New York Islanders: Lou Lamoriello Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
For people worried about Chris Lamoriello, LL didn't have him be his replacement in NJ and he didn't bring him along when he went to Toronto. I don't believe Lou is the type of person to put anyone in a position they didn't deserve. That said, if he were to upgrade his son to GM upon leaving, I've got faith it's because LL believes he is the best man for the job. LL has a long legacy, and I think he's earned that bit of benefit of doubt.
Lou would fire his mother if it meant one more win for his team.

Chris Lamoriello has been the GM of a Bridgeport team that was neglected by Islanders ownership for years. This is the first year we have ownership willing to spend money on our AHL team as well as our NHL team. This is probably why they chose to retain Brent Thompson one more year, to give him a chance to work with the prospects and have more resources available to him. So far the results there are positive. BST has the 2nd best record in the AHL.

Don’t worry about Lou and nepotism folks.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
No complaining, but Lou has made 1 bad move, re-signing Hickey...
Yeah, 4 years for Hickey was a bit much but that was without knowing how Devon Toews would bounce back from missing half a season due to injury.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Still don't get the level of Hickey hatred. Contract maybe a little rich for what he brings but not really in today's NHL. Shouldn't be a second pair player but that's not really on him. He's an average NHL defenseman (which, oh by the way, means he's a damn good hockey player) and apparently a great teammate and hard worker. I know he doesn't suck to the degree that he is made out to by some on these pages and honestly don't know what they are comparing him to? Or maybe they hold some grudges for an egregious mistake or mistakes he's made in the past. In any event, I just don't see it.

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Lou would fire his mother if it meant one more win for his team.

Chris Lamoriello has been the GM of a Bridgeport team that was neglected by Islanders ownership for years. This is the first year we have ownership willing to spend money on our AHL team as well as our NHL team. This is probably why they chose to retain Brent Thompson one more year, to give him a chance to work with the prospects and have more resources available to him. So far the results there are positive. BST has the 2nd best record in the AHL.

Don’t worry about Lou and nepotism folks.
Right. And last I checked Lou wouldn't be the one hiring his replacement - L&M would.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
BTW, another signing some thought questionable - Lehner - is working out pretty well so far.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
For people worried about Chris Lamoriello, LL didn't have him be his replacement in NJ and he didn't bring him along when he went to Toronto. I don't believe Lou is the type of person to put anyone in a position they didn't deserve. That said, if he were to upgrade his son to GM upon leaving, I've got faith it's because LL believes he is the best man for the job. LL has a long legacy, and I think he's earned that bit of benefit of doubt.

Well right now there's LL at the top as president/GM and then two Assistant GMs:

1. Chris Lamoriello
  2. Steve Pellegrini
(in that order)

Just saying if LL retired today who do you think would be at least interim GM if not the perminent one?

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Still don't get the level of Hickey hatred. Contract maybe a little rich for what he brings but not really in today's NHL. Shouldn't be a second pair player but that's not really on him. He's an average NHL defenseman and apparently a great teammate and hard worker. I know he doesn't suck to the degree that he is made out to by some on these pages and honestly don't know what they are comparing him to? Or maybe they hold some grudges for an egregious mistake or mistakes he's made in the past. Just don't see it.

He is the weak link in my opinion so I will agree this was an overly cautious move by Lou.

It will be hard returning to the lineup the way this team is going right now barring an injury.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
He is the weak link in my opinion so I will agree this was an overly cautious move by Lou.

It will be hard returning to the lineup the way this team is going right now barring an injury.
Certainly agree with the second point. Who'd a thunk D depth would be an area we had some positive choices to make personnel wise at the beginning of the season? BT is doing is phenomenal job.

PotvinsCups4

Apr 30, 2016
I was relieved and totally psyched once snow was removed. Not nearly as psyched with Lou as GM. I'd much rather see him as team president and hire a GM as opposed to making moves himself. I hope that Lou is taking a lot of guidance from Trotz ..
I haven't the foggiest idea how you could have such a lack of belief in Lou. it's completely bizarre to me.. it's just typical of the world today where we don't respect Elders who have been successful in their lives.. I don't get it... every GM in history has made mistakes including Bill Torrey.. that doesn't mean you can't trust him over all. Just as I said when people were bashing Lehner I hope that Lou wins so many Stanley Cups that you have to eat your words.. I mean really people this is ridiculous

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Lou gets an A from me for hiring Trotz and his staff, and keeping things simple regarding the roster.
For the record, I wanted Lehner, Fil, and Leo...

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
So far so good from Trotz and Lou but he had an opportunity to bring a little more skill to this team last offseason and missed the mark.
I give LL an "A" for his personnel decisions and the draft. His free agency signings and lack of trades lower the grade to a B +. He didn't have a ton to work with so I recently added the plus.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Still don't get the level of Hickey hatred. Contract maybe a little rich for what he brings but not really in today's NHL. Shouldn't be a second pair player but that's not really on him. He's an average NHL defenseman and apparently a great teammate and hard worker. I know he doesn't suck to the degree that he is made out to by some on these pages and honestly don't know what they are comparing him to? Or maybe they hold some grudges for an egregious mistake or mistakes he's made in the past. Just don't see it.

Complete agreed on Hickey, been saying it for years now. Hickey's a good #5-6 defenseman and playing seasons on him is just as ridiculous as when the fanbase blamed seasons on a 4th liner center (Hilbert). Every fanbase needs a scapegoat though I guess.

Reactions: Capt Obvious

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Complete agreed on Hickey, been saying it for years now. Hickey's a good #5-6 defenseman and playing seasons on him is just as ridiculous as when the fanbase blamed seasons on a 4th liner center (Hilbert). Every fanbase needs a scapegoat though I guess.

45 years as an NHL team and Hickey is already #12 on our all time games played list for D. When he plays 10 more games he will be 10th. Since the cup years the entire D has been the scapegoat.
For the entire time he has been here Hickey has been one of our overall best defensemen and he has scored some very clutch goals if you remember back. I am not President of the Hickey Fan Club . Just an observation . His true place on this team would be a #6 and playing 50-60 games. Happy New Year

LGI

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I find it hilarious that in order to defend Hickey, his supporters have to resort to things like +/- and games played. Thomas Hickey is a shitty defenseman period. The more he's relied on, the shittier he is and the worse your overall team defense will be. Want to make the argument that he shouldn't be getting more than 10-12 minutes a night? Fine.... I'm on board. Then what are you left defending? A defenseman that is in the same tier as the warrior.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
45 years as an NHL team and Hickey is already #12 on our all time games played list for D. When he plays 10 more games he will be 10th. Since the cup years the entire D has been the scapegoat.
For the entire time he has been here Hickey has been one of our overall best defensemen and he has scored some very clutch goals if you remember back. I am not President of the Hickey Fan Club . Just an observation . His true place on this team would be a #6 and playing 50-60 games. Happy New Year

LGI

That says more about how horrid this franchise has been run since Torrey left than anything about Hickey. Capuano is #2 in coaching wins.

End of story.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I find it hilarious that in order to defend Hickey, his supporters have to resort to things like +/- and games played. Thomas Hickey is a ****ty defenseman period. The more he's relied on, the ****tier he is and the worse your overall team defense will be. Want to make the argument that he shouldn't be getting more than 10-12 minutes a night? Fine.... I'm on board. Then what are you left defending?

A defenseman that is in the same tier as the warrior.

Ah never mind . Gotta go take down the Christmas lights

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Still don't get the level of Hickey hatred. Contract maybe a little rich for what he brings but not really in today's NHL. Shouldn't be a second pair player but that's not really on him. He's an average NHL defenseman (which, oh by the way, means he's a damn good hockey player) and apparently a great teammate and hard worker. I know he doesn't suck to the degree that he is made out to by some on these pages and honestly don't know what they are comparing him to? Or maybe they hold some grudges for an egregious mistake or mistakes he's made in the past. In any event, I just don't see it.
Here's the deal on Hickey. He probably had a really bad game or few games a couple of years back and somebody posted that Hickey is the worst defenseman in the world and some others picked up on it and decided to repeat it because they thought it made them sound like they know something about hockey. And then it became a meme for the people on this board who don't actually know anything about hockey but think it makes them sound cool and knowledgeable to say that Hickey sucks every now and then. Finally, they believe that by continually repeating it, it reinforces the notion that they know something about hockey when, in fact, the effect is the exact opposite.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Here's the deal on Hickey. He probably had a really bad game or few games a couple of years back and somebody posted that Hickey is the worst defenseman in the world and some others picked up on it and decided to repeat it because they thought it made them sound like they know something about hockey. And then it became a meme for the people on this board who don't actually know anything about hockey but think it makes them sound cool and knowledgeable to say that Hickey sucks every now and then. Finally, they believe that by continually repeating it, it reinforces the notion that they know something about hockey when, in fact, the effect is the exact opposite.

giphy.gif

Looks like you've got it all figured out..... it has nothing to do with his constantly being out of position, weak in all areas of the ice especially in front of the net the rare times he actually covers it, his poor transitions from backward to forward skating resulting in forwards blowing by him wide often, his handling of the puck like a grenade in danger areas resulting in back breaking turnovers, his propensity of taking dumb penalties at the end of games when down by one goal or the fact that his offense is nowhere near being good enough to warrant putting up with any of this nonsense. (less points than Adam Pelech in the same amount of games played).

Reactions: PWJunior

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I find it hilarious that in order to defend Hickey, his supporters have to resort to things like +/- and games played. Thomas Hickey is a ****ty defenseman period. The more he's relied on, the ****tier he is and the worse your overall team defense will be. Want to make the argument that he shouldn't be getting more than 10-12 minutes a night? Fine.... I'm on board. Then what are you left defending? A defenseman that is in the same tier as the warrior.

Teams need bottom pairing defensemen, just like they need 4th liners. There's nothing wrong with a solid bottom pairing defensemen, just like there's nothng wrong with a solid 4th liner...but when you play them on the 2nd line don't be surprised when they're not suited for that role.

Richard Pilon and Scott Lachance have played more games than Thomas Hickey, BTW just to put that stat in context.

They also played more than Hamrlik and Aucoin...what's your point?

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Teams need bottom pairing defensemen, just like they need 4th liners. There's nothing wrong with a solid bottom pairing defensemen, just like there's nothng wrong with a solid 4th liner...but when you play them on the 2nd line don't be surprised when they're not suited for that role.

He's a poor bottom pairing defenseman. I'm trying to find a redeeming quality here..... I really am. He works hard and I'm sure he's a good team mate. That doesn't make a good anything other than a friend. I'm sure we can all agree that Pelech isn't a good offensive defenseman? Well, Thomas has less points than he does and only had 6 more points than he did last year despite getting PP time. So how exactly is he a better option than Pelech? (who I also would like to upgrade from)

At least Pelech covers the front of the net and can win corner battles.

All that aside, since you admit he shouldn't be getting higher than 3rd pairing minutes.... I really hope you aren't one of those posters who have been advocating trading Nick Leddy the past couple months. Nick Leddy's warts were mostly due to use.... Thomas Hickey just doesn't have the tools or the ability.

So we're basically going this far defending someone we all agree at the very least shouldn't be getting more than bottom pairing minutes? Sounds like a waste of time to me.

Edit: For the record, you've defended Leddy

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
He's a poor bottom pairing defenseman. I'm trying to find a redeeming quality here..... I really am. He works hard and I'm sure he's a good team mate. That doesn't make a good anything other than a friend. I'm sure we can all agree that Pelech isn't a good offensive defenseman? Well, Thomas has less points than he does and only had 6 more points than he did last year despite getting PP time. So how exactly is he a better option than Pelech? (who I also would like to upgrade from)

At least Pelech covers the front of the net and can win corner battles.

All that aside, since you admit he shouldn't be getting higher than 3rd pairing minutes.... I really hope you aren't one of those posters who have been advocating trading Nick Leddy the past couple months. Nick Leddy's warts were mostly due to use.... Thomas Hickey just doesn't have the tools or the ability.

So we're basically going this far defending someone we all agree at the very least shouldn't be getting more than bottom pairing minutes? Sounds like a waste of time to me.

Last season Hickey had 6 minutes of powerplay time over the entire course of the season...I genuinely don't understand you pointing out his PP time in any form of an argument...did you actually watch the games last year? Honestly if you're going to mock other people's arguments and say they don't make sense...don't make a ridiculous argument like Hickey despite playing on the powerplay doesn't contribute to much offensively. smh.

He has about 2 mins so far this season as well. Both seasons it's roughly 5-10 seconds of PP per game.

I'm not for trading Leddy (unless it's an offer you can't refuse), so I'm not sure why you went on to talk about him when it's Hickey being discussed? It would be like mentioning Boychuk (who once again I've always been a big supporter of on HF), irrelevant to Hickey.

Hickey is rarely out of position, he can move the puck decently, read plays, and does the little things that add up. Is he going to score 30-40 points? No (he will put up 20ish though). That's not his role though. His role is to play bottom 6 minutes, generate some plays and not be a defensive reliability. He does that well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad