Player Discussion Loui Eriksson, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
You know if people miss your point because you include "Ghost of Roberto Luongo" to make a point about Benning's incompetence at contract negotiations, you should look into expressing your points more clearly and not expecting other posters to just get what's inside your head.

I thought his point was clearly expressed.

<shrug>

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
You know if people miss your point because you include "Ghost of Roberto Luongo" to make a point about Benning's incompetence at contract negotiations, you should look into expressing your points more clearly and not expecting other posters to just get what's inside your head.

I wasn't necessarily making a point about Benning's incompetence, but rather how much useless, wasted cap space this team has. Benning's incompetence however just happens to be a HUGE contributor to that.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I wasn't necessarily making a point about Benning's incompetence, but rather how much useless, wasted cap space this team has. Benning's incompetence however just happens to be a HUGE contributor to that.

Ah my apologies. Javaman just added to your post with a curious comment about the Ghost of Luongo.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Ah my apologies. Javaman just added to your post with a curious comment about the Ghost of Luongo.

Just to clarify, I haven't used the phrase "Ghost of Luongo" in any of my posts in this thread.

Edit: Well, other than this post, obviously.

Last edited:
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Just to clarify, I haven't used the phrase "Ghost of Luongo" in any of my posts in this thread.

Edit: Well, other than this post, obviously.

Sorry I'm having a brain fart here. It was indeed Peter Griffen who used the phrase "Ghost of Luongo." My apologies to you.

I should stop posting in this thread. I don't really care much for Eriksson. I think it will suck to buy him out but I also think that trading him would at best be a lateral move (i.e. you pay the price to get rid of him).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Or, "I have been informed that he can't be traded and instructed to play him as usual next season."

Pretty much. I expect the organizational pumping of Eriksson's tires to ramp up heading into camp. It will probably be somewhat cringe worthy and heavy handed since everyone involved is an idiot.

The whole situation is just hilariously awkward. They thought for sure they'd be done with him and released the hounds on him and are now being forced to backtrack.

I suspect we'll see a few 'Loui Redemption!' articles from the usual suspects basically as soon as camp starts, as the team instructs the shills to try putting out fires.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The whole situation is just hilariously awkward. They thought for sure they'd be done with him and released the hounds on him and are now being forced to backtrack.

I suspect we'll see a few 'Loui Redemption!' articles from the usual suspects basically as soon as camp starts, as the team instructs the shills to try putting out fires.

Management also loves revisionist history. So at some point in the next 12 months I fully expect someone to say something along the lines of: "We actually never tried to trade Loui Eriksson. I'm not sure where those reports came from as Loui is a valuable member of our team."

This will allow the narrative that Benning never actually "failed" to move Eriksson. He simply never tried.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Play Eriksson with Pettersson and Miller for the first 20 games. Get him 10 goals. Play up the narrative that the lack of production in the past couple of years was primarily due to deployment issues (i.e. tell everyone Eriksson is right). Position him to be a great two way top six forward that can kill penalties and score 20 goals at even strength, that comes at $3Mx3. Teams would be lining up to get him.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor

OK, everyone, which is going to be the iMac headline on the eve of the season (and yeah yeah, the editors write the headlines, I know):

A. “Eriksson hasn’t lost the fire to compete”

B. “Eriksson: ‘I know I still have a lot to give’”

C. “Loui Eriksson brings veteran presence to young Canuck core”

D. “Eriksson: nowhere to go but up”

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
OK, everyone, which is going to be the iMac headline on the eve of the season (and yeah yeah, the editors write the headlines, I know):

A. “Eriksson hasn’t lost the fire to compete”

B. “Eriksson: ‘I know I still have a lot to give’”

C. “Loui Eriksson brings veteran presence to young Canuck core”

D. “Eriksson: nowhere to go but up”

C.

It's the narrative they've been cramming down our throats for years now.

Reactions: Luckylarry

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017

Thats gotta be awkward for a highly paid athlete isnt it? Id be a tad sympathetic if he had shown any kind of emotion or if he cared even a little bit. With his lack of interviews and media availability you cant even give him the benefit of the doubt.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I wanted to say that I thought Eriksson was dressed day 1 was because they could say to the PA that look we dressed him but I didnt want to be called a Benning bro. I think he was always destined for the minors and it is the right move. We want an energetic team that is at least fun to watch play. Eriksson sucks the life out of the game.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Anyone laying a verbal beat-down on Eriksson and his agent is wasting their breath.....the guy who gets the brickbats is the guy who signed this guy to a ludicrous contract begin with--Benning.

And then after the player throws his coach under the bus in an off-season interview, the GM apparently doesn't have the kahones or the basic ability of a hockey executive, to get him outta' here. What a mess.! Is the guy going to be a press-box regular for the remaining three years of his contract? With this GM, I wouldn't rule it out.

It's an embarrassment to the organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad