New York Islanders: Lou Lamoriello Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Trotz is rightfully getting lots of praise, but what about the GM? I went back pretty far and didn't see a Lou thread so am starting a new one (Mods, merge if you want and can find an old one).

Lou took a lot of heat for his off-season moves (some here, but especially around the league). But at this point the supposed glut of 4th liners (Martin, Filppula, Komarov) is looking pretty good on the ice (and probably even better in the room). Sbisa hasn't played much but has provided some veteran depth without wasting a kid away in the press box. Letting JHS, Toews and MDC marinate a while in the AHL is looking pretty good right about now.

I always felt that Milbury and Snow failed Chemistry. They might make some good moves in isolation, but taken as a whole there seemed to be no plan and there was a failure to address obvious problems. Oh, and they hired bad coaches.

Lou hasn't made a big move (other than hiring Trotz!) but so far I'd say he's made all of the right small ones.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
There's over 1,000 posts in the other thread, so we'll leave this one. I'm just going to adjust the title a little bit.

Reactions: doublechili

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I am curious to see what Lamoriello's big move is going to be. He has reportedly kicked the tires on Karlsson and ROR so one has to assume he has asked about Panarin and Duchene. If he could somehow trade for one of these guys or just sign them in the offseason that would be a huge move for the Islanders.

My only worry about him is that he dies and his son takes over as GM.

Reactions: bigtim1988

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I was relieved and totally psyched once snow was removed. Not nearly as psyched with Lou as GM. I'd much rather see him as team president and hire a GM as opposed to making moves himself. If you look back to the moves he's made since his final years with the Devils they've been anything less than stellar. I'm going to be totally underwhelmed when we have to commit lots of cap to Bobrovsky next year for 5+ seasons.

I hope that Lou is taking a lot of guidance from Trotz who I trust completely. Let Trotz identify the players he wants and then have Lou go out and get them.

And I'll say this for the 1,000th time...If Chris Lamoriello is the next GM of this team that is a massive step backwards.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I was relieved and totally psyched once snow was removed. Not nearly as psyched with Lou as GM. I'd much rather see him as team president and hire a GM as opposed to making moves himself. If you look back to the moves he's made since his final years with the Devils they've been anything less than stellar. I'm going to be totally underwhelmed when we have to commit lots of cap to Bobrovsky next year for 5+ seasons.

I hope that Lou is taking a lot of guidance from Trotz who I trust completely. Let Trotz identify the players he wants and then have Lou go out and get them.

And I'll say this for the 1,000th time...If Chris Lamoriello is the next GM of this team that is a massive step backwards.

Looks like we both have the same worries about what could potentially happen. I am cool with having Chris as an assistant or something, but as Lou's last years wear on I do hope he gets someone else in charge here to run the show. Trotz may have a bigger say in what goes on though than we all know.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Looks like we both have the same worries about what could potentially happen. I am cool with having Chris as an assistant or something, but as Lou's last years wear on I do hope he gets someone else in charge here to run the show. Trotz may have a bigger say in what goes on though than we all know.

Based on your posts I have no doubt we see a lot of things the same way. That said I'm not ok with Chris L being any part of this organization the same way I don't want snow having any role in this organization.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Lous best move was Hiring Trotz. Then the staff followed, including Korn and Greco. Changed the whole the organization.

Im also impressed with how he has integrated the younger guys from BPT. Garth absolutely failed so hard at this. Garth never worked in the younger guys to the roster. Pulock. Toews. JHS. It just led to this 1B team.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
LL has forgotten more hockey than we as fans collectively know. I will not question any moves he makes..he knows exactly what he's doing and he has only been proven right so far in what he's done.

I also think he's not gonna do a "Milbury" move and gut the franchise for a shot term win because he wants to set up his son for long term success.

I am worried his son doesn't have the magic of daddy but hopefully he learns as much as he can before his demise and the owners would give him a short leash if things went wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jtown

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
From an article someone linked in another thread, Trotz on Lou re: Martin and Komarov:

“They’ve been really big pieces for the development of our young players,” Trotz said. “Obviously we had inside trading with Lou knowing those guys. I knew ‘Marty’ a little bit, but I didn’t know Leo very well, plus I can’t understand him half the time. I wasn’t too sure. Lou explained it to me the reasons, but I wasn’t sure. Now I’m sure. I understand fully.”

And Lou on guys like them:

“I’m an orchestra guy,” Lamoriello said. “I love music and I watch the orchestra. I’ve always said if one instrument is out of tune, the music isn’t good. You need all different types of players. What they bring with their character and all the little things, you just can’t teach. I knew ‘Marty’ from when he played against us in New Jersey and I tried to get Leo when he was a free agent and he came back from the KHL. It’s hard to explain. Those players, to me, I’ve had them all my life, all my career. They bring something.”

Islanders' next generation slams book shut on Tavares era with convincing win over Maple Leafs - TheHockeyNews

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
LL has not made a bad move yet in my opinion. The way he has built the roster and managed call ups and Bridgeport itself has been stelllar.
I think folks may be overrating what Trotz does with Bridgeport as he has enough to do coaching the team.

That said, the pressure is ramping up on LL everyday that Lee is left dangling out there. This team cannot afford to lose him in my opinion while everyone else has been surprised.

Will be interesting to see what he does when he considers this team as a playoff team. LL set his roster to be in this position.

Will he go for short term satisfaction as a wild card or build for the future? I reckon it will be a combination of both as he has been doing all along.

It comes down to what he thinks about the teams players, prospects and post season chances. I trust him.

Reactions: PotvinsCups4

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
For people worried about Chris Lamoriello, LL didn't have him be his replacement in NJ and he didn't bring him along when he went to Toronto. I don't believe Lou is the type of person to put anyone in a position they didn't deserve. That said, if he were to upgrade his son to GM upon leaving, I've got faith it's because LL believes he is the best man for the job. LL has a long legacy, and I think he's earned that bit of benefit of doubt.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
LL has not made a bad move yet in my opinion. The way he has built the roster and managed call ups and Bridgeport itself has been stelllar.
I think folks may be overrating what Trotz does with Bridgeport as he has enough to do coaching the team.

That said, the pressure is ramping up on LL everyday that Lee is left dangling out there. This team cannot afford to lose him in my opinion while everyone else has been surprised.

Will be interesting to see what he does when he considers this team as a playoff team. LL set his roster to be in this position.

Will he go for short term satisfaction as a wild card or build for the future? I reckon it will be a combination of both as he has been doing all along.

It comes down to what he thinks about the teams players, prospects and post season chances. I trust him.

No complaining, but Lou has made 1 bad move, re-signing Hickey...

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
It was a cautious move, to protect against the youth being bad. Unfortunately, the term is just gross.

And that's my issue with it...
Sign him for 2 years, and I'm ok with it, but 4 years???
Now that Toews is up, Hickey might be the #7 D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->