Player Discussion Loui Eriksson, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I’m kinda leaning towards your first sentence myself but the Aquilini conspiracy theories are laughable. I’m speculating but if John Weisbrod was given a chance to analyze Ericsson’s intestinal fortitude and other intangibles he would’ve probably identified the deficiencies and veto’d the signing. That is unless the Sedins really wanted Loui and they didn’t want to send the wrong message to the players if they failed to sign a top UFA who was very willing to sign. Sending the right message to your players was and is way bigger and more important than $6m on the cap. It’s tough, sometimes you gotta balance a players character with the morale and chemistry of the team with the cap. That’s why managing is hard. But it seems like our management has made a sound decision on signing Loui Ericsson at the time of the signing when all the factors are considered.

I'm guessing it went something like this:

FAQ to the Sedins: guys who out of all the available FA's would you love to play with?

Sedins: Well, Loui is available and we sure had good chemistry with him on Team Sweden...

FAQ: yeah I thought so too, HEY JIM!

JB: yeah boss?

FAQ: I think the twins would love to play with Eriksson. Go out and sign him up.

JB: OK boss but, y'know, he ain't gonna be cheap...

FAQ: SPARE NO EXPENSE. Nothing is too good for my boys...

JB: Yessir...

FAQ: Remember Jimmy boy, this was MY idea...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks will either have to heat big chunk of that salary to move him, or take a bad contract back in return. But 'doing nothing' is not an option. If the guy sits out 15-20 games, then he won't be much use to anybody, including the Canucks. And sending him Utica is not really an option.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

FAQ to the Sedins: guys who out of all the available FA's would you love to play with?

Sedins: Well, Loui is available and we sure had good chemistry with him on Team Sweden...

FAQ: I think the twins would love to play with Eriksson. Go out and sign him up.

Story is...
In the end...
It's never Benning's fault no matter how many mistakes he's made...

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
He's probably happy to be healthy scratched. How else could he stay in Vancouver collecting his pay cheque while doing as little as physically possible?

Reactions: sexydonut and Red

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015

Fan fiction?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Story is...
In the end...
It's never Benning's fault no matter how many mistakes he's made...

Whoa there, I never said that. It's his worst move as GM. Just saying that I'm betting FAQ's fingerprints are all over this. Fredo almost certainly didn't suggest the amount or the term...

megatron

Dec 11, 2016

Im guessing you arent aware that Lucic was targeted initally and Loui was signed after it was clear that Lucic wasn't siging with the Canucks. Thats not mutually exclusive with youve typed above but just mentioning it in case you wanted to add a bit more substance to your hypothetical.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Im guessing you arent aware that Lucic was targeted initally and Loui was signed after it was clear that Lucic wasn't siging with the Canucks. Thats not mutually exclusive with youve typed above but just mentioning it in case you wanted to add a bit more substance to your hypothetical.

Canucks admit they'll try to sign Milan Lucic

Benning tried to sign both. Thank goodness Lucic wanted to play with Mcdavid, or we would be stuck with two of the worst contracts in the league.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Canucks admit they'll try to sign Milan Lucic

Benning tried to sign both. Thank goodness Lucic wanted to play with Mcdavid, or we would be stuck with two of the worst contracts in the league.
"It does seem more likely Vancouver gets neither than both, but pursuing the biggest names in free agency is a pretty good indicator Vancouver lacks the patience for a prolonged rebuild."

Wait wasn't this in the middle of when Jim said they were rebuilding?

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
"It does seem more likely Vancouver gets neither than both, but pursuing the biggest names in free agency is a pretty good indicator Vancouver lacks the patience for a prolonged rebuild."

Wait wasn't this in the middle of when Jim said they were rebuilding?

At that point this was still a team Jim Benning thought he could win with. The "rebuild" didn't start until the trade deadline of that season.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
At that point this was still a team Jim Benning thought he could win with. The "rebuild" didn't start until the trade deadline of that season.
“We did turn it around that next year, we signed some players, we made the playoffs,” said Benning. “But at that point, I realized that, you know, with the group we had, we were going to have to try to rebuild the team and that was going to happen through drafting well and signing some free agents to help these young players develop. And that's the course of action we took.”
In other words, the Canucks’ rebuild under Jim Benning started in 2015, after they were ousted from the playoffs in the first round by the Calgary Flames.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I don't remember the rebuild. Must have been a quick one.
It was like a turd floating on the top of the bowl... just floating and floating until whoooooosh.. it gets sucked down the hole along with all of its cousins.

I definitely smelt it whenever Trevor and Jim opened their mouths. It was very pungent if I recall correctly.

hmm.gif

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I'd like to see an offseason swap of Eriksson for Cory Schneider who has been pretty bad in NJ. Same contracts, same term left and we need a veteran backup for Demko next season once Markstrom signs a longterm deal with the Hawks, Flames, Sabres or whomever is willing to pay $5million + season and give him the starting job. Schneider could bounce back here.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I'd like to see an offseason swap of Eriksson for Cory Schneider who has been pretty bad in NJ. Same contracts, same term left and we need a veteran backup for Demko next season once Markstrom signs a longterm deal with the Hawks, Flames, Sabres or whomever is willing to pay $5million + season and give him the starting job. Schneider could bounce back here.
Sadly, that's Loui's picture in the pictionary under the heading of 'anchor contract.' Loui will retire a Vancouver Canuck. the only question is when.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

Having a roster spot devoted to Schneider or any goalie who won’t help you win is way worse for your team than having Eriksson’s $6m dollars in the pressbox. I’m good with keeping a Markstrom and Demko as the tandem until we see how good DiPietro becomes. Back when Luongo was the starter and Schneider was the backup we saw some goaltending controversy to say the least and it was largely because Luongo was used to getting 70+ starts per season and didn’t like sharing the net because it messed with his rhythm. Markstrom’s game on the other hand actually benefits from getting more rest throughout the season. Meanwhile Demko gets to be eased into the NHL while practicing with a top flight goalie in Markstrom. Don’t see a good reason to mess with the goalies as things are going well.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
So what you're saying is instead of Eriksson we could have Neal?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad