New York Islanders: Lou Lamoriello Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
At some point or another he will be on LTIR

Let's be honest, Marian Hossa is on LTIR because of a skin condition. With all of the injuries that Ladd has sustained over the years, I am sure they can find a doctor that won't clear him medically (with a legit underlying issue), if that is what both the Isles and Ladd want ultimately. If Ladd cannot get back this season, hopefully there will be some resolution in the off season.

Reactions: WangMustGo

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Let's be honest, Marian Hossa is on LTIR because of a skin condition. With all of the injuries that Ladd has sustained over the years, I am sure they can find a doctor that won't clear him medically (with a legit underlying issue), if that is what both the Isles and Ladd want ultimately. If Ladd cannot get back this season, hopefully there will be some resolution in the off season.

After the Pronger and Hossa stuff, I never want to see another player denied. The Pronger one was especially puzzling. He was on the roster for a team while employed by the NHL directly I'm pretty sure. Ladd has legitimate back issues, and now his knee. He's got more than enough to qualify him if it ends up going that route. I have to wonder whether or not he'd even like to come back after a certain point, sometimes it's just not worth it if your body is going to break down over and over again.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

If, and I say IF, a doctor doesn't clear Ladd to play then is there another option other than LTIR (which he can also always come back from)?

If Ladd wants to keep playing then going to be hard to put him on LTIR without a doctor violating the code of ethics.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Can anyone here who's really studied Lou's tendencies as GM over the past 20 years share what he typically does in certain situations?

For example we all know that he usually addresses the goaltending situation as one of his first moves. Therefore we can expect him to resign Lehner, but probably not until after he's kicked the tires on Bobrovsky and maybe Howard/Varlamov.

What else does Lou typically do as GM? He's made so many moves as GM of the Devils/Leafs that it's hard to come up with patterns. Sometimes he let's UFA's walk, and sometimes he resigns them.

Since Lou is air-tight silent when it comes to moves, really curious if we can get a sense of what he will do with the isles over the next year and forward...

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Can anyone here who's really studied Lou's tendencies as GM over the past 20 years share what he typically does in certain situations?

For example we all know that he usually addresses the goaltending situation as one of his first moves. Therefore we can expect him to resign Lehner, but probably not until after he's kicked the tires on Bobrovsky and maybe Howard/Varlamov.

What else does Lou typically do as GM? He's made so many moves as GM of the Devils/Leafs that it's hard to come up with patterns. Sometimes he let's UFA's walk, and sometimes he resigns them.

Since Lou is air-tight silent when it comes to moves, really curious if we can get a sense of what he will do with the isles over the next year and forward...
I'll tell you something constant since day one, he likes big 2C.
So expect a Nelson re-signing...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I heard Lou on Prime time sports with McCowan and Shannon before the season began, and I think he is a better GM now than when he was with NJ. The reason was he cited hockey is constantly evolving and for him to use methodology from the 80's to the game now would be foolhardy. But saying this, he values things that never change to newer things that the game has introduced.

One thing that Lou has always valued is Goaltending and defence. I think Mark Hunter had a pronounced effect on how he views players today. Hunter likes skill, and it's funny because I recall him being asked which players he was high on for the 2015 draft and 2 players that came up were Rantanten, and Barzal.

One thing I will agree on is Lou runs a very tight ship. A deal will come out of nowhere. There are no leaks from his front office.

I do think he will make some moves, we will just have to wait and see what they are.

Also I like this saying from Lou. When people were using back pressure as a new hockey term. He said and I am paraphrasing this, but yes I like back pressure. We used to call it back checking in our day. That was typical Lou.

Reactions: periferal

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
If, and I say IF, a doctor doesn't clear Ladd to play then is there another option other than LTIR (which he can also always come back from)?

If Ladd wants to keep playing then going to be hard to put him on LTIR without a doctor violating the code of ethics.

After Ladd's $4 million bonus is paid out for the 2019-20 season, he is only owed $13 million (with a $1 million per salary) for the next four years.

Yet his cap hit is $5.5 million per at $22 million total. A team looking to circumvent the cap floor can take that on, although it might cost the Isles an asset or they take on a large, one-year salary upfront then clear the cap implications going forward.

In the NHL, there is almost always a way to shed a bad contract, if you get creative.

Of course, if there is another lockout, odds are compliance buyouts will be part of the eventually settlement as well.

Reactions: periferal

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Does anybody know Lou's deadline history when solidly in a playoff position? Does he usually stand pat, or is he known for making a splash? I don't have the time nor energy to research it lol.
He's 50/50 as far as I can tell, meaning he has made some huge moves at times, or stayed quiet. One thing for sure, after looking at his history, he ain't shy when it comes to making a splash.

I've said this before, but his tendencies tell me at the very most he makes a depth acquisition at the TDL, than goes all out this summer...

Reactions: LeapOnOver

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's 50/50 as far as I can tell, meaning he has made some huge moves at times, or stayed quiet. One thing for sure, after looking at his history, he ain't shy when it comes to making a splash.

I've said this before, but his tendencies tell me at the very most he makes a depth acquisition at the TDL, than goes all out this summer...

I agree. But one area I have not seen from him repeat is the Ryan Clowe signings which again to me signal he is ever changing as a hockey Exec. Not rushing this summer by lower risk, high reward signings. He used a 2nd to trade for Boyle and Plekanec his last 2 years when in a playoff position. I can see Lou maybe moving the pick acquired in the Hamonic trade if there is a similar rental this dead line.

That would leave the Isles with a 1st, no 2nd, 3rd, or 4th in this summer's draft. So this will have to be a solid player I would guess for Lou to make a TDL deal using the 2nd rd pick.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
I agree. But one area I have not seen from him repeat is the Ryan Clowe signings which again to me signal he is ever changing as a hockey Exec. Not rushing this summer by lower risk, high reward signings. He used a 2nd to trade for Boyle and Plekanec his last 2 years when in a playoff position. I can see Lou maybe moving the pick acquired in the Hamonic trade if there is a similar rental this dead line.

That would leave the Isles with a 1st, no 2nd, 3rd, or 4th in this summer's draft. So this will have to be a solid player I would guess for Lou to make a TDL deal using the 2nd rd pick.

I guess a great reason why he kept both 1's this year

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I was thinking about this today. What will Lou do before the TDL.

Based on the Isles standings. I think he will hold on to Lee, Nelson, and Eberle.

Much as he did for Bozak and JVR when he was in a similar position last yr.

One thing that he was able to do 3 years ago was unload Phaneuf without retaining any of his salary to Ottawa in what has turned out to be one of the best trades of his GM career. Phaneuf is done and is still making 7M per.

Wonder if he could work similar magic on Ladd and get that off the books?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I was thinking about this today. What will Lou do before the TDL.

Based on the Isles standings. I think he will hold on to Lee, Nelson, and Eberle.

Much as he did for Bozak and JVR when he was in a similar position last yr.

One thing that he was able to do 3 years ago was unload Phaneuf without retaining any of his salary to Ottawa in what has turned out to be one of the best trades of his GM career. Phaneuf is done and is still making 7M per.

Wonder if he could work similar magic on Ladd and get that off the books?

Shedding Ladd's contract is something done in the offseason, not at the TDL.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Shedding Ladd's contract is something done in the offseason, not at the TDL.
Perhaps more likely. Ladd has not played for awhile. I thought of Phaneuf and how Lou was able to miraculously deal him without retaining a cent on his contract. This is why Ladd crossed my mind. Looks impossible, but I would have never thought a team would have taken Phaneuf's 7M + years contract. Maybe Lou has some magic left?

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Perhaps more likely. Ladd has not played for awhile. I thought of Phaneuf and how Lou was able to miraculously deal him without retaining a cent on his contract. This is why Ladd crossed my mind. Looks impossible, but I would have never thought a team would have taken Phaneuf's 7M + years contract. Maybe Lou has some magic left?
Too bad Chia isn’t around :(

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I heard Lou on Prime time sports with McCowan and Shannon before the season began, and I think he is a better GM now than when he was with NJ. The reason was he cited hockey is constantly evolving and for him to use methodology from the 80's to the game now would be foolhardy. But saying this, he values things that never change to newer things that the game has introduced.

One thing that Lou has always valued is Goaltending and defence. I think Mark Hunter had a pronounced effect on how he views players today. Hunter likes skill, and it's funny because I recall him being asked which players he was high on for the 2015 draft and 2 players that came up were Rantanten, and Barzal.

One thing I will agree on is Lou runs a very tight ship. A deal will come out of nowhere. There are no leaks from his front office.

I do think he will make some moves, we will just have to wait and see what they are.

Also I like this saying from Lou. When people were using back pressure as a new hockey term. He said and I am paraphrasing this, but yes I like back pressure. We used to call it back checking in our day. That was typical Lou.
Lou is the same and always has been the same... circumstances change, Lou does not. He works on guided principals, axioms that never change.

I have been a Devils fan since they moved from Colorado and I have known Lou's career since Providence College... you guys are extremely lucky to have him.

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
Lou is the same and always has been the same... circumstances change, Lou does not. He works on guided principals, axioms that never change.

I have been a Devils fan since they moved from Colorado and I have known Lou's career since Providence College... you guys are extremely lucky to have him.
In Lou we trust....

Reactions: Aethon

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Saw a shot of Lou in the pressbox on the tube scribbling something down, he was scouting the game by himself seemingly.

I think this year despite the pleasant season is still an evaluation season. It would not surprise me his plan will take action this summer when he resets the roster.

It's going to be a busy one IMO. Isles are in good hands. Take solace in this Isles fans.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Saw a shot of Lou in the pressbox on the tube scribbling something down, he was scouting the game by himself seemingly.

I think this year despite the pleasant season is still an evaluation season. It would not surprise me his plan will take action this summer when he resets the roster.

It's going to be a busy one IMO. Isles are in good hands. Take solace in this Isles fans.

100%. Just about everyone in management would be speechless back in July if we knew this season would go so well. The team's flaws are becoming very apparent now, but Lou will be on it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
100%. Just about everyone in management would be speechless back in July if we knew this season would go so well. The team's flaws are becoming very apparent now, but Lou will be on it.

Lou never really had a chance to test the UFA market. He was always behind the 8 ball with Traitor stretching out his inevitable Pajama party. This year he has had a year to look at the organization from head to toe, and knowing him he won't be shy to improve the team. It's going to be an exciting summer potentially to see what he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad