Player Discussion Loui Eriksson, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Heh, remember how easy it was gonna be to move Eriksson to a cap floor team?

I'll cop to that. I guess having three years left on his contract is a bridge too far even for a cap floor team. At this point I'd rather see Eriksson stay than see him shipped out in a trade that includes a draft pick or prospect (such as they are). If he can still fulfil a bottom six role, better to have him play in Vancouver than send him to the AHL or elsewhere. If the guy has any pride, maybe he'll step up his game.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
What state he was in had zero to do with the statement he made. He said he was "having fun playing hockey again." Understand? Hockey was fun again. In Vancouver the game had ceased being fun. He wasn't having fun playing the game anymore.

That's all the statement he made in Utica was about. It didn't matter if he was in Timbuktu! The game he had had loved playing all of his life and had fun doing was once again providing him with that same satisfaction. HE WAS HAVING FUN!!
What the Hell do you have to try and make something out of that for?

Utica is 5+ hour drive from Smithtown.

Smithtown, as is all of Long Island, is a bedroom community for NYC. It is a subway ride from the BIG APPLE. Utica is a suburb of nowhere. It is it's own world as the center of Oneida County and the #10 largest city in NY. It is the gateway to the Adirondacks and Cooperstown and the National Baseball Hall of Fame is 40 miles away to the southeast.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm sure the main reason Higgins was having fun in Utica was because he was completely finished at the NHL level so it felt great to be a contributing player on a hockey team again. I could see something similar happening with Eriksson.

Reactions: F A N

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
I'm sure the main reason Higgins was having fun in Utica was because he was completely finished at the NHL level so it felt great to be a contributing player on a hockey team again. I could see something similar happening with Eriksson.
I could see Cull under firm instructions to not let LE play a single shift after the garbage he's pulled this off season. Letting him choose an alternate AHL team should also be out of the question if he blocked any trade whatsoever.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I'll cop to that. I guess having three years left on his contract is a bridge too far even for a cap floor team. At this point I'd rather see Eriksson stay than see him shipped out in a trade that includes a draft pick or prospect (such as they are). If he can still fulfil a bottom six role, better to have him play in Vancouver than send him to the AHL or elsewhere. If the guy has any pride, maybe he'll step up his game.

Not supporting Louie as I hate him as a player but put yourself in his shoes. You think he came to Vancouver to win a cup? No. He came because we gave him money and term that NO other GM would.

So he’s a millionaire now , on a team going nowhere and his money is guaranteed. He’s human, doesn’t care

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
What state he was in had zero to do with the statement he made. He said he was "having fun playing hockey again." Understand? Hockey was fun again. In Vancouver the game had ceased being fun. He wasn't having fun playing the game anymore.

That's all the statement he made in Utica was about. It didn't matter if he was in Timbuktu! The game he had had loved playing all of his life and had fun doing was once again providing him with that same satisfaction. HE WAS HAVING FUN!!
What the Hell do you have to try and make something out of that for?

Utica is 5+ hour drive from Smithtown.

Smithtown, as is all of Long Island, is a bedroom community for NYC. It is a subway ride from the BIG APPLE. Utica is a suburb of nowhere. It is it's own world as the center of Oneida County and the #10 largest city in NY. It is the gateway to the Adirondacks and Cooperstown and the National Baseball Hall of Fame is 40 miles away to the southeast.

Okay. Higgins having fun had nothing to do with him being in Utica. It might have been despite of Utica. He might have been even happier if he was playing in Timbuktu rather than Utica. There. Happy? Geesh

member 290103

Not supporting Louie as I hate him as a player but put yourself in his shoes. You think he came to Vancouver to win a cup? No. He came because we gave him money and term that NO other GM would.

So he’s a millionaire now , on a team going nowhere and his money is guaranteed. He’s human, doesn’t care

Hey Johnny! I actually agree with most of what you say. I like your snipe that the team is going nowhere too. Good stuff. Classic Johnny.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The numbers are beyond depressing. Between the contracts for Eriksson, Beagle and the Roberto Luongo penalty re-capture, the Canucks have more than $12 million tied up in salary cap room for the next three seasons. Now how sad is that?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
The numbers are beyond depressing. Between the contracts for Eriksson, Beagle and the Roberto Luongo penalty re-capture, the Canucks have more than $12 million tied up in salary cap room for the next three seasons. Now how sad is that?

Eriksson, Beagle and the Ghost of Roberto Luongo or Artemi Panarin? Hmmm.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I'm still baffled how Beagle got 4 years at his age, nevermind the overpayment on an annual basis. Eriksson's contract didn't look like a disaster when it was signed, though clearly overpayment in $$ and term. Eriksson could have become a useful top 6 player. Alas, his contract has become the biggest albatross for the club. I don't see him walking away from it even if he's in the minors. But the light at the end of the tunnel is less than 11 months away. After July 1/20 he will only be owed $5M over two seasons. Let's hope another team is willing to pay for those final two years.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I'm still baffled how Beagle got 4 years at his age, nevermind the overpayment on an annual basis. Eriksson's contract didn't look like a disaster when it was signed, though clearly overpayment in $$ and term. Eriksson could have become a useful top 6 player. Alas, his contract has become the biggest albatross for the club. I don't see him walking away from it even if he's in the minors. But the light at the end of the tunnel is less than 11 months away. After July 1/20 he will only be owed $5M over two seasons. Let's hope another team is willing to pay for those final two years.

I mean we said the same thing about Eriksson's contract being high cap/low salary, but there aren't as many teams clamouring to take on these contracts as we think. It's pretty much Ottawa, and you have to throw in a sweetener.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I mean we said the same thing about Eriksson's contract being high cap/low salary, but there aren't as many teams clamouring to take on these contracts as we think. It's pretty much Ottawa, and you have to throw in a sweetener.
I don't know. A serviceable NHL caliber bottom 6 forward who can score 10-15 goals at $2.5 per. That's not outrageous. Maybe they retain $500K. I'm not sure how the cap hit works in these cases with high bonus payments. If Vancouver pays the $3M bonus on July 1/20 and retains 50% of the remaining $1M payable next year, how much of the cap $6M cap hit do they have to absorb?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I don't know. A serviceable NHL caliber bottom 6 forward who can score 10-15 goals at $2.5 per. That's not outrageous. Maybe they retain $500K. I'm not sure how the cap hit works in these cases with high bonus payments. If Vancouver pays the $3M bonus on July 1/20 and retains 50% of the remaining $1M payable next year, how much of the cap $6M cap hit do they have to absorb?

I believe retention of cap and salary are always in lockstep i.e if he's making $1MM salary and cap hit is 6MM and we retain 50%, we pay 500k salary and still have 3MM in cap.

And sure he's like kinda serviceable, but his effort level is insanely demoralizing to watch and is 34.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Teams don't want other teams' old junk. Every team in the league has crap contracts they want to get rid of and only a couple are in positions to take them, so it's a buyer's market and they can command a very large price to take that bad asset.

We can get rid of Eriksson, now or next summer. The problem is how much it will cost us.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Teams don't want other teams' old junk. Every team in the league has crap contracts they want to get rid of and only a couple are in positions to take them, so it's a buyer's market and they can command a very large price to take that bad asset.

We can get rid of Eriksson, now or next summer. The problem is how much it will cost us.

I am curious what the offers have been for Loui assuming there have been some. If I am the Sens I would want a very good piece back for taking him.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

If that's the case, they may as well keep him at $2.5M per. I wouldn't pay a lot to get rid of him at that cash cost. As has been discussed ad nauseam, the 6M cap hit is a bigger problem in year three but there are other ways to manage that.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Eriksson, Beagle and the Ghost of Roberto Luongo or Artemi Panarin? Hmmm.

I love these takes... (sarcasm).

Can't stand these contracts- let me be clear.

But there is no world that Panarin was going to sign in Vancouver. Wish we had the space, no doubt, but we can't make believe that the space equals a specific player.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

But there is no world that Panarin was going to sign in Vancouver. Wish we had the space, no doubt, but we can't make believe that the space equals a specific player.
Only reason Mats Sundin here was for the $$$$$$s. Sure it doesn’t provide for a guarantee but it does give you a real advantage.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

I was being facetious. But regardless, the point is that $12M could be better spent on just about anything else and the team would be better off.

Reactions: Javaman

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver

I think you may have missed the point of this post. It was never about where Panarin would sign. The cap-space is the point. Panarin's intentions aside, Benning's brutal incompetence at contract negotiations is harmful to the Canucks' chances of being a good team.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think you may have missed the point of this post. It was never about where Panarin would sign. The cap-space is the point. Panarin's intentions aside, Benning's brutal incompetence at contract negotiations is harmful to the Canucks' chances of being a good team.

You know if people miss your point because you include "Ghost of Roberto Luongo" to make a point about Benning's incompetence at contract negotiations, you should look into expressing your points more clearly and not expecting other posters to just get what's inside your head.

Reactions: HankNDank
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad