Confirmed with Link: Luke Richardson Hired as Assistant Coach

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
like that he has a ton of NHL experience and has coached before. Guess we'll see how he does as it's very important we get this right with the influx of young blueliners that either will be on the team starting this year or next with Mete, Juulsen, Brook, Fleury plus maybe he can help improve Lernout's game if he makes the team. Getting Reilly to be better in his own end would also be huge for the blueline.

Reactions: Rise from the Ashes

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
You have to wonder just how different things would have been if Robinson was hired, instead of Bergy's buddy JJD. I'm ok with Richardson, I wish they would just swing for the fences once in a while for a defensive coach, its so important. To have your kids look at a real legend or allstar back there, that would be inspiring.

Jul 6, 2016
Good signing. Nothing to write home about. An assistant-coach. That's it.

Only in Montreal are we spending so much energy writing about an assistant-coach.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

So Richardson still had 2 years left on his deal with the Islanders, but was granted permission by Lamoriello to talk with Habs when they showed interest in him.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Don't know him well, long career as defensiveD in the NHL, captain of a NHL team at some point, coaching experience in the NHL and head coach experience in the AHL, seems solid to me. The fact that we didn't settle for a french speaking coach by default makes me optimistic about him being a good signing.

Reactions: scrubadam

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
it isn't, Daigneault was a good coach in a terrible system.

"Great coach" with horrible results under two different head coaches?

Ya, he was probably a great coach. I'm sure he'll do great with his new team. Oh, wait...

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
The Islanders were horrific defensively. I know their defense and goaltending aren't good, but they shouldn't be allowing THAT many goals.
this was Doug Weights system

the head coach is why the islanders sucked even worse than they should have, cronin sucked too

Richardson was okay imo

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
lmao I know him and his daughters personally and he never knew Bergevin before. what a bunch of bull**** you are saying

I'm still waiting? Explain to me how they never knew each other before? Lets sort this out. You called me a BS'er, so prove me wrong. I'm not flaming, I want to hear your insider information , and how it is different from public knowledge.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
He seems like more of the same. Another low offense defensive player that I didn't like as a player.

I'm not excited or disapointed in the hire. He'll likely do ok, but I'm not expecting any miracles. The Isles were dead last in GAs, but his teams are not exactly strangers to it. It happened in the AHL and he was bottom 10 more often than not.

MolleSon

May 21, 2018
A change was necessary for sure... But to be honest, Mr Richardson has a h... of a job in front of him... When your 1st pair for at least half season is Mete-Petry and you have guys like Benn, Schlmeko, Alzner to work with, no matter what, you're in for a bumpy ride...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Maybe we have a great GM in a terrible system?

:huh:

Going once. Going twice...

Not sold!!!

Bergie says ...

2doofz.gif

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It's likely a larger systemic issue...rather than the ability of the assistant coach responsible for deciding which Dmen goes out on the ice.
What's the point of an assistant coach if it's all the players fault? He definitely had something to do with that horrific defense there, but it's not entirely his fault either.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What's the point of an assistant coach if it's all the players fault? He definitely had something to do with that horrific defense there, but it's not entirely his fault either.
That's all I was saying...

As for what the point of an assistant coach...well assistant coaches usually run the special teams units and/or take care of deciding which D-pair is on the ice. They're also often the buffer between the players and the coach...

Their role in the development of player's...I don't know, I don't think it's as much as many think.

But some seem convinced that it's the key to a player reaching his potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Don't know enough about him to offer an informed opinion. Hopefully he was a Julien selection. For the rest, I'll wait and see how he does. Good luck to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad