Confirmed with Link: Luke Richardson Hired as Assistant Coach

Jul 6, 2016
So why did they let Bouchard leave the bubble? I thought he was supposed to stick around? I wonder if they would've turned to him instead?

Maybe Bouchard had to step out of the bubble to get interviews with other organizations. ???

Jul 6, 2016
Winning and playing so well under an assistant coach means clearly to me that the players are the ones responsible of their destiny. 1986 Habs won despite Perron. When vets players take the lead - and Habs have many of those right now - a team can go very far. Good for Richardson. Same would have happened with Ducharme.

Reactions: cphabs

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
See. It CAN be done! I bet someone in Quebec will complain if it happens.

I bet out of 9 millions persons it could be 100 that complain .....still wouldnt be significant anyway, just tought it was a poor comment with the wrong timing also let's not act like the guy's are not playing the style of game asked by DD, that being said i think Richardson is doing an amazing job right now.

If i'll do the same kind of comment relative to a French coach in DD threads i would be crucified around here that's for sure

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I bet out of 9 millions persons it could be 100 that complain .....still wouldnt be significant anyway, just tought it was a poor comment with the wrong timing also let's not act like the guy's are not playing the style of game asked by DD, that being said i think Richardson is doing an amazing job right now.

If i'll do the same kind of comment relative to a French coach in DD threads i would be crucified around here that's for sure
Well, the minority seem to be pretty vocal about crap like this. I could see someone saying something.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
You know what people care about? The Habs winning. That’s it, that’s all. I wouldn’t care if the coach only used those clicking sounds, as long as they were winning. Let’s just enjoy this team without getting into petty language arguments.

As far as Richardson goes, he’s done a terrific job, his game management has been stellar. He’s saying and doing all the right things, he deserves a lot of credit. Can’t be easy just to take over the ship mid series.

neopreneur

Sponsor
Jul 12, 2004
Aylmer, Qc
I have no idea if Richardson is doing a great job or not; I'm not a coaching expert. What I know is that he seems incredibly smart and well spoken, which is a breath of fresh air.

Richardson has the luxury of being at ease with the media etc because he's only stepping up temporarily. There's no extra pressure at all (e.g. media will go easy on him if we lose, his job isn't in jeopardy, ...), and there's no new system to sell/implement so really he's flying on autopilot given the high level of play delivered by our skaters.
He's executing on DD's orders, plus we have the benefit of having awesome vets to lead the team. He was/is primarily responsible for the D... we're basically rolling w/ 4 D atm, which probably require very little in-game management at this point. Maybe I'm wrong, but rolling 4D seems to be harder on the D themselves than the coaches.

I would prefer we get DD back sooner than later though. DD adjusted well in the playoffs, and deserves to steer this squad and soak in the success at ice level.

In the meantime, I like Luke's calm presence and he seems like a good fit to hold the fort until DD (hopefully) returns!

Reactions: dinodebino

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Well, the minority seem to be pretty vocal about crap like this. I could see someone saying something.

Ya pretty much this......could say the same about other crap in every sphere of society minority that are not happy with something are always pretty vocal, dont have too look very far .......we see it here everyday

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Listening to Luke Richardson speak after the Game 5 win in Vegas was very assuring and impressive.

Richardson has it all as a coach.

Attitude, NHL experience (21 years!), calmness, mental toughness... and a commanding presence

The team in great great hands. :thumbu:
I hope he gets an opportunity soon to become an NHL head coach

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Listening to Luke Richardson speak after the Game 5 win in Vegas was very assuring and impressive.

Attitude, NHL experience (21 years!), calmness, mental toughness... and a commanding presence

You can see why he ended up being a captain as well, he probably had a heck of a gravitas in the locker room. The type where he walks in and all the other players automatically sit up a little straighter and mind their Ps and Qs a bit more, just because he's there .

Last edited:
Reactions: Born in 1909

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

Small sample but really liking what I hear and see as well. Would have to see how he handles adversity to get a better appreciation of his overall style.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Winning and playing so well under an assistant coach means clearly to me that the players are the ones responsible of their destiny. 1986 Habs won despite Perron. When vets players take the lead - and Habs have many of those right now - a team can go very far. Good for Richardson. Same would have happened with Ducharme.

The players have been listening to Julien and then Ducharme for a while now. They know what they got to do. It's the little adjustments in game and from game to game is what's required at this stage.

Ducharme has a similar system to Julien but he altered a few areas. Players know what's going on. Richardson just has to ensure they don't steer off the road or go back to old habits.

Reactions: Born in 1909

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
Richardson looks like a guy that commands respect.He is 6'4 and about 220 with a square jaw and steely gaze. He played tough as well and seems like the type of guy you don't want to mess with. Also comes across as very knowledgeable and articulate. Solid coaching material.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
I have no idea if Richardson is doing a great job or not; I'm not a coaching expert. What I know is that he seems incredibly smart and well spoken, which is a breath of fresh air.

Richardson has the luxury of being at ease with the media etc because he's only stepping up temporarily. There's no extra pressure at all (e.g. media will go easy on him if we lose, his job isn't in jeopardy, ...), and there's no new system to sell/implement so really he's flying on autopilot given the high level of play delivered by our skaters.
He's executing on DD's orders, plus we have the benefit of having awesome vets to lead the team. He was/is primarily responsible for the D... we're basically rolling w/ 4 D atm, which probably require very little in-game management at this point. Maybe I'm wrong, but rolling 4D seems to be harder on the D themselves than the coaches.

I would prefer we get DD back sooner than later though. DD adjusted well in the playoffs, and deserves to steer this squad and soak in the success at ice level.

In the meantime, I like Luke's calm presence and he seems like a good fit to hold the fort until DD (hopefully) returns!

Given the family tragedy he endured, I doubt facing the media is a big deal for him.

Reactions: Walrus26 and Max2

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Richardson looks like a guy that commands respect.He is 6'4 and about 220 with a square jaw and steely gaze. He played tough as well and seems like the type of guy you don't want to mess with. Also comes across as very knowledgeable and articulate. Solid coaching material.

Might see him doing National Car Rental
commercials again soon. ;)

630x355.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Max2

ToNedOuT

Apr 22, 2004
Victoria BC
Certainly glad the Habs have retained both Claude Julien & Kirk Muller as veteran coaches, whose abilities to blend talents of all ages into cohesive units, is well known in the NHL level management types. Adding Richardson & Ducharme can only enhance those abilities IMHO!!!...:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu: Having Joel Bouchard & Alex Burrows to lead our prospects in Laval another great alliance I believe. Now for the Victoriaville ECHL franchise's coaching/developing, no lesser need for astute young coaches with progressive idea's there. Power Skating coaches that will work 24/7 with each prospect, ensuring their maximum benefit is reached. Money talks easing the everyday monotonous distractions is a paramount concern. Giving these people their entire focus to becoming the best at using the talent they are blessed with. Focus should always be upon their particular talents and playing the simple game, unless of course their talents are being creative, then the focus should be creating situations whereby their linemates can cover any defensive flaws that are apparent.
Habs coaches will most certainly know these things, that's why these individuals have been hired, to hone their charges abilities into the system whilst forming chemistry that produces winning results shift by shift.:devdance::devdance::devdance: Playing the puck possession game whenever possible, at the same time ensure there are no defensive lapses, which create breakdowns in coverage. Breakaways 2 on 1's, 3 on 2's, etc.:walrus::walrus::walrus: etc., etc.

Side note…what happened to S Bah….he was the eternal optimist on these boards and must be loving this run. I hope all is well.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

Balls of steel for fighting 2000 Scott Stevens. I don't think a man can crack that jaw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad