Confirmed with Link: Luke Richardson Hired as Assistant Coach

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
lol @ the people who dont think this is a good hire. It's fine to have a personal opinion but that doesnt mean its an informed one. Most people saying that, probably never heard of him in the first place.

Richardson is a great hire. Good pedigree and varied experience. Will be great with the younger players from having coached the AHL extremely well and will have the respect from the veterans from having coached NHL teams and Team Canada.Teaming with Ducharme, will bring the best out of our players.

An assistant coach,coaches the system the head coach decides to play. So if Julien wants to play a zone coverage, Luke will do his best to coach that. Just because a team doesnt do well defensively,it doesnt automatically mean the ass. coach sucks. It's all about what small details that coach can bring in the chosen system. Daignault probably became "stale" so to be speak, and didnt have any fresh ideas. Also, hearing the same voice year in and year out, can be a stagnating problem in itself.

I for one, really am happy with the coaches put in place for this season, both in the AHL and NHL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
it isn't, Daigneault was a good coach in a terrible system.

Not sure I agree. JJD was our defensive coach and benifited from MT coaching strategy where it was a defense first in front of one of the best NHL goalies. Dump pucks out or get it out at whatever costs. I like that we moved on from JJD. Was it his fault last year and will Richardson be better? Not sure but a change was needed. We need someone who fits under what Julien is trying to do and I suspect this is Julien's hire. Change in this area is a good thing. New guy with a fresh start.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My problem with JJD was it appeared to be way to passive. I like the Muller types. When they speak, you listen. Not sure if Richardson is that type but he has to be more vocal vs JJD.. right or wrong?

Anybody know if Richardson can speak French? Not like this matters right? :sarcasm:

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Different type of player. Richardson was one of the best open ice body checkers in the history of the game. Extremely tough. Scary.
Bergevin? No one was afraid of him on the ice.

ahh. MB's ego type of guy! I say this is what MB sees when he looks into a mirror.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
lmao I know him and his daughters personally and he never knew Bergevin before. what a bunch of bull**** you are saying

You gotta be kidding, right? They grew up together, they played minor hockey together in Montreal. Do you want to change your story yet? Go ask your 'friend', because you obviously do not know him at all. Marc Bergevin and Jean-Jacques Daigneault played together in the late 1970s for the Ville-Émard Hurricanes.

God I love busting the liars here, lol. What else you got?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The Islanders were horrific defensively. I know their defense and goaltending aren't good, but they shouldn't be allowing THAT many goals.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Good pedigree. Would have prefered Kitchen but he's fine. Can't wait to see those guys trying to make miracles with what they have.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The Islanders were horrific defensively. I know their defense and goaltending aren't good, but they shouldn't be allowing THAT many goals.
When your team is last for GA...I think it's safe to say that your issues extend beyond the assistant coach in charge of running the Dmen.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
When your team is last for GA...I think it's safe to say that your issues extend beyond the assistant coach in charge of running the Dmen.
When the difference is that substantial, its not only the players fault. I don't mind this hire, and I'll wait before judging.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
When the difference is that substantial, its not only the players fault. I don't mind this hire, and I'll wait before judging.
It's likely a larger systemic issue...rather than the ability of the assistant coach responsible for deciding which Dmen goes out on the ice.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Yet you'd think coaches are entirely responsible for whether or not a player makes it, if you read posts here.

great coaches get the most out of their players and adapt to their talent, and put them in a position to succeed. At that point, it's on the player, but if a coach uses a guy wrong and a player doesn't know their role on the team (eller), then that's an issue.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
great coaches get the most out of their players and adapt to their talent, and put them in a position to succeed. At that point, it's on the player, but if a coach uses a guy wrong and a player doesn't know their role on the team (eller), then that's an issue.
I didn't say the coach doesn't have a role to play...he does.

I just don't think it's to the extent most think.

Reactions: jaffy27

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You should read up on developmental psychology, it would do wonders.
Since clearly you have...perhaps you can give me a quick synopsis of what you're talking about and how it applies to what I wrote?

I have to "read up" on developmental psychology because I don't believe coaches make or break players....

Let's use a case study, you can explain it to me using real examples...

PK Subban played 1yr under Guy Boucher with the Hamilton Bulldogs...had an amazing year under Boucher, graduated to the NHL and has pretty much been a superstar Dman since.

Using what I presume are principles from developmental psychology you think would do wonders for me...

I'm lead to believe that Guy Boucher was responsible for PK Subban's metamorphosis into a superstar Dman, right?

Ok....

So how come he hasn't been able to re-create that in Ottawa with anyone else?

Reactions: jaffy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad