New York Islanders: Lou Lamoriello Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I'm not for trading Leddy (unless it's an offer you can't refuse), so I'm not sure why you went on to talk about him when it's Hickey being discussed? It would be like mentioning Boychuk (who once again I've always been a big supporter of on HF), irrelevant to Hickey.

Hickey is rarely out of position, he can move the puck decently, read plays, and does the little things that add up. Is he going to score 30-40 points? No (he will put up 20ish though). That's not his role though. His role is to play bottom 6 minutes, generate some plays and not be a defensive reliability. He does that well.

Also I'm not sure what games you watch...but Hickey doesn't play on the powerplay.

I had added to my last post that for the record you've defended Leddy.

I completely disagree on Hickey's positioning and puck movement especially. For a team that has been prone to coughing the puck up in danger areas, Thomas Hickey is it's worst offender. He panics with the puck along both blue lines and behind the net, then when he coughs the puck up he leaves his feet and dives all over the place. I can go through game video and post plenty of examples along with him being out of position or weak on a check later on if you would like.

This just reminds me of when people would defend guys like Quine and Prince. Yeah, they work hard.... yeah I'm sure they're likeable people. They aren't adding to this team becoming a contender. So why are we wasting the energy arguing?

Reactions: bigtim1988

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I had added to my last post that for the record you've defended Leddy.

I completely disagree on Hickey's positioning and puck movement especially. For a team that has been prone to coughing the puck up in danger areas, Thomas Hickey is it's worst offender. He panics with the puck along both blue lines and behind the net, then when he coughs the puck up he leaves his feet and dives all over the place. I can go through game video and post plenty of examples later on if you would like.

This just reminds me of when people would defend guys like Quine and Prince. Yeah, they work hard.... yeah I'm sure they're likeable people. They aren't adding to this team becoming a contender. So why are we wasting the energy arguing?

Dude you're blasting for Hickey not producing on the PP like other players (when he doesn't play on the PP)...I mean come on.

Reactions: pursuit81

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Last season Hickey had 6 minutes of powerplay time over the entire course of the season...I genuinely don't understand you pointing out his PP time in any form of an argument...did you actually watch the games last year? Honestly if you're going to mock other people's arguments and say they don't make sense...don't make a ridiculous argument like Hickey despite playing on the powerplay doesn't contribute to much offensively. smh.

He's been used sporadically on the PP. I don't see how my statement was wrong in any way. You got me though... I don't wathc the games, I just kinda fudge me way through arguments here. You're the one defending this stiff.

I'm not for trading Leddy (unless it's an offer you can't refuse), so I'm not sure why you went on to talk about him when it's Hickey being discussed? It would be like mentioning Boychuk (who once again I've always been a big supporter of on HF), irrelevant to Hickey.

I could have sworn I covered this in my last post. I amended the original post to point that out, you quoted it before I had the chance. And it's a big deal if you were pushing for a Leddy trade knowing how awful the next in line LD is.

Hickey is rarely out of position, he can move the puck decently, read plays, and does the little things that add up. Is he going to score 30-40 points? No (he will put up 20ish though). That's not his role though. His role is to play bottom 6 minutes, generate some plays and not be a defensive reliability. He does that well.

Bullshit, and I'm going to show you now

Reactions: bigtim1988

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Didn't check the SJS game because it was a shutout...

2:30 not a huge mistake, but he leaves his check open long enough (split second)to give up a goal
6:24 Hickey special turnover from behind his own net, another goal against

Nope... not done

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Didn't check the SJS game because it was a shutout...

2:30 not a huge mistake, but he leaves his check open long enough (split second)to give up a goal
6:24 Hickey special turnover from behind his own net, another goal against

Nope... not done

6:24 not his fault whatsoever. A defensemen in that situation has 4 options:

1) cycle the puck (there was nobody behind him to cycle it to-not an option)
2) pass it up the middle of the zone (huge no-no, in hockey 101 you learn to never do this)
3) take the check and hope to protect the puck somehow
4) dump it up the boards where the winger should be--the option he chose and the best one possible. Clutterbuck was out of position.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
6:24 not his fault whatsoever. A defensemen in that situation has 4 options:

1) cycle the puck (there was nobody behind him to cycle it to-not an option)
2) pass it up the middle of the zone (huge no-no, in hockey 101 you learn to never do this)
3) take the check and hope to protect the puck somehow
4) dump it up the boards where the winger should be--the option he chose and the best one possible. Clutterbuck was out of position.

Bullshit. He needed to reverse the puck to his defense partner who was wide open on the other side of the net or at least wring the puck high around the glass.

NOT DONE

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Bull****. He needed to reverse the puck to his defense partner who was wide open on the other side of the net or at least wring the puck high around the glass.

NOT DONE

Wristing around up the glass is dangerous as it gives Cluttberbuck an even tougher time getting possession of the puck against Josi...we all know how that's going to turn out.
Dumping it behind the net at full speed like that works in NHL 19, but not real life. The other defender isn't entirely open and is right-handed, and away from the boards/corner. It's ok to be wrong or mistaken-we all are at times (I've been plenty of times before). But as I said give me a break, Hickey's become a scapegoat just like Hilbert was.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

4:05 Hickey on the wrong side of the ice in the same corner as his D partner, but that isn't the worst part.... look what he does when Burns drives to the net. HIL-ARIOUS
5:10 getting abused in front of the net some more

There were other instances I could have pointed out, but they were minor.

NOT DONE

To save time I'm only reviewing games they lost where Hickey played.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Wristing around up the glass is dangerous as it gives Cluttberbuck an even tougher time getting possession of the puck against Josi...we all know how that's going to turn out.
Dumping it behind the net at full speed like that works in NHL 19, but not real life. The other defender isn't entirely open and is right-handed, and away from the boards/corner. It's ok to be wrong or mistaken-we all are at times (I've been plenty of times before). But as I said give me a break, Hickey's become a scapegoat just like Hilbert was.

It's what you're taught to do as a defenseman. He should have reversed, but if he needed to punt on the play, he should have wringed it high around the boards and out of the zone.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
It's what you're taught to do as a defenseman. He should have reversed, but if he needed to punt on the play, he should have wringed it high around the boards and out of the zone.

It's not what you're taught to do, because you can't see behind you (and that defenseman wasn't ready for the pass btw). He should have shot it up the boards like he did-Clutterbuck got owned by Josi (very few wouldn't be). Hickey didn't have time to react. You can pick and choose mistakes from Hickey all you want and make him look awful, just like you can cherry pick highlights from last year and make him look like a top 4 defenseman.

Your only arguments against Hickey are his lack of production on the powerplay (which he played less than 6 minutes total on last season) and cherry picking mistakes he's made. I'm going to enjoy new years with my family now, happy new year.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
It's not what you're taught to do, because you can't see behind you (and that defenseman wasn't ready for the pass btw). He should have shot it up the boards like he did-Clutterbuck got owned by Josi (very few wouldn't be). Hickey didn't have time to react. You can pick and choose mistakes from Hickey all you want and make him look awful, just like you can cherry pick highlights from last year and make him look like a top 4 defenseman.

Your only arguments against Hickey are his lack of production on the powerplay (which he played less than 6 minutes total on last season) and cherry picking mistakes he's made. I'm going to enjoy new years with my family now, happy new year.

It's EXACTLY what you're taught to do. You communicate on the ice in that situation "REVERSE" if your D partner is open, "WHEEL" if it's safe to skate the puck out from behind the net or "CLEAR" if no other options. With defenders bearing down on him and Clutterbuck covered his options are to reverse or clear the puck. He made the wrong decision because he panicked like he always does.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
And I'm not cherry picking anything.... I'm going through the game highlights and about 5 games in have found ONE where he didn't hurt the team.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Last season Hickey had 6 minutes of powerplay time over the entire course of the season...I genuinely don't understand you pointing out his PP time in any form of an argument...did you actually watch the games last year? Honestly if you're going to mock other people's arguments and say they don't make sense...don't make a ridiculous argument like Hickey despite playing on the powerplay doesn't contribute to much offensively. smh.

He has about 2 mins so far this season as well. Both seasons it's roughly 5-10 seconds of PP per game.

Is this a butchism?
For some reason this kinda reminded me of this:

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

5:13 poor skating transition again, gets blown by wide
9:00 gets mugged behind his net again, slides around on his backside while Malkin dunks on him

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
giphy.gif

Looks like you've got it all figured out..... it has nothing to do with his constantly being out of position, weak in all areas of the ice especially in front of the net the rare times he actually covers it, his poor transitions from backward to forward skating resulting in forwards blowing by him wide often, his handling of the puck like a grenade in danger areas resulting in back breaking turnovers, his propensity of taking dumb penalties at the end of games when down by one goal or the fact that his offense is nowhere near being good enough to warrant putting up with any of this nonsense. (less points than Adam Pelech in the same amount of games played).
To those who know nothing about the game, the paragraph you written might even be convincing but the bottom line is that people a hell of lot smarter than you about hockey have him in the lineup when available given the other available options. End of discussion.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

0:28 first he covers the wrong guy, then his poor skating transitions allows the forward to blown by him wide. another goal against
1:40 gets away with an ill advised open ice check, but then goes for a change and lets Crosby behind him

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
To those who know nothing about the game, the paragraph you written might even be convincing but the bottom line is that people a hell of lot smarter than you about hockey have him in the lineup when available given the other available options. End of discussion.

Who was taking his place? He's there because the Islanders depth on LD has been dogshit

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Should I keep going?
You could cherry pick for every player in the lineup, no, actually the entire league. All you've done here is prove that Hickey plays in NHL and coaches and management want him there, despite mistakes, which everyone makes over the course of a game, a season, a career.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
You could cherry pick for every player in the lineup, no, actually the entire league. All you've done here is prove that Hickey plays in NHL and coaches and management want him there, despite mistakes, which everyone makes over the course of a game, a season, a career.

I've gone through each game and out of about 5-6 he hasn't hurt the team in two of them.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Not wasting any more time trying to prove to people that Hickey is a bad defenseman. I'd rather get into an argument with a flat earther... they have more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad