied to his (and his wife's) impact on development in their household.

no human being reaches adulthood performance without a multitude of influences and teachers... it's not a causal link that can be traced directly to one specific teacher/coach, nor will every individual exposed to the same teachers/coaches have the same ceiling.

but, in the end, to deny or diminish the impact of coaching on player development is to completely ignore the abundant evidence on display in every sport league around the world. The continuity of success that some coaches have is a direct testament to their superior ability as coaches/teachers/mentors. Which, again, is not to say that a talent like PK (or Crosby) can't thrive even under the guidance of a bad or mediocre coach....

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Let's just say that I'm a lot less suspicious when a unilingual anglophone is hired than when a "p'tit gars de chez nous" who may have nothing else going for him other than his francophone heritage and a personal relationship with the GM gets a job with this team.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
that's a very short-sighted and specious analogy.
Perhaps it's short-sighted and specious, specifically because the argument that coaches hold the future of any player in their hands, just as short-sighted and specious?

that leadership, mentoring, teaching, coaching has an incredible impact on human performance is at this point undeniable. Which is not at all the same thing as saying that performance can or is only achieved because of those things.

the interplay is complex, to be sure.
Which is exactly my point...but all too often, especially on this board, we tie development exclusively into the identity and ability of a coach, whether he's the AHL head coach, his assistant or some assistant in the NHL.

As you said, the interplay and much more complex and i've always maintained that...

ironically, the PK example, if anything, is a perfect example of the impact of teaching... his father is an unbelievable teacher/educator/leader. The success of his progeny is clearly directly tied to his (and his wife's) impact on development in their household.

no human being reaches adulthood performance without a multitude of influences and teachers... it's not a causal link that can be traced directly to one specific teacher/coach, nor will every individual exposed to the same teachers/coaches have the same ceiling.
Again, we're on the same page here...

but, in the end, to deny or diminish the impact of coaching on player development is to completely ignore the abundant evidence on display in every sport league around the world.
I haven't denied the impact...diminish it?

Sure I have done that, but how can you or I or anyone quantify just how much a coach can have an impact on a player? No one has the power to do that.

So again, I don't deny that coaching does have an impact...it would be stupid for me to say otherwise. How much though?

That much is up for debate.

The continuity of success that some coaches have is a direct testament to their superior ability as coaches/teachers/mentors. Which, again, is not to say that a talent like PK (or Crosby) can't thrive even under the guidance of a bad or mediocre coach....
Not to mention the quality of players they're mandated to coach.

Mike Babcock is by all accounts, recognized as the best head coach in the NHL...but his record with the leafs only improved as he was given more talent to work with.

When he coached in Detroit, with talented teams...he won games...when that talent left...so did the results.

Reactions: BeliveauFan4ever

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Perhaps it's short-sighted and specious, specifically because the argument that coaches hold the future of any player in their hands, just as short-sighted and specious?

Which is exactly my point...but all too often, especially on this board, we tie development exclusively into the identity and ability of a coach, whether he's the AHL head coach, his assistant or some assistant in the NHL.

As you said, the interplay and much more complex and i've always maintained that...

Again, we're on the same page here...

I haven't denied the impact...diminish it?

Sure I have done that, but how can you or I or anyone quantify just how much a coach can have an impact on a player? No one has the power to do that.

So again, I don't deny that coaching does have an impact...it would be stupid for me to say otherwise. How much though?

That much is up for debate.

Not to mention the quality of players they're mandated to coach.

Mike Babcock is by all accounts, recognized as the best head coach in the NHL...but his record with the leafs only improved as he was given more talent to work with.

When he coached in Detroit, with talented teams...he won games...when that talent left...so did the results.

(Nods at last sentence in particular)

-- and the fans.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Might as well hire a blind monkey, nothing can possibly help this d-core, with Weber gone Price will be thinking he is playing behind a peewee team

Reactions: lo striver

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Let's just say that I'm a lot less suspicious when a unilingual anglophone is hired than when a "p'tit gars de chez nous" who may have nothing else going for him other than his francophone heritage and a personal relationship with the GM gets a job with this team.

Hiring someone with nothing else going for him has not happened.

Probably not. Which explains why some people here are so happy about the hire and assume he is de facto better than Daigneault.

It's so obvious.

The irony is completely lost on some people but its no surprise to me.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Experienced, not French, and not a Foxhole friend (that we know of) so ok for now

Rest comes down to accountability

Reactions: Zorba

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Good move for the tank, hopefully he is instructed to make the Habs defense as impressive as the Islanders.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Luke Richardson.png

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Looks as fine as any hire and this time there's a lot more chances that Richardson is Julien's choice and not some foxholer...

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
He seems like more of the same. Another low offense defensive player that I didn't like as a player.

I'm not excited or disapointed in the hire. He'll likely do ok, but I'm not expecting any miracles. The Isles were dead last in GAs, but his teams are not exactly strangers to it. It happened in the AHL and he was bottom 10 more often than not.
He and JJD were not alike as players. JJD was actually a puck moving d-man who could skate.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Certainly haven't helped the situation at all either. Julien is a terrible coach, and Molson and Bergevin are so ****ing stupid to give him that contract without letting him coach even a single game.

Claude Julien has coached 1103 nhl games.
265 games with the habs.
Won 1 Stanley cup.

Reactions: Vachon23

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Claude Julien has coached 1103 nhl games.
265 games with the habs.
Won 1 Stanley cup.
Great. My point still stands. We gave him a stupidly long contract without letting him coach a single game for the Habs ever since he got fired a billion years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad