Confirmed with Link: Luke Richardson Hired as Assistant Coach

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Coached defense for the Islanders last season... anyone remember how many goals they allowed?

Jokes aside he has a decent resume, seems like the same type of NHL player that Bergie was

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Coached defense for the Islanders last season... anyone remember how many goals they allowed?

Jokes aside he has a decent resume, seems like the same type of NHL player that Bergie was

Worse defense in the league, actually.
Nick Leddy was -42... ?!?!?!
(And that's on a -27 team, with PP/PK removed, but not OT/SO/EN).

They had a great PP but an awful PK.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
...Wasn't he EXTREMELY well-liked in Ottawa?

He was, very much so. Had gone through some tragedy while he was with the organization. Great success in the AHL as a Head Coach. I had no idea he was with the Isles.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
He was, very much so. Decided to take some time off work after the suicide of his daughter. Terrible story. I had no idea he was already back in the NHL and with the Isles.

Sometimes, going to work is a reason to go forward, some kind of salvation...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
3.53 GAA... 31st in the league and it isn't close. Hopefully this isn't a hire for the tank

TBH, the Isles were pretty much a run n' gun team last season. That tends to NOT help the defensive numbers, and that decision (to run a very offensive-style) is mostly decided by the head coach.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
He's not a bad candidate per se but his resume isn't that impressive either: Borowiecki, Wideman, Wiercioch, Claesson, Ceci, Cowen. All guys that didn't really turn into success stories (although Cowen suffered injuries). We will see but I'm curious about his coaching philosophy.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He's not a bad candidate per se but his resume isn't that impressive either: Borowiecki, Wideman, Wiercioch, Claesson, Ceci, Cowen. All guys that didn't really turn into success stories (although Cowen suffered injuries). We will see but I'm curious about his coaching philosophy.

Ummm, Erik Karlsson...

You’re naming guys that didn’t have much to work with. Like polishing turds.

Reactions: cphabs

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014
Great hire. This guy has total respect from the players and everyone he's around. This will help us going into the future with our young players.

davey999

Mar 9, 2004

Different type of player. Richardson was one of the best open ice body checkers in the history of the game. Extremely tough. Scary.
Bergevin? No one was afraid of him on the ice.

Reactions: Kobe Armstrong

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
it isn't, Daigneault was a good coach in a terrible system.

Look at Luke’s track record. Huge amounts of success as a Head Coach in the AHL, experience as an assistant in the NHL. JJ was what, an assistant coach in the ECHL before? There’s no comparison.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Ummm, Erik Karlsson...

You’re naming guys that didn’t have much to work with. Like polishing turds.
You can argue whether or not Karlsson became a more complete player after Richardson went to the AHL (although it could be a result of experience too). We blast JDD and Sly but reverse the situation and we could be arguing the same thing. The guys I listed had upside at some point and I'm 90% sure they were drafted at quality spots.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->