Player Discussion Loui Eriksson, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I have to keep reminding myself that the Eriksson deal was done largely because of his chemistry with the Sedins in international play. Even with that in mind I thought it was a ridiculous deal both in amount and in term right from the get go. He isn't a terrible player IMHO but he is clearly little more than a spare part at this point. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if his signing was the result of a directive by FAQ with Benning basically shrugging his shoulders and saying "OK boss". I mean, what could go wrong?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Anyone laying a verbal beat-down on Eriksson and his agent is wasting their breath.....the guy who gets the brickbats is the guy who signed this guy to a ludicrous contract begin with--Benning.

And then after the player throws his coach under the bus in an off-season interview, the GM apparently doesn't have the kahones or the basic ability of a hockey executive, to get him outta' here. What a mess.! Is the guy going to be a press-box regular for the remaining three years of his contract? With this GM, I wouldn't rule it out.

It's an embarrassment to the organization.

This organization is an embarrassment to this franchise.

Loui is just a symptom of the toxic culture that permeates the AIG.

Don't let me stop you from piling on him though... just remember where the rot starts from and that's the head.

Reactions: vanuck

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
This organization is an embarrassment to this franchise.

Loui is just a symptom of the toxic culture that permeates the AIG.

Don't let me stop you from piling on him though... just remember where the rot starts from and that's the head.

I trust you mean Fredo himself...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I trust you mean Fredo himself...

397a10e7cd5549b8b36d2ecc3f3fb81c.jpg

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I have to keep reminding myself that the Eriksson deal was done largely because of his chemistry with the Sedins in international play. Even with that in mind I thought it was a ridiculous deal both in amount and in term right from the get go. He isn't a terrible player IMHO but he is clearly little more than a spare part at this point. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if his signing was the result of a directive by FAQ with Benning basically shrugging his shoulders and saying "OK boss". I mean, what could go wrong?
Even still, does he have to go 6x6? I mean who else out there was offering anything close to that for Louie?
Just like Ryan Miller. Assuming that Benning was forced into it by the higher up, does he have to go 6x3? Who is he competing? Is there really any danger that another team will come in and offer something even remotely close to what we sign them for? I really doubt it.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Even still, does he have to go 6x6? I mean who else out there was offering anything close to that for Louie?
Just like Ryan Miller. Assuming that Benning was forced into it by the higher up, does he have to go 6x3? Who is he competing? Is there really any danger that another team will come in and offer something even remotely close to what we sign them for? I really doubt it.

Oh yeah, agree wholeheartedly...

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Anyone laying a verbal beat-down on Eriksson and his agent is wasting their breath.....the guy who gets the brickbats is the guy who signed this guy to a ludicrous contract begin with--Benning.

And then after the player throws his coach under the bus in an off-season interview, the GM apparently doesn't have the kahones or the basic ability of a hockey executive, to get him outta' here. What a mess.! Is the guy going to be a press-box regular for the remaining three years of his contract? With this GM, I wouldn't rule it out.

It's an embarrassment to the organization.
Yes and when it's finally time for him to go down, it won't be to Utica. Watch Benning send him to the Texas Stars nearby his summer residence in Dallas. It's the Sam Gagner sympathy move.

Thing is, he has to go down cap wise if we want to send Gaudette down to get some game action and bring up Baertchi or Goldobin. It's another instance of shorting the Comets again.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Maybe Loui E was not a Benning Decision

Probably a directive from Ownership

It would explain a few Oddities.

Imo this goes well beyond the bounds of reality in avoiding placing responsibility for a management decision on the general manager.

Benning had a history with Eriksson. Aquilini didn't. Benning was the general manager who signed the contract. There's no basis for suggesting this was an ownership decision.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
In the offseason it sounded like there was some tension with this guy. I heard he asked management for a trade and management was telling him to start producing or they'll ship him down to Utica. Either way, looks like nothing came of that because he's still here sitting around.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
he seems miserable. and doesn't want to be here.. 3 games in the pressbox and the team is doing fine without him

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
He’ll get in again.. and I think it’ll be at the expense of Leivo.. another bleaaah game..

9-40-6
70-53-21
79-21-18
59-83-64
/17, 88

I think that sets us up nicely...... do it Green...

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Maybe Loui E was not a Benning Decision

Probably a directive from Ownership

It would explain a few Oddities.

I’m kinda leaning towards your first sentence myself but the Aquilini conspiracy theories are laughable. I’m speculating but if John Weisbrod was given a chance to analyze Ericsson’s intestinal fortitude and other intangibles he would’ve probably identified the deficiencies and veto’d the signing. That is unless the Sedins really wanted Loui and they didn’t want to send the wrong message to the players if they failed to sign a top UFA who was very willing to sign. Sending the right message to your players was and is way bigger and more important than $6m on the cap. It’s tough, sometimes you gotta balance a players character with the morale and chemistry of the team with the cap. That’s why managing is hard. But it seems like our management has made a sound decision on signing Loui Ericsson at the time of the signing when all the factors are considered.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
In the offseason it sounded like there was some tension with this guy. I heard he asked management for a trade and management was telling him to start producing or they'll ship him down to Utica. Either way, looks like nothing came of that because he's still here sitting around.

Canucks don’t want to take a greater hit on a trade than they have to. I’m sure they told his agent Barry that he could look around the nhl for a trade but obviously nothing has materialized to their liking. Canucks are not giving up an asset to move him. They’d retain on him and or take back a contract but not going to sacrifice an asset to send him out.

so both sides are stuck.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Canucks don’t want to take a greater hit on a trade than they have to. I’m sure they told his agent Barry that he could look around the nhl for a trade but obviously nothing has materialized to their liking. Canucks are not giving up an asset to move him. They’d retain on him and or take back a contract but not going to sacrifice an asset to send him out.

so both sides are stuck.

roughly this. i think the canucks will look at any offer but i doubt benning is working the phones to find those offers.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Eriksson is a better option than Motte and Schaller

He’s actually not. Those two guys actually finish their checks and hustle. Put either of them on the top 2 lines for chunks of the season and they could probably finish with a few less points than Loui did while actually providing some grit and effort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad